Yankee News For Yankee Fans

Yankee4Life

Yankee4life have you ever considered doing a History of the Yankees for Yankees fans? Even I would be interested in that and you seem to be very knowledgeable on the ball club. Would be nice to see some of the baseball history the team has made that perhaps the younger fans don't know about or don't know enough about.

You're kind of late for that man. We used to have a thread here strictly for Yankee fans. It's not here anymore. In it we talked about the current Yankees of the day and the history of it. A guy named Mark (he is gone now) and I mostly talked about the Yankee history. Those pages are long gone now. :(

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're kind of late for that man. We used to have a thread here strictly for Yankee fans. It's not here anymore. In it we talked about the current Yankees of the day and the history of it. A guy named Mark (he is gone now) and I mostly talked about the Yankee history. Those pages are long gone now. :(

Well that sucks. But I was thinking more on the lines of you going through the big parts of the Yankee history. Explaining why the Yankees are the winningest  (not a word I guess) Professional Sports team in the West, and if I recall in all of professional sports. Show why, The, Yankee stadium was called the house that Ruth built and awesome little nuggets of history like that. I don't mean go all Encyclopedia Britannic on it unless you want to.

You seem to have a knack for finding very high quality photos to illustrate your points. And again you seem very knowledgeable on the subject. And I think that would be an interesting read. I guess we could wiki it, but its more fun to put your own personal flare on the story. But now that I think about it, that would be an immense undertaking.

Well that sucks. But I was thinking more on the lines of you going through the big parts of the Yankee history. Explaining why the Yankees are the winningest  (not a word I guess) Professional Sports team in the West, and if I recall in all of professional sports. Show why, The, Yankee stadium was called the house that Ruth built and awesome little nuggets of history like that. I don't mean go all Encyclopedia Britannic on it unless you want to.

Really not a bad idea. That would be something I could do in the off season.

You seem to have a knack for finding very high quality photos to illustrate your points. And again you seem very knowledgeable on the subject. And I think that would be an interesting read. I guess we could wiki it, but its more fun to put your own personal flare on the story. But now that I think about it, that would be an immense undertaking.

I have always been able to find photos. I have online galleries of albums that I have created.

Really not a bad idea. That would be something I could do in the off season.

I have always been able to find photos. I have online galleries of albums that I have created.

I hope you do consider it, as again I think it would be good for the younger fans to get a dose of Baseball History education, and there is no doubt, like them or not, that the Yankees are an intergeral part of that history. Not to mention they made some of that hisotry themselves.

Yankees manager Joe Girardi counting on Jacoby Ellsbury

Dehydration kept Jacoby Ellsbury out of the Yankees’ lineup Saturday against the Rays, but Joe Girardi expects the outfielder to start Sunday in the series finale.

Ellsbury was pulled from Friday’s game because of an upset stomach, and he was throwing up after leaving the contest, Girardi said. Ellsbury received fluids as treatment that night, and though he wasn’t 100% on Saturday, he did pinch-hit in the seventh inning of the Bombers’ 3-2 loss.

He went on to play center field and replace Chris Young in the batting order for the final two frames.

“We felt good enough that we could use him today,” Girardi said.

Ellsbury struck out on three pitches to end the seventh inning. He got up again with two outs in the ninth and ended the game with a fly out to left.

Ellsbury is 4-for-26 since Aug. 26, when he sat out against the Astros with a hip injury he suffered diving for a line drive in the outfield. “He’s due to get hot. That’s the bottom line,” Girardi said. “He’s too good of a hitter to go through that. So he’ll come out of it.”

MARIETTA DAILY OUT; GWINNETT DAILY POST OUT; LOCAL TELEVISION OUT; WXIA-TV OUT; WGCL-TV OUT; MANDATORY CREDIT

Yankees' Jacoby Ellsbury should be back.

CC RETURN SET
Pending any setbacks, CC Sabathia will return to the mound Wednesday to make his first start since landing on the disabled list Aug. 24, Girardi said. The burly lefthander hasn’t pitched since Aug. 23, when his start against the Indians was cut short after 2.2 innings because of right knee inflammation.

Girardi ruled out using Sabathia in relief to test out his knee in shorter appearances.

“Coming out of the bullpen right now would not be something that he would be used to (given) the amount of time it takes to warm up,” Girardi said. “So right now, our plan is to go on Wednesday with him, depending on how he feels.”

SECOND BASE SHUFFLE
The Yankees called up two young infielders at the beginning of the month in Rob Refsnyder and Jose Pirela. However, Girardi still opted to start veteran Brendan Ryan at second base Saturday with Stephen Drew getting the day off.

“I debated long and hard about what to do today,” Girardi said. “But we decided to go with Brendan.”

PAZOS SHINES
The Yankees’ youth movement continued Saturday when lefthander James Pazos, a September callup, became the 17th player this season to make his major league debut with the Bombers.

Pazos entered in the top of the ninth and retired the first two batters he faced, forcing Joey Butler into a fly out and striking out Daniel Nava. Andrew Bailey then replaced Pazos to record the third out.

Pazos walked off to a rousing ovation from the Stadium crowd.

“That was incredible,” Pazos said of the applause. “I wasn’t expecting anything like that.”

• 1 month later...

While other teams are playing deep into the post season once again this year the Yankees are busy playing the blame game as to why they are not fighting for the American League pennant right now. Last year the Yankees fired hitting coach Kevin Long because it was no secret it was his fault that they didn't hit. So out went Kevin Long and he ended up on the Mets and he has his hitters two wins away from a World Series appearance. Shows how much he didn't know, right?

Despite improvements all across the board this year the Yankees fired Long's replacement Jeff Pentland the other day. Just like Long it was his fault that Brett Gardner didn't hit at all in the second half and was a complete waste of space. Jacoby Ellsbury didn't do a damn thing when he came back from his knee injury. Alex Rodriguez tired out in September. Mark Teixeira conveniently got hurt at the end of August. I say conveniently because it's Teixeira and you never can depend on him.

The Yankees love doing this kind of crap. Firing a coach just to show that they have done something. They love pointing the finger and finding a scapegoat but their problem is they never blame the ones that really deserve it: the players.

While other teams are playing deep into the post season once again this year the Yankees are busy playing the blame game as to why they are not fighting for the American League pennant right now. Last year the Yankees fired hitting coach Kevin Long because it was no secret it was his fault that they didn't hit. So out went Kevin Long and he ended up on the Mets and he has his hitters two wins away from a World Series appearance. Shows how much he didn't know, right?

Despite improvements all across the board this year the Yankees fired Long's replacement Jeff Pentland the other day. Just like Long it was his fault that Brett Gardner didn't hit at all in the second half and was a complete waste of space. Jacoby Ellsbury didn't do a damn thing when he came back from his knee injury. Alex Rodriguez tired out in September. Mark Teixeira conveniently got hurt at the end of August. I say conveniently because it's Teixeira and you never can depend on him.

The Yankees love doing this kind of crap. Firing a coach just to show that they have done something. They love pointing the finger and finding a scapegoat but their problem is they never blame the ones that really deserve it: the players.

Yankees new hitting coach?

a8fcef793dfbc5fbde3f1a103f1c7d4a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

23 years have passed since the Yankees traded for Paul O'Neill. This bit from the original story is priceless:

'

Yet, in the end, it does seem that the return the Yankees received from Kelly, once labeled an "untouchable" and the next great Yankee center fielder, was not up to par. Most observers figured that he would be a piece of a trade for California pitcher Jim Abbott. Instead, he was dealt for an outfielder who could well end up platooning.

"Pitching is still our No. 1 priority," Michael said. "I’ve been assured that we’ll be able to go after free agents and a trade still might work itself out. But we thought this was another way to improve our ballclub.

"You’re always gambling," Michael concluded.'

• 2 weeks later...

So, two trades yesterday.

John Ryan Murphy, a backup catcher who had a very decent year and if given a chance could be a good starting catcher. He got traded to the Twins for an outfielder named Aaron Hicks. The Yankees are building this up to appear like they acquired a superstar. We'll see.

Jose Pirela will be going to sunny San Diego for minor-league outfielder Ronald Herrera. Yeah, I don't know who the hell he is either.

in other news C.C. Sabathia is out of the drunk tank and talking about his time in rehab like it was a victory tour. The holidays are fast approaching. Let's hope he isn't tempted to empty some Budweiser bottles on Thanksgiving while watching football or having a few drinks on Christmas Eve "just to be social" or knock off a few champagne bottles ringing in the new year.

If Cashman really wants to improve this team start with this guy.

I think Cashman is hoping that last season is as good as Murphy is going to get, so he sold high. Hicks was supposed to be a top prospect years ago, and he didn't exactly pan out. Still, it makes the outfield younger and while I'm one of his biggest fans Gardner is not getting any younger.

I actually hope CC gets through his disease, and while his starts in September were better I don't think it will last. Put him in the bullpen and keep him as clubhouse leader, a more experienced player who went through a lot and can be a positive influence. Like A-Rod was this year (Did I really write this?!) At this point, I think this is the best we can hope for CC.

I actually hope CC gets through his disease, and while his starts in September were better I don't think it will last. Put him in the bullpen and keep him as clubhouse leader, a more experienced player who went through a lot and can be a positive influence. Like A-Rod was this year (Did I really write this?!) At this point, I think this is the best we can hope for CC.

So do I. It's a moot point now but I think he should have waited until the Yankee post season ended to go there. As it turned out the Yankees helped him out by playing dead to the Astros the very next night. They just proved that night that they don't need C.C. Sabathia to lose without a fight.

• 1 month later...

Acquisitions, soul-searching, soul-losing and the 2016 Yankees

I haven't posted here in a while, but in the past few days and weeks, several thing happened, so I'm to comment on some of those.

So, for starters the Yankees have finally acquired a 2nd baseman. After two years of Roberts and Drew, almost anything would be better than that. Starlin Castro sure fits the bill as a cost-controlled young player with potential. On the negative side, he's had his share of trouble both off and on the field. Mental lapses such as forgetting how many outs there were to go and being accused of sexual harassement fall in this category. I also don't like that the Yankees sent Adam Warren to the Cubs. To me, he's the kind of player that could have stayed his entire career in pinstripes. If you have a pretty good reliever/spot starter in your roster, why trade him away? Still, on paper the deal makes sense. Let's just hope it is still the case in a couple of years.
Side note: The other player sent to the Cubs was Brendan Ryan, so that's definitely a plus for the NYY. Still, Ryan got canned by the Cubs on Christmas day. I can't help but feel sorry for him.

The other big acquisition was Aroldis Chapman.
After getting rid of Justin Wilson, Yankee fans were waiting for some bullpen help. Girardi has a good track record of putting good bullpens together, but nobody really saw Champan coming. Much like hitters don't really see his fastball. If they keep Miller and Betances, I'd say the 2016 Yankees definitely fall into the 'good bullpen' category. Again, on paper, this was a pretty good deal. Four minor leaguers for what statistically is the best reliever in baseball is a no-brainer. He throws 103mph for christ's sake!
Then there is the bad. The only reason Cashman was able to pull this off was because Chapman's reputation is so far down that it only took four minor leaguers to get him. Make no mistake, to me, guys who hit women are among the worst creatures to walk this earth, right up there with child-abusers, justin bieber fans and people who have too loud ringtones (I hope there is a special kind of hell for these). For now it's the 'innocent until proven guilty' song for everybody who is willing to sell his soul for some strikeouts. Yeah, baseball is a lot of fun, but if this story is true, I'd sure hope Chapman gets beaned on the head by his own fastball. Or in the nuts.
Still, this is a trade that will likely work out for both sides. Unless of course this Chapman business with hitting women really hits the fan and on top of that one of the minor leaguers sent to the Reds becomes a decent to good everyday player. Based on potential and this past season, Rookie Davies and Jagielo might have the better chance here.
For now, let's just hope the 'Cuban Missile Thrower' doesn't turn into a 'Cuban Missile Thrower Crisis' for the Yankees.

On 12/31/2015 at 11:41 AM, sabugo said:

Then there is the bad. The only reason Cashman was able to pull this off was because Chapman's reputation is so far down that it only took four minor leaguers to get him. Make no mistake, to me, guys who hit women are among the worst creatures to walk this earth, right up there with child-abusers, justin bieber fans and people who have too loud ringtones (I hope there is a special kind of hell for these). For now it's the 'innocent until proven guilty' song for everybody who is willing to sell his soul for some strikeouts. Yeah, baseball is a lot of fun, but if this story is true, I'd sure hope Chapman gets beaned on the head by his own fastball. Or in the nuts.

Keep in mind he claims he never did anything, hopefully he is saying the truth...

Women's rights group blasts Yankees for Aroldis Chapman trade

A women’s rights group is blasting the Yankees for the trade with the Reds that will bring closer Aroldis Chapman, who is under investigation for an alleged domestic violence incident, to the Bronx next season.

“The Yankees should be ashamed of themselves for acquiring a player with pending domestic violence charges,” UltraViolet’s Nita Chaudhary said in a statement to the Daily News Monday.

“Domestic violence is an epidemic in this country and no player, no matter how fast or well he throws a baseball should go unpunished,” Chaudhary said.

Aroldis Chapman's domestic violence allegations has fans in an uproar that the Yankees would sign the closer. 

Aroldis Chapman's domestic violence allegations has fans in an uproar that the Yankees would sign the closer. 

Yahoo! Sports reported earlier this month that Chapman’s girlfriend told police that he fired eight gunshots in the garage of his Miami-area home after an Oct. 30 argument, then choked her and pushed her against a wall. Chapman was not arrested in the incident.

Chapman could be subject to discipline under MLB’s new domestic violence policy.

“We won’t allow the MLB or the Yankees to sweep this issue under the rug,” Chaudhary said. “We demand that the MLB immediately strengthen their policy on domestic violence and take a stand in this case, because if they don't, they're sending a message that domestic abuse is OK in baseball.”

After reading this I support the trade for Chapman even more.

They should be ashamed of convicting a man before due process.

If he is guilty, I'm all for all kinds of cruel and unusual punishment. But that is after he is proven guilty.
I don't believe he's completely innocent, but a lynch mob isn't going to solve anything.

Archived