Question On Sliders

aceshigh

After using Wudl's Legends sliders for a few games, I seem to not be doing so well. I get good swings on good pitches, but it seems that almost all of them get popped up horridly. Does the user contact change that, or is contact just the rate that you are able to make contact and not what type of contact you make?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Camden:

How many games did you play? I get games with lots of popus, then games with lots of liners and groundouts, too. Varies extremely.

The pop of the ball depends on the user contact slider, the AI's pitch break slider slider, the timing of your swing, the batter's contact rating and the pitcher's contact rating.

@proof:

What do you mean with "take back"? You can choose between classic and total control pitching in the controller options.

@Camden:

How many games did you play? I get games with lots of popus, then games with lots of liners and groundouts, too. Varies extremely.

The pop of the ball depends on the user contact slider, the AI's pitch break slider slider, the timing of your swing, the batter's contact rating and the pitcher's contact rating.

@proof:

What do you mean with "take back"? You can choose between classic and total control pitching in the controller options.

I've stopped playing because i don't like this way to pitch, u throw so many pitches so early and u don't have the same control of the pitches. I've took a look to the controller options and the problem isn't there.

I played 3 or 4 games, got maybe 3 or 4 hits in each and scored 4 runs total, hitting one homer.

I don't know why but all I can say is that it varies like hell for me.

I played a little Astros vs. Angels series and every team had two home games and I took the home team each game.

1 - Angels (Vargas) @ Astros (Harrell) 5-2, 7-4 hits,

2 - Astros (Lyles) @ Angels (Blanton) 5-7, 9-14 hits.

3 - Angels (Wilson) @ Astros (Norris) 9-4, 15-13 hits.

4 - Astros (Bedard) @ Angels (Williams) 2-4, 8-10 hits.

You see that I had 17 runs in 4 games, averaging a little more than 4 runs per game (Astros hitting sucks). I made 41 hits which makes up for a little more than 10 hits per game. In the game where I hit 13 hits with the Astros against the Angels I was even able to hit 9 times off Wilson. He was taken out after the 4th having given up 3 runs on already 85 pitches or so. I was leading 4-1 after the 5th, in the 6th I gave up two HRs with Norris (Pujols, Hamilton) since he was tiring and then my bullpen (especially Clemens and Wright) got blown out in the 7th and 8th.

There was everything: stolen bases, caught stealing, errors, runners thrown out, homeruns (more for the Angels :D), some Ks, some BBs.

However I bet if I had played a series of the Cards against the Reds with both having way better pitching than LAA and HOU I would have averaged way less hits.

In my opinion the secret is taking pitches and working the count. When I start to get impatient I can't hit. Happens often later in games when I am behind.

@proof:

It definately is in the control options. You got to go to control setup and then hit the left analog stick for the hidden extra menu.

For me I don't throw many pitches too early, no plan what you are doing wrong. I also don't have any control issues.

I don't know why but all I can say is that it varies like hell for me.

I played a little Astros vs. Angels series and every team had two home games and I took the home team each game.

1 - Angels (Vargas) @ Astros (Harrell) 5-2, 7-4 hits,

2 - Astros (Lyles) @ Angels (Blanton) 5-7, 9-14 hits.

3 - Angels (Wilson) @ Astros (Norris) 9-4, 15-13 hits.

4 - Astros (Bedard) @ Angels (Williams) 2-4, 8-10 hits.

You see that I had 17 runs in 4 games, averaging a little more than 4 runs per game (Astros hitting sucks). I made 41 hits which makes up for a little more than 10 hits per game. In the game where I hit 13 hits with the Astros against the Angels I was even able to hit 9 times off Wilson. He was taken out after the 4th having given up 3 runs on already 85 pitches or so. I was leading 4-1 after the 5th, in the 6th I gave up two HRs with Norris (Pujols, Hamilton) since he was tiring and then my bullpen (especially Clemens and Wright) got blown out in the 7th and 8th.

There was everything: stolen bases, caught stealing, errors, runners thrown out, homeruns (more for the Angels :D), some Ks, some BBs.

However I bet if I had played a series of the Cards against the Reds with both having way better pitching than LAA and HOU I would have averaged way less hits.

In my opinion the secret is taking pitches and working the count. When I start to get impatient I can't hit. Happens often later in games when I am behind.

@proof:

It definately is in the control options. You got to go to control setup and then hit the left analog stick for the hidden extra menu.

For me I don't throw many pitches too early, no plan what you are doing wrong. I also don't have any control issues.

Thanks!!! Problem resolved!

I do need to take more pitches, I used to be the type of person who would swing at everything. I only usually get the pitcher to throw about 110-120 pitches per game, but I'm working on it. I'm still swinging at good pitches though, so I'll play a few more games and maybe try to tweak a few things and get back to you.

Do yourself a favor and do not change more than ONE slider at one time. ;)

Sometimes one gets messed up and everything gets screwed up when you change too much.

One suggestion on how to get to the "perfect" slider set for oneself:

1) Play at least 5-6 games before changing sliders.

2) Play with different teams in different ballparks against different teams.

3) Write down your stats, sum them up after 5-6 games and calculate the average for one game.

4) Adjust ONE single slider.

That's the way I did it. Often you are only one click away from your perfect slider settings. Everybody plays different so there won't be a perfect sliderset for everybody. ;)

Guys, please excuse me to ask....

How serious we can be on franchise mode? I mean, no matter which Roster/ratings we load, the scores seems way randomly.

Is there a way to change it or do we just have to accept this parallel universe where Marlins can be as good as the Braves?

Some time ago I discussed about how irrelevant some ratings are for ingame performance @OS forums. I remember Ryan Flaherty being leader in homeruns after one full season with 46 homeruns.

These strange simulation stats and scores are something I never liked in sport games as I do not remember one single game which didn't have flaws in this regard.

We can not make the Marlins and Astros staying bad or the Cards or Rangers staying good.

There was some guy over @OS who made an Xbox roster and thought his rating system would be so good because he simulated a season and the standings and teams which advanced to the playoffs seemed quite realistic. Then I told him he should run two or three more simulations of a whole season and see if it stays this way. The outcomes were never the same, mostly they distuingished unbelievably extreme. You will see it so often that real life good teams will be bad ingame and real life bad teams will be good ingame.

I think this is somehow caused by the hot and cold streaks. And this randomness is somehow coded into the game because 2k wants some randomness.

Some time ago I discussed about how irrelevant some ratings are for ingame performance @OS forums. I remember Ryan Flaherty being leader in homeruns after one full season with 46 homeruns.

These strange simulation stats and scores are something I never liked in sport games as I do not remember one single game which didn't have flaws in this regard.

We can not make the Marlins and Astros staying bad or the Cards or Rangers staying good.

There was some guy over @OS who made an Xbox roster and thought his rating system would be so good because he simulated a season and the standings and teams which advanced to the playoffs seemed quite realistic. Then I told him he should run two or three more simulations of a whole season and see if it stays this way. The outcomes were never the same, mostly they distuingished unbelievably extreme. You will see it so often that real life good teams will be bad ingame and real life bad teams will be good ingame.

I think this is somehow caused by the hot and cold streaks. And this randomness is somehow coded into the game because 2k wants some randomness.

There is some logic in randomness.

It would be no fun at all if everything always played out the same way in a predictable fashion.

Ironically, no randomness would be the most unrealistic.

• 2 months later...

We should concentrate on most realistic game sliders, because without realistic gameplay mechanics and stats everything else is of lesser importance! greetings from baseball fan from Serbia and Montenegro!

I agree with you there, but after playing the rest of my franchise I have come to the conclusion that what really makes the difference in the game are the ratings for each player. I have used Wudl's sliders (just a couple things tweaked, but overall the same) but not his roster (still using NoFakeNames v5 cause I didn't want to start my franchise all over again) and there is no way of losing to teams with a lower rating like the O's or the White Sox or making them get more than 3/4 hits per game. I have tried tweaking the CPU contact slider but the results are pretty much the same. However, as soon as I play against a team with a better rating like the Red Sox, I get demolished allowing 15 hits minimum, so I believe that there is too much of a difference between the players ratings, because the sliders are just fine. Hopefully this will be fixed with Wudl's roster, as he says he's getting very realistic results :)

I am sorry that I am very busy right now and my roster isn't released already. But yeah, with tweaked ratings you will get more consistent games. You can get crushed by the Astros the one time or you can hold the Red Sox down next to nothing the next time. Ratings are the key. After THAT the sliders come into play.

When you have ratings that are more evened out all over the league and not varying too much, you will have better or more realistic results. This is my opinion.

In my roster, which I am still working on, you will see a ton of guys with the "same" ratings. That will even out the game pretty much and give you a bigger role in affecting the outcome by how you are playing. And that's how real baseball is IMO. Looking into the league there is a bunch of players who more or less is equally good or bad. There are only a few real elite players. You should realize against who you are playing but nonetheless have a chance of shutting them down.

Take all the time you need Wudl, no rush :) We all have our lives to deal with afterall! What you said makes perfect sense and I agree with that entirely: the game does need to get leveled up, and that does not only depend on the sliders you are using.

Ratings are very important, you said everything wright. I think statistics per team per game are very similar to what you would expect from a real ball game. Take our time with roster. We will post our opinions and comments not to criticize you, but to make game even better!

• 1 month later...

That guy at OS was me. I've worked on 2K12 for the 360 for 2 years, working hard on rosters and running MULTIPLE franchise modes to see if there was any rhyme or reason to outcomes based upon the ratings. What I've found is that you have to rate players a bit higher to get solid sim-stats. Some don't like that, but when it's done across the board it plays out quite well. I developed a sliding scale system that has worked very well. I like the idea of various things happening because of randomness, but I also like to see strong teams play well, and the weaker ones as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...