Question On Sliders

aceshigh

I didn't know that, but it doesn't sound bad. I should deff check it out! Who knows, maybe I could stop stressing my analogs so much. Btw, I could play half a game with the modified sliders being put in from the hardest level and I noticed it makes the game more unforgiving. I played only half a game with the Giants at home vs the Dodgers and Vogelsong allowed 3 hits (including a 2-run homerun on a pitch that was completely gone wrong, so my fault there) in the first inning but then the game got better. Before I had to quit, I only had one hit (solo shot from Sandoval). Another thing I noticed was that the CPU would go after almost EVERY pitch, even the ones out of the zone, many times swinging and missing. As a matter of fact, even if I gave up 3 hits and 3 runs in the first inning, I only threw 13 pitches, striking out one...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those pitch numbers you noticed are very uncommon for me. In an inning where the opponent e.g. has one hit and 3 standard outs, I need about 13-16 pitches. When I have innings where the opponents crush me and score e.g. 3-4 runs, I mostly need about 25-30 pitches. To put it in a nutshell I average about 130-150 pitches per game. Sometimes I only need about 110 and sometimes I even need about 160 or even more. But a pitch count below 100 or above 160 are absolute rareties.

I know and that's what I was expecting, to be honest. But Victorino got a single at the first pitch of the game. Then Kemp doubled him home right after and I struck out the third one in the lineup in 3 pitches (after he chased 2 pitches out of the zone). After that I had thrown about 7 pitches, I think. The next batter homered and the next two both grouded out at the second pitch they saw (out of the zone, of course). It is safe to say I probably messed with the sliders too much :p

Tried it again after modifying the sliders a lil bit more, and this time I was able to get a complete game. It was still Dodgers at Giants, I lost 3-1 with 7 hits allowed (I got 6) and both teams were only able to score on the long ball. The first three innings looked almost exactly like the last game I played: the CPU seems to like early game blowouts and chasing pitches, so I got a 8-innings 93 pitches performance by Zito. Seems to me that's a pretty low number, so I gotta find out how to make the CPU stay off many pitches, as I got many groudouts/flyouts at the first pitch... Anyway I did see a lot of animations I never saw before, the fielding, especially in the infield, is much more realistic (with dropped and recovered balls and such) and I was able to enjoy a good game without getting too frustrated :D It's a joy to watch, really.

Alright, got another match under the belt, this time Twins at Orioles. Again I lost 3-1 after 11 innings (10 hits vs 7 hits). I only changed the CPU contact slider (from 60 to 55) and I was finally able to get some reasonable pitching figures. Now I'm afraid games are always gonna be the same :D It will be really hard to get a high score game with those sliders... Maybe increasing the user contact/power will help? By the way, Wudl, what's the "pitch success" level on your sliders? :)

I think I got it at 65. You can download my roster, you can find it in the download section. It includes 2 slider sets of mine.

I get very different results.

My last 4 results were (me vs. cpu): 7-5, 2-2, 3-4, 0-9

I tried your new sliders! Comparing them to mine on paper, I thought the game was gonna be much more difficult, but it really wasn't: hitting was easier with a better variety of hits, pitching figures are finally on the level you say they are (I understand why now!) and I was able to actually win the game :D

Giants 7 10 3

@

Padres 6 9 0

Took some time to get used to the very low pitcher control value. Will try more games but I will most likely continue my franchise on your sliders. If there's something I'd change, I think it would be improving the fielder's arm precision, lower the outfielder's speed to 5 and increase the pitch speed to 85, but then again that's just because of how I'm used to play :) You've done a pretty darn good job on those :good: Many thanks!!!!

I have a slider-related question, although it's not related to Aces'. Is it possible to make the pitching meter faster than the slider allows? I feel that I'm not really rewarded by good timing because the control is so low, but I get the max so often that it would be unrealistic to increase the control. Making the meter faster and harder to time while increasing the control would seem to be the perfect fit for me, but I don't know if that's possible.

I think you have a missunderstanding.

When you fully load the pitch meter it says "max", but that does not mean maximum control of the pitch. It only means that you will throw with maximum power. Throwing with maximum power means the control of the thrown pitch is lower than it would be compared to at about 80-90% of the "max".

This is no argument against my post.

But e.g. when you overload you try way too hard to throw a hard pitch and lose all controll over the pitch --> it goes wide.

Test it for yourself, the pitches are best spotted when you fill the circle about 80-90%.

Okay, I got some time to answer the question of LL.

There are a few things that contribute to a runner being thrown out at the plate or blocked by the catcher:

1) Outfield Throw: in most slider sets the outfield throw is way too low. You should set it at least to 75, while 80 or 85 is even better. Otherwise the outfield throws won't be fast enough to cut a runner down.

2) Aggression of the Runner: Here I refer to both the aggression rating of the runner (who is at third) as well as the baserunning aggression silder ingame. If only one of the two is too low the runner won't try to advance and score a run although he could. In most slider sets the baserunning aggression is set way too low. You have to set it to about 70. But to let steals still work properly and not having David Ortiz trying to steal second from first because of the aggression slider you got to set the steal slider to about 35. 40 is critical and you will see Ortiz and his fellow snails running too often. I have seen some outs of runners who had doubled and tried to stretch it into a triple or runners who hit a single and tried to stretch it into a double.

3) Baserunner's speed: I have set it to 50 for both CPU and user (besides I play with auto-fielding and auto-running, takes away some user control but they act smoother and more realistic). When you set it too low the runner's simply won't be fast enough, nothing more to say.

4) Catcher's blocking the plate rating: I don't know the reason behind it but obviously 2k made the game engine in a way so that this rating has (maybe the biggest) influence on the blocking of runners who advance to home plate. I think this rating is hidden when you open a player's card in the roster or statistic screens but when opening an editor (doesn't matter if the ingame one or e.g. Vlad's editor) you can see that every catcher has this rating. In most cases the rating is between 65-80 for catchers with rare exceptions having above 80. When you throw from the OF to the C ingame you often will notice that the catcher is miles away from homeplate so he won't have any chance to get to the runner and block him. One could think that this is caused by poor throw accuracy from the OF but I can guarantee this isn't the only reason. In my roster I have set the blocking the plate rating of all the catchers way up (I think no one has lower than 80, many even have it in the upper 80s now) and I see a better positioning of the catcher and saw two runners out at homeplate being blocked by the catcher. I am honestly considering setting it to 99 because I guess then it will occur even more often.

Besides those 4 points we suffer quite a bit from this glitch where the cutoff man doesn't throw when auto-fielding is enabled or when talking about AI fielding in general. That can't be corrected with slider or rating tweaks as far as I know - sadly!

Thx Wudl, I too play with auto-fielding and the cutoff man never throws home even when he has a chance to nail a runner at the plate. Talk about frustrating.... I guess nothing can be done because it's written in the game code.

That has nothing to do with sliders. Sadly it's a glitch the community was complaining about since 2k12 was released. But since 2k didn't give us a patch for the PC version we have to deal with it. :(

Funny thing is: the XBOX users got a patch but this glitch wasn't addressed.

:crazy:

Okay.... so whats the overall solution to getting more hits? I play a complete game and end up like 3 or 4 hits.

With Wudl's latest sliders I manage to get 8/9 hits per game now. It definitely did the trick. If you feel that's too low you can still tweak it from there, but it's a very good start indeed ;)

15304907.jpg

I was exploring Sliders file, and found that appart 44 sliders we can adjust in the game, there are 10-14 (don't remeber now)) sliders more that can be adjusted via hex edititing

They are bordered red in the pic.

I am pretty sure these red bordered are values that should affect the game somehow.

I have made some and figured out that slider value 100 in the game is express 00 00 00 80 3f in hex view (in picture all available sliders to edit are set to 100)

The next figures are:

100 - 00 00 80 3f

95 - 33 33 73 3f
90 - 66 cc 66 3f
85 - 99 ff 59 3f
80 - cc 32 4d 3f
75 - ff 65 40 3f

5 - cd cc 4c 3d
0 - 00 00 00 00
So these Red Bordered blocks should/could be values that are resposinble for something too.
I dd not put a lot of effort on that but was able to get negative value for Batter Eye Freq. in game sliders menu. :)
Will try to check later how could these values affect the game (my secret hope is "faster reaction to get from base / faster reaction near the wall)