Blue Purple Red Orange Gold Green Teal Chocolate Charcoal
Blue Purple Red Orange Gold Green Teal Chocolate Charcoal

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

donjn

PC Choppiness (long theory and rant to EA)

Hardly noticable for me, but there is some kind of major common conflict that EA has allowed to slip by. So many people having this problem to the point where the game is no longer fun to play! This is just bad buisness. Strangely my system is nearly identical to donjn's system..

xp3000, nforce2 ultra, 1G Corsair, BFG gf6800gt

.. and I never even noticed till I recently found this forum a week ago. I played 2 seasons on 2004 too.

I have no probs at all, although my system is not the best. smooth runs at 1028

P4 1.6

1 gig SDR RAM

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256

I think EA's track record with PC games especially, has always proven to be really bad. Most games they release on PC never play as smooth as they do on console. NBA Live, NHL, Fifa and Madden have always been like this and now MVP is the same thing. It's not because this is the last year that EA is making MVP that they ship the game as is, I think it is done almost intentionally so people are forced to purchase both pc and console versions. EA is well known for releasing games with a ton of bugs (ie Battlefield, MVP 2004) so this is no surprise to me at all that the same problem is occuring with alot of people. I remember the patches from last year improved the stuttering a bit along with lowering the refresh rate to 60hz and turning vsync on. I would like to see EA at least acknowledge the issue.

I have an AMD 64 3500, 1 gig corsair ram and ATI X800 Ultra video card and the stuttering just plain RUINS the game for me. This game was not meant for high end systems, and what sucks is we are stuck with this product (no business I know will take it back). I just hope they patch it. I would have appreciated a warning on the box that this game was not meant for high end systems. But as someone else said, EA doesn't give a crap.

I have noticed that the cameras have a tendency to zoom in while panning at the same time and the view is already pretty close in on Infield play.

I think once someone is able to pull the camera back for infiled play, that might help the situation. I know it did for me on 2k4.

In the mean time I have just underclocked my Radeon 9800 Pro and it plays about 90% smooth now. I put the Anistrophic Filtering to 8X to cure the shimmering glass and I am good to go! Using the Radlinker with the Radeon cards is a piece of cake that handles all that stuff automatically.

Bottom line is I paid my hard eaned money for the PC version and the fact that its STILL choppy is ridiculous. EA better patch it soon. My system is on the upper end and I shouldn't be experiencing any graphical choppiness.

Do you turn on the anti-aliasing and filtering in the driver profiles? Because the in-game graphic settings don't allow for this.

Do you turn on the anti-aliasing and filtering in the driver profiles? Because the in-game graphic settings don't allow for this.

Where would I find in game graphic settings?

i've spent a good deal ttrying to get the most acceptable combo for my vid card the last couple days and i think i know what is happening (sort of). i'm now playing at my desktop res, normal card clocks @ 60hz w/vsync on in RADLINK properties and off in game while getting a constant 60fps with AA @ 6X perf and AF @ 8X perf. there seems to be tearing, no matter that the frames are synced with my monitors refresh rate, which also displays 60hz in its display (on monitor). and this tear seems to hover in the center of the screen but not always. you can see it perfectly at the higher resolutions, it looks like when in the summer you look down a paved road and the heat rises, know what i mean? it's about 10% of the screen but since the camera centers itself on the ball in the middle of the screen it looks like the ball is lagging behind the camera. this is why infeild throws accross the diamond are so poor cause it's smack in the middle of the tear. on balls hit to the fences and the subsequent throws back in it seems to move down a bit, hence why those throws seem somewhat smoother.

now, i've had this monitor 3+ years and i will not leave it out of the question as being the culprit but since this is the ONLY time i get tearing like this i cannot rule out this game.

I've got the same problem with a 2400M@2.5ghz - 2X512MB XMS3200LL - Abit AN7 - 6800LE 256MB. I hoped it would be better this year (played with a 9700pro last year) but the lagginess is still there. I'm using the 66.93's also at 1024X768 4XAA 8XAF, i'll try 16XAf and see if that helps.

I get crazy choppiness too but mostly on throws. I am not even sure if my graphix card is good or what, someone tell me.

It's a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra. I have 1GB ram and a 3Ghz processer. Hopefully EA patches it but I read somewhere else that you can change some system settings. I can't find that thread though now.

I get crazy choppiness too but mostly on throws. I am not even sure if my graphix card is good or what, someone tell me.

It's a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra. I have 1GB ram and a 3Ghz processer. Hopefully EA patches it but I read somewhere else that you can change some system settings. I can't find that thread though now.

That's a good card and your system should run this game fine.

My system is a dual Athlon MP 1800+ with 1GB of memory, and I am running the ATI Sapphire Radeon 9000 with the latest driver, and I too am getting the "stuttering effect." I have tried every configuration I can think of, and nothing works. I do agree that the game is a major improvement over last years, however this choppiness, and a lack of a fix, is ruining things.

AceMan

Same exact problems here :(. I have a new Dell Inspiron XPS Laptop (3.2 Ghz P4 w/1 Gig PC3200 Dual Channel RAM, 60 Gig 7200 RPM Hardrive, and ATI Mobility Radeon 9800 Video Card (256 MB). I have tried various settings (AA, AF, VSYNC, etc.) and nothing really seems to help the stuttering. I get the horizontal line tearing across the center of the screen no matter what setting I have. I also have Madden 2K5 (PC) and that runs a little smoother but not great. NBA Live 2k5 runs great! Also have MVP 2K5 (XBOX) and that is somewhat choppy compared to ESPN MLB 2K5. EA really needs to work on these issues (just wish other companies would get involved in the PC sports game arena to keep the product process improvement competition alive and well). Although MVP 2K5 does have some noticable improvements over MVP 2K4 I think they failed miserably in fixing the obvious framerate issues. With that said, if it were not for EA, we would not even have a PC baseball game to complain about! Baseball for life :). Take care.