How To Hit Home Runs?

tyler93

Howdy

I recently re-installed MVP 05 on my laptop and am playing with the keyboard. I was a huge fan back in the day on my xbox and used to be pretty good in my own right. Anyway I can't hit a home run at all. i am playing as the Yankees so I should be able to smash a few homers, but I never get it over the fence.

Is it as simple as better timing? I'm hitting the down arrow to swing. Do I have to hit something else to aim my hit or something?

Thanks guys. I'm using MVP 12 if that matters at all.

The Xbox version played differently as well. But smacking 13 HR's in a game is just as unexciting as hitting none. I think you want to go for realism. Hitting HR"s is also based on what level and what slider set you use.

As far as controllers, my preference is the Saitek models.

I'm a keyboard guy as well. I've been getting better with time, going further and further each time but I still haven't hit one out. I tried with a controller but I just suck with it. I've never liked controllers. I can barely swing properly. (Maybe I should just insist a little bit or watch a tutorial on how to hit or something, but for the time being I'll keep trying with the keyboard)

Maybe it's just a timing issue. Or just adjusting from 2K12 to MVP.

Controllers for the most part for me seem connected in an imagic way for me.... and with MVP the layout is typically pretty sound. Here's an example of a game I had today.... and I don't consider myself a HR hitter in the least, but right pitch, swing, condition, timing and you've got it. And I don't "pre-load" as described above by dannyt. I generally move the stick right at the last second to the zone I'm keying in on. In the example, it was pretty atypical in terms of number of hits total. And I didn't get going until the 4th inning as you can see. The Pence salami in the 1st was on a mistake pitch by Lee (me) and it was deserved, especially with the wind blowing right to left and strong. The Utley slam I just caught in the lefty power zone (down/in). It was more of a reaction swing vs. I was looking there, but I caught every bit of it and upper decked it. The Rollins slam barely eeked over the left field fence. Overall, though, you see pretty realistic pitch totals and Lee didn't have a great day, with his offense bailing him out. Overall 27 hits, but only 5 extra base hits (and I usually can get my share of double, but it just didn't present itself). So the possibilities are there.

By the way, this is the controller I'm using and I absolutely love it.

B000075B5V.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

PHI7.zip

sabugo..

i am with you man.

can't stand controllers.

i thought that if i used the up arrow while swinging i would get the same

effect as dannyt but it just doesn't seem to work that way.

i can't hit home runs using the keyboard either.

I don't pre-load either,but to hit an HR that's a proven method. I was just trying out MVP12 on the stock settings which was all sliders at "0" and pro-mode. So far after 19 games Matt Kemp has 16 HRs so I agree with you daflyboys, kinda unexciting. I'll have to adjust for difficulty.

So, speaking of difficulty, does anyone have any interesting slider combos or recommended datafiles? (This may be for another thread) The hitting seems way easy so far, but the pitching seems great. On the same game in which I hit 13 Hrs, Clayton Kershaw was hit for 5 runs all off mistimed pitches.

I can certainly do that when I get home...... sliders and datafile / game conditions. I wanted to post another game where Hamels (me) faced Miley as a contrast to the above file I attached, but the BSE screwed up as I may have ran it too late and it recorded another game strangely. But it was a 3-2 loss where I gave up a late solo shot by ARI that barely cleared the LCF fence. Less hits in game as well. ARI also took a couple of balls to the fence. I also hit a foul ball HR with Hamels. One of those games where when you lose, you still have to say to yourself it was a helluva game.

Keep in mind I use a classic pitch mod, so I see no pitch meter. I use the attached datafile w/ pitch 6/bat 4 (which included the modifications I made for batting World Series '98 style). The only visuals I keep on are the ball catch indicator/assist; no vector line.

Daflyboys All-Star Sliders Classic Pitch Mod.zip

datafile 06-16-12 batting adjustments.zip

Keep in mind I use a classic pitch mod, so I see no pitch meter. I use the attached datafile w/ pitch 6/bat 4 (which included the modifications I made for batting World Series '98 style). The only visuals I keep on are the ball catch indicator/assist; no vector line.

Hey, if you don't mind can you post some screen grabs of your classic pitch mod and some shots when you are batting? This really has me interested.

Here Yank..... this is a pretty good one, though big, when I posted the datafile a while ago. The pitch view if pretty much the standard behind the pitcher, though I'm thinking of doing a comparable "pitcher's eye" view mod.

http://www.mvpmods.c...s&showfile=7302

And here's the guide for doing it (pretty sure this was kyleb's which I re-wrote slightly) -- .doc attached.

Changing the Pitch Meter Placement.doc