2K12 Modding

DonSPa

With 2k12 almost upon us i didnt wanna go off topic on the 2k12 preview topic.

Im going to try and see if i can get 2k12 and not sure after this year where the modding community will stand since this is supposedly 2ks last year.Not sure when the next generation of of BB sims start making thier versions if they will have PC games or what and not sure if they will be moddable,But if not, i just wanna thank trues and the mvpmods staff for allowing me to contribute with my uniform mods.I have enjoyed doing them even when 2k made a few things difficult to work with.And thanks for all those who have messaged me and thanked me for the works and those who thought enough to have me do special works.Thanks to those who gave me tips and work arounds.

Thanks to other modders who did faces,rosters,unis,

And a special thanks to the guys who did the mod tool and ty for his roster editor and uniform tool

without these programs the mods could not have been created.Too many names to go thru so a big big thanks to EVERYONE who have contributed thier time and some cases money to make this site the best mods site around.If this is the last then it has been a great time

Im going to try and see if i can get 2k12 and not sure after this year where the modding community will stand since this is supposedly 2ks last year.

Hey Don--

Something worth pointing out which I read about the future of 2K and MLB.

It's true that their exclusivity contract with the league expires after 2012 and they're not expected to have interest in renewing it unless the cost were to drop radically, but the most likely scenario is that no one else will jump in to grab that exclusive rights deal for the same reasons 2K is lacking interest.

What you will probably see beginning in 2013 is a situation where no single entity owns an exclusive MLB rights package and therefore many companies, including 2K, will be able to produce baseball games the right way.

Remember that the 2K exec who claimed they're not in the business to lose money (and that deal supposedly results in about a $40 million annual loss) never said anything about wanting to get out of the baseball game business. If no exclusivity deal is reached between MLB and some other party for 2013 (which is the best bet for where we're headed), there is absolutely no way that 2K will simply drop their baseball division; they have always expressed the desire to avoid becoming a basketball only operation (which is smart).

We will have to see how things break, but don't be too quick to assume that 2012 is the end for MLB 2K and baseball on the PC.

Lets hope not,dont wanna see happen like madden did in football and forget the PC gamers,i know 2k had limits on what they were allowed to do,for example they were not allowed to argue or fight when a hit by pitch or not allowed to use real names of players who hadnt had any major league games which made it a nightmare for everyone who wanted complete rosters of real people.Im not sure if these will ever be allowed but would be a great addition to the realism no matter what company will do future games

Hey Don--

Something worth pointing out which I read about the future of 2K and MLB.

It's true that their exclusivity contract with the league expires after 2012 and they're not expected to have interest in renewing it unless the cost were to drop radically, but the most likely scenario is that no one else will jump in to grab that exclusive rights deal for the same reasons 2K is lacking interest.

What you will probably see beginning in 2013 is a situation where no single entity owns an exclusive MLB rights package and therefore many companies, including 2K, will be able to produce baseball games the right way.

Remember that the 2K exec who claimed they're not in the business to lose money (and that deal supposedly results in about a $40 million annual loss) never said anything about wanting to get out of the baseball game business. If no exclusivity deal is reached between MLB and some other party for 2013 (which is the best bet for where we're headed), there is absolutely no way that 2K will simply drop their baseball division; they have always expressed the desire to avoid becoming a basketball only operation (which is smart).

We will have to see how things break, but don't be too quick to assume that 2012 is the end for MLB 2K and baseball on the PC.

It is not just the licensing fee that is killing 2K on baseball games so to say, it is the R&D which is year round because of the licensing deal with MLB.

If 2K has no contrast with the MLB they will not spend near as much for R&D on the game, while it is true we may see another baseball game from them it will be not much more than a roster update. 2K's baseball game sells for crap, they almost give it away on steam every year for a week or so. The contest drives the console sales but I've never seen it in a top 20 list

About 4 years ago 2K said in an interview their goal was to release a baseball game every 2 years and have the modders fill in the gap year.

Does EA even release sports games on the PC besides soccer?

BTW

2k's new zlib compressed files have 2 headers. One global header for the complete file and the a small header for every item in the file

I'll be doing portraits again, plus I'll have a couple utilities to make modding a little easier

Don, you're contributions have always been much appreciated! But hey, look at MVP still going strong, right? Either way I think this will be a great year for modding with all the tools available out there right now. We may be a small community (2K modding) but it should be a fun and exciting modding year, even if it's our last.

Hey gentlemen, hope all is well! I'll be here for this go around too. We may run into some kinks early on if 2k has implemented this feature with mlb 2k12 as they did in nba, something we should be prepared for...

kraw, if you need help with the potraits again this year, would be more than happy to, or if I can help with any of the tools you are working on, let me know.

• 1 month later...

Ive been teaching myself Photoshop for the last couple of months and have managed to crack out a few decent cyberfaces on 2k11, so I may have a go at cyberfaces for 2k12. I also figured out how to mod equipment, uniforms, and stadium ads, but I am thoroughly impressed by the work that the notable modders have done, so I wont try to compete. lol Also I have a 2012 current roster file on mlb2k11 that I update everyday since the end of last season. Its based off of BSU-FANs final roster update for 2k11, with a few equipment changes(Giants) and CAPs for the more notable int'l free agent signings. I'm happy to share this as a base for anybody that will be posting roster updates throughout the season. I don't expect 2k sports to have accurate rosters anyways