2K13 Conspiracy Theory

Hollywood70

I posted this in the 2K forums, but it's really difficult to get much in the way of intelligent conversation over there:

it would seem that the only person who has any pull with 2K regarding MLB is Bud Selig. I suspect that 2K doesn't even care if they make money on this game, and that MLB is making sure they get some form of compensation. Theory being that out of desperation to have a Major League Baseball game available for XBOX, MLB has probably made it worth their while. Heck, for all we know, 2K has been paid a flat fee and have already washed their hands of 2K13.

Hard to think of other reasons why they flagrantly flipped PC gamers the bird and don't respond to queries of any kind -- unless they truly have no clue how to run a business, which I suspect isn't the case.

Anyone else think this could be the case?

2K has no real interest in the PC sports game market because we don't make them enough money for them to throw us a bone and make a 2K13 PC release.

NBA 2K gets PC versions because their game is wildly successful regardless of whether or not us PC guys make any noise.

Oh, I agree completely regarding PC. My theory is about the series as a whole. I question whether they even care about the platfrorms that they actually published for.

Honestly, I believe that 2K is in a tough spot ever since they made that MLB deal.

To me, I feel that 2K Sports (Visual Concepts or Kush Games) as a whole had literally no idea that 989 Sports (now SCEA San Diego) would step their game up over the years incrementally as much as they did the past 7 years since the MLB deal was made to create a fun, realistic game of baseball. They did have something special to build on with the Kush Games versions of MLB2K (2K7 and 2K8) but I don't know what happened after that.

It's rare that the person who buys something of great value to the owner treats it as well as the original owner did. That's kind of how I feel things have gone since Kush disbanded and development was passed to its parent, VC. And it's not as if VC didn't try to give us a better and better game each year - it did. But I don't feel as though the game was treated with the same levels of responsibility and passion as it may have been should the original Kush team decided to continue working on its creations.

I often wonder if any members of development team at VC are embarrassed by the buggy products they've taken part in creating. I know 2KSports/Take-Two doesn't care... Publishers and parent companies are pretty much just bean counters. And with the nearly endless influx of Rockstar-generated revenue, all the 2K division has to do is break even.

Edited by RazberyBandit

I posted this in the 2K forums, but it's really difficult to get much in the way of intelligent conversation over there:

it would seem that the only person who has any pull with 2K regarding MLB is Bud Selig. I suspect that 2K doesn't even care if they make money on this game, and that MLB is making sure they get some form of compensation. Theory being that out of desperation to have a Major League Baseball game available for XBOX, MLB has probably made it worth their while. Heck, for all we know, 2K has been paid a flat fee and have already washed their hands of 2K13.

Hard to think of other reasons why they flagrantly flipped PC gamers the bird and don't respond to queries of any kind -- unless they truly have no clue how to run a business, which I suspect isn't the case.

Anyone else think this could be the case?

I'm not sure how that's a conspiracy theory. Those are the facts that have been reported by numerous gaming news outlets.

2K had no plans of making 2K13 and MLB didn't realize until very late that there would be no MLB title on XBox, so MLB threw them a last minute deal to give it a spit and polish for 2013 as no one else would be capable of putting out any product for 2013 on such short notice.