Pete Rose

NewYork

Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame ?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm undecided.

I said yes, and I'll tell you why:

I don't think the gambling stuff should be a measure on how great of a player he was. I do however think the Hall of Fame should be reserved for those who played the game cleanly, or at least within the acceptable parameters of society at a given time, and excelled on the field.

Is he a liar? Yes

Was he a great player? Yes

Did his gambling and lying affect the game or what happened on the field? As much as we want to, we will never know.

His career will always and forever be mentioned with an asterisk. But the fact is, he is the all-time hits leader, and that alone should get him in.

• 2 weeks later...

It's an absolutely joke that baseball's all-time hits leader is NOT in the Hall of Fame. If I could replace Selig today, inducting Rose into Cooperstown would be the very first thing I would do.

the HOF Veterans Committee has the final say, not Selig.

i suppose if Selig lifted the "banned for life" thing the committee might reconsider. even if he did, theres no guarantee.

Rose has burned too many bridges with people and he is unlikeable as a human being which is the real problem.

Rose has burned too many bridges with people and he is unlikeable as a human being which is the real problem.

If I were Dimaggio, Ruth, Gherig, etc., players that honored that game with tremendous pride, I'd turn in my grave if I knew Rose's picture was hung beside mine in the HOF.

To me, the game isn't just about numbers, it's a game/tradition that is bigger than all of us. A way of life. There is without a doubt Pete Rose's numbers belong in the HOF, and I felt honored to see him play -- he was the epitome of what a baseball player could become. As a player/manager, he bet on his own team. That's cheating, and there is simply no room for it in any professional sport.

LOL, I doubt everyone in the hall of fame was a likable guy. Read about Ty Cobb.

Here's something to get you started:

By the time he was elected to the Hall of Fame, Cobb had become a heavy smoker and drinker, and spent a great deal of time complaining about modern-day players' lack of fundamental skills.[13] He had positive things to say about Stan Musial, Phil Rizzuto and Jackie Robinson, but few others...

Also, I don't see how a player has to be likable to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. It's the baseball Hall of Fame - nothing more nothing less.

Hell, Mickey Mantle was a ***** to his fans. That last statement you made is pretty stupid honestly.

Edited by NewYork

LOL, I doubt everyone in the hall of fame was a likable guy. Read about Ty Cobb.

There's a lot of guys in the Hall of Fame that were not likeable people to be around. You used Ty Cobb because that was the easiest and most obvious example.

Go look up Rogers Hornsby. While he was no Ty Cobb this guy wasn't pleasant to be around either.

Here's something to get you started:

By the time he was elected to the Hall of Fame, Cobb had become a heavy smoker and drinker, and spent a great deal of time complaining about modern-day players' lack of fundamental skills.[13] He had positive things to say about Stan Musial, Phil Rizzuto and Jackie Robinson, but few others...

No thanks. I don't listen to anyone who has to cut and paste from Wikipedia to try and make a point. How about trying to read a book to find out more about Cobb instead of relying on a Wiki entry?

Also, I don't see how a player has to be likable to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. It's the baseball Hall of Fame - nothing more nothing less.

Hell, Mickey Mantle was a ***** to his fans. That last statement you made is pretty stupid honestly.

This last statement made by you was pretty stupid too. Honestly, it was.

The guy that you quoted, jogar84, did not say Rose had to be likeable to get into the Hall of Fame. He never even came close to saying it. He said Rose burned too many bridges with people. I am guessing that he means that Rose spent years and years denying he bet on baseball and once he realized that was getting him nowhere he decided to confess everything. That's just my guess. And the last part he said that Rose is unlikeable as a human being and all I can say is if you want examples of what jogar meant then go buy a book on Rose and you'll see how unlikeable he was. Rose wasn't even popular with his Reds teammates because his personal stats always came first.

Guys like Wade Boggs were not exactly the most popular players either but he got in. That's because he didn't bet on the game. Orlando Cepeda was in prison for almost a year after he got arrested in 1975 for smuggling marijuana down in Puerto Rico. He did not get selected to the Hall of Fame but he did get in by the Veterans Committee in 1999. Again, he didn't bet on baseball.

My point is that there are players in the Hall of Fame that may not have been the nicest or most popular or have done something to tarnish their image but they are in. And all of them are in because they did not bet on the game.

No thanks. I don't listen to anyone who has to cut and paste from Wikipedia to try and make a point. How about trying to read a book to find out more about Cobb instead of relying on a Wiki entry?

LOL, whatta pretentious a**hole you are.

Honestly, you're a huge douche bag. Ban me if you want. I can't stand your bull**** anymore. You make this forum so annoying to read. Who the hell do you think you are exactly ? You're so full of yourself. Please, put me out of my misery and ban me.

Also, since I'm on the internet, I'm not gonna quote a book, jerkoff, so I quoted an information website.

Edited by Jim825

Well, what can you do when you get a response like that? You just walk away.

Agree.

Can't we all just agree on:

A) Pete Rose is a lying SOB who did in fact burn a lot of bridges, and shouldn't be surprised when people just don't like him for that.

B) Pete Rose was a great player, despite the fact that he was not a very good person or teammate.

C) Pete Rose screwed himself out of the HOF beacuse he gambled on his own team. Wheter he always bet on his team to win is besides the point. He just messed with the truth of the results when he decided it was alright to gamble on his teams.

D) Pete Rose will eventually be inducted in the HOF, it's just a matter of 50 years going by and not being anybody alive from his time to say: 'Hey, I knew this guy, he was a dumbass'.

E) Pete Rose's career will ALWAYS be mentioned with an asterisk.

LOL, whatta pretentious a**hole you are.

Honestly, you're a huge douche bag. Ban me if you want. I can't stand your bull**** anymore. You make this forum so annoying to read. Who the hell do you think you are exactly ? You're so full of yourself. Please, put me out of my misery and ban me.

Also, since I'm on the internet, I'm not gonna quote a book, jerkoff, so I quoted an information website.

Your wish is my command. Consider it done.....

There is no place for comments like that on this site. Attacking other members like that is clearly against forum rules.

This topic has not been closed.