Where Did Dylanbradbury Go? (I'm Back!)

Rather than hijacking other users’ posts, I wanted to explain my disappearance from MVPMods in this thread…

2012 was–without a doubt–the strangest year of my life. It started out normal, but in mid-April, I had a tonic-clonic (they used to be called grand-mal) seizure. I had never had one before, so it was a very scary experience for me.

I was in a ton of pain. It was like I was in a really bad fight, where didn’t defend myself, and I got beaten really badly. But, after undergoing a multitude of tests, they concluded it was likely a one-time thing.

Unfortunately it wasn’t…

I had another seizure in August.

Then two more seizures, one day in September.

Then four more seizures, all in one day in December.

After having my second seizure, doctors diagnosed me with epilepsy. I was put on medication. Unfortunately, it turned out I was severely allergic to this medication. I started seeing things, wanting to do dangerous things, experiencing really violent thoughts.

My neurologist assured me that I’d be fine, refusing to take me off the medication. (He also didn’t believe I had third seizure, as “a seizure’s only a seizure if there’s someone there to witness it.”

Needless to say after my forth seizure, we found a new neurologist, who put me on different medication.

Along with the immediate side-effect of my seizures–a great deal of pain–I also experienced a ton of other ill effects.

I lost a ton of memory. I could be introduced to someone, and then not remember being meeting that person at all.

I had forgotten a bunch of bigger stuff too. Things like having no idea that Barack Obama was President of the United States, Michael Jackson was dead, or that Whitney Houston had passed away.

I was floored–and thoroughly overjoyed–that the Blue Jays had reverted back to their old logo and uniforms, and ditched the angry-Jay regalia.

My short-term memory was really affected too. I couldn’t enjoy TV, as I couldn’t follow plots, or remember if characters were good or bad. I’d struggle reading books for the same reason.

I also had a lot of trouble focusing. I’d start a project, abandon it, start another, etc.

Needless to say, MVPMods hasn’t been on the forefront of my agenda.

However, I’ve been seizure-free (knock-on-wood), for a while now and I’m pretty sure my memory and focus are back to their pre-seizure strength.

After creating a 2013 MLB Schedule for MVP, I realized there was a need to update my Schedule Generator as well, with the Astros move to the AL West. I didn’t want to upload them too far apart in terms of time; so last night when I (finally) finished updating the schedule generator, I logged in to MVPMods, and uploaded them both.

It feels great to be back. I'm very glad a lot of friendly users are still here. It was nice to be welcomed back so kindly and warmly this morning.

I just wanted to let you all know, I didn't choose to temporarily abandon MVPMods, my brain just chose to temporarily abandon me.

Hopefully (again, knock-on-wood) I’m here to stay.

Take care,

Dylan

c6ubz5M.gif

What a disturbing read this was because I know how young this kid is and I also knew that something very serious had to keep him away from this website for such a long period of time.

First of all I am glad you are back here Dylan but returning here is not the most important thing you've done these past few months. You've gone through hell and on more than one occasion I may add. More important than returning here you found a second neurologist that has seemed to help you a lot more than your first one did. To me that is more prominent than coming back here to release a schedule.

Epilepsy is a serious thing although you don't have to be told this. I just hope that now that the problem has been addressed and dealt with you will be able to keep it under control and manageable. Did you know that Tony Lazzeri was epileptic? I've known this for years but never appreciated how tough it must have been for him until I read about what you went through.

But it does go without saying welcome back to Mvpmods!

Here are a few things you missed:

1. Mvp 2012. The mod itself plus two patches for it.

2. Total Classics 1962.

3. Mvp Caribe 2012.

4. Dennis James releasing just about every uniform ever made and being elected to sainthood.

What a disturbing read this was because I know how young this kid is and I also knew that something very serious had to keep him away from this website for such a long period of time.

First of all I am glad you are back here Dylan but returning here is not the most important thing you've done these past few months. You've gone through hell and on more than one occasion I may add. More important than returning here you found a second neurologist that has seemed to help you a lot more than your first one did. To me that is more prominent than coming back here to release a schedule.

Epilepsy is a serious thing although you don't have to be told this. I just hope that now that the problem has been addressed and dealt with you will be able to keep it under control and manageable. Did you know that Tony Lazzeri was epileptic? I've known this for years but never appreciated how tough it must have been for him until I read about what you went through.

But it does go without saying welcome back to Mvpmods!

Here are a few things you missed:

1. Mvp 2012. The mod itself plus two patches for it.

2. Total Classics 1962.

3. Mvp Caribe 2012.

4. Dennis James releasing just about every uniform ever made and being elected to sainthood.

Thanks for the response, Y4L!

2012 was definitely not my favourite year.

I didn’t know about Tony Lazzeri, but it sparked my interest in other athletes–including baseball players–who had or have epilepsy:

Grover Cleveland Alexander

Tony Lazzeri

Hal Lanier (His epilepsy diagnoses is in doubt, some sources say he had it and some say he didn’t. Also, it mentions that his seizures may have been caused by a severe beaning, which would’ve ruled out epilepsy.)

Buddy Bell

Greg Walker (He actually had a seizure on the field during batting practice before a game: http://articles.lati...797_1_white-sox)

You mentioned how my second neurologist has been much more helpful than my first, which is certainly true. After my first and second seizures, he asked me if I had any questions. This was extremely annoying, how could I think of any questions, after barely understanding the diagnosis?

It’s really amazing how little is known about the brain, seizures, and epilepsy, as well as how many misconceptions there are. For instance:

- There are many types of seizures. For instance absence seizures are where the victim will just “go blank.” The type of seizure I experience are called “tonic-clonic,” which is where the victim will start to convulse or shake violently.

- There are different levels of severity within different types of seizures. For instance, my first seizure, I actually stopped breathing. Florence Griffith-Joyner, the “fastest woman of all time,” died of suffocation during a seizure in her sleep.

- Epilepsy can only be diagnoses when all other potential causes of seizures (Multiple Sclerosis, alcohol withdrawal, brain tumours, diabetes, viruses, lesions on your brain, brain injuries (like Hal Lanier’s beaning), etc.) are ruled out, and the victim’s had more than one seizure.

- Some people with epilepsy know when a seizure is coming; some have no warning signs (like me.)

- Epilepsy can be diagnosed at any age.

- Epilepsy is not genetic.

- Never put a spoon or other object in a person who's having a seizure's mouth. It's a wives' tale that you can swallow your tongue.

Thanks for filling me in on what I missed. I thoroughly enjoyed point number four! (DennisJames for Pope?) And thanks again for welcoming me back to MVPMods, Y4L; it’s great to be back. HxIKfkS.gif

P.S. Sorry it took so long to write back. I had everything typed out, and then accidentally closed my browser.A0KVeAj.gif

I didn’t know about Tony Lazzeri, but it sparked my interest in other athletes–including baseball players–who had or have epilepsy:

Grover Cleveland Alexander

Tony Lazzeri

Hal Lanier (His epilepsy diagnoses is in doubt, some sources say he had it and some say he didn’t. Also, it mentions that his seizures may have been caused by a severe beaning, which would’ve ruled out epilepsy.)

Buddy Bell

Greg Walker (He actually had a seizure on the field during batting practice before a game: http://articles.lati...797_1_white-sox)

Well I knew about Alexander. The poor guy was stricken with some nerve gas during the first World War and never was the same after that. The other guys I did not know about.

Thanks for filling me in on what I missed. I thoroughly enjoyed point number four! (DennisJames for Pope?) And thanks again for welcoming me back to MVPMods, Y4L; it’s great to be back.

No problem at all. We're glad you are back but more importantly happy you are feeling much better. I hope you never have any problems again.

P.S. Sorry it took so long to write back. I had everything typed out, and then accidentally closed my browser.

Don't worry about it!

Well I knew about Alexander. The poor guy was stricken with some nerve gas during the first World War and never was the same after that. The other guys I did not know about.

No problem at all. We're glad you are back but more importantly happy you are feeling much better. I hope you never have any problems again.

Don't worry about it!

Thanks for replying!

I'm happy to be back and hope I never have any more health problems, too. (Again, knock-on-wood.)

E9k9D4l.gif

glad to see you back db.

Thanks, Homer!

Welcome back Dylan we miss you badly...

I missed you guys, too, laroquece!

Good to hear you're doing better, and welcome back!

I'm glad to be doing better! Thanks for welcoming me back, JR!

Wow, Dylan, what a wild ride you have been on. I am glad everything seems to be getting better for you my friend, stay strong, and you'll persevere over this!

DJ, you're right: 2012 was certainly a wild ride, one that I'd rather not have been on. Thanks for the kind words of encouragement, too DJ!

• 1 month later...

Holy Hell - I don't hit these forums that often anymore but just read through your ordeal. What a nightmare. I'm glad that it sounds like you are back on the recovery track.

Best wishes to you!

Thank-you very much for the reply, golfguy10!

Unfortunately, the medication that had been working has ceased its effectiveness. On March 7th, I had a seizure in my sleep; and on April 11th and 12th, I had three more seizures.

From what I've been told, finding the right medication is a lot of guess and check work for epilepsy. I'm seeing my neurologist later this week, and hopefully we'll find what works for me.

Thanks again for the reply, and take care!

From what I've been told, finding the right medication is a lot of guess and check work for epilepsy. I'm seeing my neurologist later this week, and hopefully we'll find what works for me.

Let me know, ok? I'm concerned about what's going on with you. Besides I have to look out for people born on my birthday. :)

Let me know, ok? I'm concerned about what's going on with you. Besides I have to look out for people born on my birthday. :)

Thanks, Y4L. E9k9D4l.gif

Hopefully, what my neurologist decides to do works. The odd thing with epilepsy is they only know when medication stops working, not if it is.

I really do appreciate your concern.