Offline Slider Set (All-Star Level)

Gordo

Currently trying to refine a slider set / gameplay conditions package to give a more realistic look, feel and play on All-Star level. The end result would basically involve a minimal amount of screen clutter utilizing classic pitching. In other words, just like playing a sport, you want to perform by the "muscle memory" of the game and how well you know your players (especially pitchers) versus a bunch of meters and numbers. Unfortunately, I haven't found a viable way to get rid of the catch circle because of how difficult it is to emulate 3D vision.

So this will include a file that will take the pitch meter off the screen and eliminate most pre- and post-pitch visuals. I'm trying to reduce the size of the catch circle as well (see below).

The difficulty is in finding the right marriage between pitch sliders, datafile.txt (to which I made a bunch of adjustments last night, much to my liking in hit variety and improved behavior in the ball, including significanlty less outlandishly high choppers, hitting the ball too early in front of the plate excessively, bloopers, liners, hit speed to balls getting through to the outfield, but not sacrificing the long ball), and roster percentages. The largest curiousity is that I can put HR % on zero, contact and power on (-)50 and the cpu will still knock out 2 or 3 in a game. Therefore, some of this will be on the player and actually "pitch" to a given player instead of thinking you can overpower or fool every player within the strike zone, though running the risk you're going to walk one or multiple batters.

Currently testing where I'm at so stay tuned. If anyone can help me with the .fsh file for the catch circle, let me know...... for some reason I can't keep photoshop adjustments I make from crashing when I recompress to .fsh. (yet I did it before).

Update. 2 very different results and pretty thankful for them. The 3rd Texas/TB game ended in very dramatic (but frustrating) fashion, though it did inch me to the results I want. Tried to preserve a 6-4 lead in the 9th with Nathan as my closer and, in short, gave up a 2 run dinger to Longoria on a 0-2 count with 2 outs! TB came back in extra innings to win it. Again.... results I don't mind though since I've said before that you need to really try to pitch to win, not hope the other team fails.

Re-simming a short season and who I could take into another experiment, without changing sliders from the 3rd TEX/TB game, I settled on CLE who played the NYY. Decided to set the respective aces against each other and that's how they pitched. In fact, I couldn't muster more that 3 hits off CC with this Indians lineup. And, only 1 Yankee dinger to boot (Granderson) with Cabrera almost lining one out later in the game. Good stats overall and I'm going to stick with this set up through this series, hoping I can take it to at least 4 games.

TEX3.rar

CLE1.rar

This is the game I was looking for!

Wanted to see how a relatively good control pitcher could handle a beastly batting lineup. Lee & the Phils vs. Wainwright & the Cards. Bleak early going as Lee gives up an early lead and I'm wondering can I calm him down and get a grip on the game. With 1 out in the opening frame, a Jon Jay single gave way to a Holliday 2 run blast with the wind in Busch to RF. But all 3 outs were hard hit balls that Rollins, Pierre and Howard all had to make good plays on.

Lee calmed down in the second retiring the side cleanly including recording his 1st of 8 K's.

In the T3, Dom Brown got his pitch. A high outside fast one that he lined just over the LF wall. Then with 2 outs, Polanco walked followed by consecutive doubles via Utley and Howard, tacking on 2 more runs.

The big defensive moment came in the 4th when with 2 outs, with Beltran already been walked, Freese hit a deep rolling double to RCF that Brown kept from going to the wall and alertly pushed in to Utley as the cutoff who, though throwing wide left, threw in Ruiz' glove as Beltran attempted to slide under, saving the equalizer. StL again threatened in the 8th to a more fatigued Cliff Lee, hitting back to back singles via Descalso and Furcal. But Lee buckled down retiring Jay, Holliday (K) and Beltran consecutively. Earlier, the Phils added an insurance run with a lead off single by Howard who was pulled for the faster Mayberry. This proved to be a key move as Mayberry eventually scored after he moved to 3rd with 2 outs and Dom Brown singling for his 2nd RBI of the day.

Lee started the 9th and made quick work of Lance Berkman. Papelbon recorded consecutive easy fly outs by Molina and Freese to preserve the win.

This game really called for settling down mentally and not letting the early bomb ruin the day. Throwing the necessary combination of pitches and balls and K's seemed to keep the Cards a bit on their heels. In-game stats wise, things went well including number of pitches overall. Lee was pulled on his 101st pitch and their was no reason to put him up against 2 very dangerous righty batters at that juncture. It was also important to keep him going as long as possible as the Phils bullpen has shown high levels of inconsistency.

PHI12.zip

Very slight adjustment and a similar type game. This time took Matusz and the O's vs. the Tigers. Matusz only has decent control at best (60's for most pitches). I think what this game told me is that my pitch control setting is too good and need to knock it down some. The pen guys I brought in did pretty much what would be expected, giving up a hit each in 2 innings, but Matusz registering 6 K's in 7 innings and only 1 ER is a bit too good. So a bit more pitching adjustments. A fun game nonetheless.

BAL13.zip

Significantly knocked human pitch control down (to some previous levels actually) as well as a 1 tick slow down on base stealing for both sides. This time it was Tommy Hunter going up against some good Twins hitting. Hunter has even slightly lesser control than Matusz, so it was a good set up for the experiment. The Twins were slated to put their #5 Hendriks on the mound so it was also time to see if I could make short work of him. The latter part got answered by the 3rd inning when I chased Hendriks after recording 4 runs and pushed him to pitch close to 50 pitches. Hunter had his own early trouble giving up a solo shot to Justin Morneau. He was also subject to the 1-2 punch of Span and Revere drawing the Twins closer in the 5th. But in the bottom of that frame, the O's tacked on 2 more against the Twins long reliever Swarzak for his only black eye. A fatigued Hunter stepped on the rubber in the 6th and could not record an out, giving up another bomb, this time to Dozier who had 1 on. An additional walk a two singles brought the Twins back to within just one run 6-5. Jim Johnson was not without some 9th inning stress, however, after Morneau (4 for 5, HR and a double), smacked a 2 out double to LF. Johnson pitched around Doumit before intentionally walking him in order to face the right bat of Dozier. Dozier went down on a big curve to preserve the 6-5 final.

Take a look at the final pitch counts.

Also noteworthy is that the O's pulled this victory off with only 1 extra base hit, a double by Markakis.

BAL14.zip

• 3 weeks later...

For those who aren't aware this is available in the recent Sim Game Play Pack I put out. To get the full effect, follow my suggestions completely. The reason I came up with this was because I wasn't getting struck out enough on All-Star level, but MVP level seemed really to over-favor the cpu. It wasn't that I was necessarily winning more on All-Star, I just wasn't getting struck out enough. If you try this and get frustrated at first, I'd recommend playing about 20 games before you really get a feel for it..... even lower inning games (but not lower than 5). However, play 9 innings, because the fatigue effect really plays into it for pitchers. See the attached files. I'm in a post-season series right now with Phi v Was (ya, I know, my fantasy). Game 1 and Game 2 are stark contrasts actually for both sides pitchers. I had to start with Cliff Lee since Hamels would not be ready until gm 2. But the Nats and Strasburg were rested. Also, I had been struggling with Lee, especially since I lowered his control abilities in light of last year. Game 2 shows a rested and strong Hamels, but the effects of a fatiguing Hamels by game's end. It was a tense 9th inning!

Daflyboys' Sim Game Play Pack ====> http://www.mvpmods.c...s&showfile=7668

PHI6.rar

PHI7.rar

Take a look at the final pitch counts.

Also noteworthy is that the O's pulled this victory off with only 1 extra base hit, a double by Markakis.

This is fantastic. These are pitch counts that you would see in a typical game like this with a lot of hitting and runs being scored. What stood out for me was Hendriks of Minnesota (2 2/3 IP, 48 pitches) Baltimore's O'Day (1/3 IP, 17 pitches) and Jim Johnson pitching one inning for the save and throwing 21 pitches.

I tried the Sim Game play pack you uploaded and it chewed me up and kicked me out. In other words I got beat bad. But I'm a stubborn sort and I'm going back to it.

Too bad this modification of yours can't be implemented in the 2013 mod.

Actually it can...... it could be included as an "extras" type of file, if kyle wants to include it. Actually I'd also like to implement (I believe it's) Trues" directly behind the pitcher cam. I think it's actually called "batter 6 cam".... gotta look further.

Actually it can...... it could be included as an "extras" type of file, if kyle wants to include it. Actually I'd also like to implement (I believe it's) Trues" directly behind the pitcher cam. I think it's actually called "batter 6 cam".... gotta look further.

That sounds good and scary at the same time. :D

Gm 3 and look at the pitch totals in keeping with the overall stats. The only glaring out-of-the-ordinary stat is the BB by Zimmerman. He and Mattheus actually walked in a run each back to back. The other thing I don't like, but can't do anything about (unless I take over for the cpu's decisions) is that it's not bringing in stronger relievers especially late. Well, that and not bringing in a good pitching matchup.

The dinger given up by Doc was so absolutely legit. Too meaty of a 2 seamer and it was heartily deposited with a strong RF wind blowing. In fact that was the wind that helped Ben Revere get his second in the playoffs and I mean it was by red hairs!!

PHI8.rar