Those Big Colored Balls?

furball

Ok, so I'm at bat and suddenly the pitch coming to me is covered by a big red or green or blue or yellow ball. I have batter view turned on and am playing on a PC, but the darn big red or green ball - or whatever color - completely COVERS my view of the incoming pitch!

When do I swing? It seems like that big colored ball ruined my opportunity to time my swing! Any thoughts?

Plus, of course, what do the colors mean? Is RED a hard swing like in MVP2005? What does GREEN mean, etc?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, scottybilly!

Kccitystar, as scotty says, you have to have batter's eye turned on. Go to Options, Difficulty Sliders, then, under User Settings-Batting, you will see a slider for Batter's Eye frequency. This, I believe, is the percentage of pitches you will be told (in text, at the top of the batter window) what type of pitch is coming - you're told just after the pitcher throws. Some lesser percentage of the time, you will get a colored ball in the strike zone.

I'm guessing the location of the colored ball is the location of the pitch. And I've finally figured out the color corresponds to the pitch type. For the pitcher I was facing to test this, Green was Fastball, Red-Curveball, Blue-2Seam, Yellow-Slider and White-Changeup. And while I have no evidence to support it, I'm wondering if the percentage of time you see that colored ball on a pitch might be based on both the Batter's Eye difficulty slider, but also on the batter's eye rating of the player at bat.

As Crites pointed out, the problem is that the colored ball covers up the actual pitched ball, screwing up your timing. (Although now that I know what the colors mean, this may be mitigated.) By the way, you can see the color coding by hitting the right directional button when the pitcher "sets." This brings up the Inside Edge report for that pitcher. Hit it a second time and you will see the color code for the pitches next to the tendency% for each pitch-type.

Edited by furball