Oakland A's 2013 Season: (In Progress)

This last couple of months have been absolutely brutal. I've tweaked this game to play an extremely good game of baseball, and I play each and every game manually, and try to play along with the real schedule. Although I'm winning games enough to stay in the race, I haven't been able to shake Texas or L.A.A. since the beginning of August.

This is coming down to the wire, and after 5 months of playing and wanting to make the playoffs, I'm getting extremely nervous as I sit down to play these games. Here's where I sit after last night's game:

2rgosb7.jpg

And here is the line score from last night's game. As you can see, I was down 6-0 early and just hung in there. Patience and strategy. I did everything I could to dig into their bullpen for the next two games of the series. Somehow I pulled the first game out.

ohskk8.jpg

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Season Jay, this game never let you down... :clapping:

You're right, Carlos. As much as I loved MVP, and many years spent playing it, The Show is untouchable. Granted, it took a few years for it to get this solid, but now it's a baseball game you want to savor. Playing one game a day allows me to do that. The graphics, the sounds, the stats, the little things in general are absolutely fantastic, but still second to it's game play. Seriously would have never believed it out of a console game.

I'll have to admit, I've played a lot of seasons over the years, but for some reason I think this one will stick out. The fight, the struggle to float around the top of the division with too much time on the schedule has made me want it even more. After the walk off last night, I was fist pumping around the living room like Kirk Gibson in the '88 World Series as he rounded the bags after the homerun. Playing 140 games manually will do that to you -- it's just too much to lose at this point.

I WANT to get into the playoffs. With the way the standings are in the A.L. West right now, nothing is certain for the top three teams. I am fighting my ass off with each pitch, struggling (and cussing at each changeup) to stay alive.

I may make it, I may not. But it's been one to remember. :)

Jay, I simmed up to current day on the day I started playing, which was August 24th. I've played up to September 1st...

1st: Oakland

2nd: Texas (Me) -0.5 GB

3rd: Seattle -16.5GB

4th: Los Angeles -18GB

5th: Houston -26.5GB

This is starting the year with all players on the DL and all the trade deadline deals and injuries off so no one else got injured.

Jay, I simmed up to current day on the day I started playing, which was August 24th. I've played up to September 1st...

1st: Oakland

2nd: Texas (Me) -0.5 GB

3rd: Seattle -16.5GB

4th: Los Angeles -18GB

5th: Houston -26.5GB

This is starting the year with all players on the DL and all the trade deadline deals and injuries off so no one else got injured.

Wow, that Texas/Oakland race is tight as ever. I can't for the life of me (haven't looked at the numbers) figure out why L.A.A. is giving me trouble in the West. An investigation is in order. :)

Wow, that Texas/Oakland race is tight as ever. I can't for the life of me (haven't looked at the numbers) figure out why L.A.A. is giving me trouble in the West. An investigation is in order. :)

The rosters I downloaded were mostly re-rated, but, I went in and knocked both Pujols and Hamilton's Contact L/R and Power L/R 10 points in each category and look at these numbers...

Real Life: .236 avg, 19 hr, 61 rbi

In Game: .254 avg, 20 hr, 70 rbi

Not all that far off with my tweaks

The rosters I downloaded were mostly re-rated, but, I went in and knocked both Pujols and Hamilton's Contact L/R and Power L/R 10 points in each category and look at these numbers...

Real Life: .236 avg, 19 hr, 61 rbi

In Game: .254 avg, 20 hr, 70 rbi

Not all that far off with my tweaks

Very nice. I'm going to go through their numbers today and see what's up. Pujols and Hamilton must be killing the ball, along with some really good pitching. I'll have to check it out.

Unbelievable. I sweep a very talented Texas team, only to get taken down by a rag tag Houston (18 GB) squad last night in the opening game of a 4 game set. Houston pitcher Dallas Keuchel was throwing a steady dose of 87 mph fastballs complimented with 73 mph changeups, with an 80 mph curveball thrown into the mix.

No rhyme or rythm -- guessing became obsolete after 2 or 3 innings -- trying to sit on a certain pitch just didn't work. Amazing how smart the AI is in this game. I had 1 hit going into the 8th, and only 3 more after Keuchel was taken out. I went down 3-1, and now sit tied with the Angels for 1st place, with Texas 1.5 GB.

I've gotta be more focused tonight, things are getting tight with little time left on the schedule.

It's been a heck of a weekend trying to keep with up the Angels. After dropping the first 2 to Houston in a 4 game set, I managed, SOMEHOW, to hang in there and take the last two. It was brutal. Saturday night, it took me 18 innings to scrape out the 2-1 win:

345djbb.jpg

And yesterday, it took a 2 run jack by Brandon Moss in the bottom of the 8th to get the win again -- 2-1.

I've got the day off today before I meet up with Minnesota for 3 games. And I'm not looking forward to it. :facepalm:

Man, I'm jealous. That looks like a complete blast.

With the Grandkids living with us once again, my gaming time has vanished. :sad:

Good luck the rest of the way. You can do it!

Hey Mike! Yeah, it's a blast but then again it's nerve racking. I'll be honest, playing 162 games can get to you, especially the second half of the season after the All-Star break -- that time during July and August, when things seem to be at a lull.

But that being said THIS year, I've been struggling from late July until now to stay at the top of the division. I mean EVERY GAME. Texas and L.A.A. have been bouncing back and forth (along with my A's) in the top 3 spots for almost 2 months. After 145 games, you just don't want to lose your grip. I'll take a Wild Card spot, I don't care. After a long fought season, I just want to get in. :)