Mvp 14 Support Thread

dennisjames71

I don't think it's an issue with the operating system. i've played the game on all the different operating systems with no issues. i've also played it right off my portable hard drive because the game is portable. i've also played it without issues off my desktop.

but i recently built a new upscale machine and just noticed mvp doesn't work. here's my current hardware: 3770k cpu, 2x 560ti's, 16gb ram, and 256gb ssd. this should be plenty of juice to run the game since i was playing it just fine on an E8400 machine.

my running hypothesis is that it just doesn't handle well on newer hardware. that's just my guess for now, but i'm still running some initial tests. i'll let you guys know if i find anything out.

i've done some more testing:

i booted up the E8400 maching and mvp runs fine on it. when i run the 2014 mod it runs this time. i tried to test a game and found that it crashed right after i selected the teams and the load screen was about to start. when that happens, there are two likely culprits: the models.big or graphic overload.

i replaced the models.big with an older one because I noticed the 2014 models.big was over 800mb (which is usually a red flag for me). game starts up and works fine. i noticed the overlay you used, and just remembered that it is a very graphic intensive overlay, which means that there are going to be times it crashes with combination of all the 2x textures used and some of the high res stadiums.

my conclusion: the models.big is too big. solution is to remove some uniforms until it gets below 800 mb. i've noticed that whenever it gets in the 780-790 mb range, it becomes very unstable.

Before we released it, I mentioned the same thing to Dennis when I was have some early crashes (game not booting at all). I have a models files that's around 750mbs, and when swapping back and forth I was getting different results. Good to know there's a limit.

Also, everyone keep in mind that the rosters are not perfectly filled, so if you play with injuries and suspensions on, even if it's "MLB ONLY", you could get a lock up.

Hey Guys,

My apologies for not being in here...I have been working odd and long hours this week. Homer, I want to thank you for taking the time to come up with a viable theory regarding the occasional crashes with MVP 14. I thought the issue was similar to what you said; but I thought the problem might have been with my Stadiums files. I mentioned to daflyboys that last week, before we released, that I went through every single stadium and made sure that components of the stadiums were properly compressed (after editing) AND I discovered that if I used the bigGUI tool; I went ahead and "Rebuilt" each stadium using a sub-utility of the program. Surprisingly, it reduced the file size of each stadium by 30%-40%.

So, when you mentioned the "red flag" size of the models.BIG file; I went ahead and opened up models.BIG with bigGUI, clicked file, and then clicked "REBUILD". If you wait a few seconds, it does its thing and it reduced the file size for models.BIG from 819mb down to 760mb.

The acid test was that I just got done starting 10 games with all different teams and stadiums. They all started properly with no crashes, in a row.

I wonder if if any you guys (daflyboys, Homer, Y4L) could try the same thing by at least using the bigGUI program to reduce the file size and perhaps try to start just a couple games in a row and see if there is any improvement. It's working flawless for me and I couldn't be happier that I think Homer solved this mystery.

Hey everyone. Amazing job on this. It really is incredible. One thing I noticed, not sure if its just me or everyone, but the AAA affiliate for the Mets in this is the Buffalo Bisons & not the 51s. Did I do something wrong or is this the case for everyone? Thanks again for all of the hard work on this.

i recommend the installer thingy. but i'm still having no luck. i've even extracted all the files and reinstalled them in a fresh models.big with the installer thingy and am getting the same crash. it's a possibility that there's a face or uniform that's crashing it.

Updating affiliates in the game can't be done in the game. You can do this one of two ways.

Simple: Open the 2 LOC files with loclook and changes the names that way, but everything else, like logos will not change.

Complex: Export your existing roster to MVPedit. Export the respective teams and then import them to their particular organizations, which should keep everything else in place.

However, if it's a new affiliate, then that's a different story. It would mean substituting logos, etc. for the new team.

Are we talking proposed moves or are we talking current moves? I know it's true for the Mets as far as teh Bisons go (even MiLB doesn't have it correct), but not sure about the others.

As far as the models.big file, I did the simple rebuild as Dennis suggested and started up about 5 games with no problems and this was in 1280 x 1024. It did reduce the file to about 760mbs. I'm currently simming through a few seasons (no injuries/suspensions) and it's doing fine. I'm not saying that we may run across an incidental thing. I recall having a problem with a manager in the past TC's and I didn't discover it until I went to the "dugout" mini-screen in game when it shows the manager's face.

So, when I want to play season for REDSOX and have injuries on, what shoud I do? I get lockup when i sim season with inj. and susp. on

I think you answered your own question. You can attempt trying "MLB only" ON.

Otherwise, you are going to have to take the roster into MVPedit and add real or fake player to fill out all of the minor league rosters to at least 24 guys for each team.

Hard to know. If there's something corrupted in there, then it won't change by moving it. Why don't you do what Dennis suggested and take the models.big file found in the MVP14 mod, open it with biggui, hit the rebuild button and then give it a whirl. Also, you already have read the problems with running this game on later rigs and operating systems.

Although I downloaded and installed the MVP14 mod a few days, ago, it wasn't until tonight that I was finally able to try it out. I did see the texture issue on the night time Oakland Coliseum, but rebuilding the models.big file as Dennis suggested, made the problem going away.

I think there may be something wrong with the rosters, however. I played some games as the Yankees, and I had plenty of hits and scored a fair number of runs. Based upon the trouble the real Yankees have had scoring runs lately, I don't think these rosters are very realistic.... :D

Just kidding -- This mod is great (as I expected it would be). :good:

The rosters are all botched. I clearly didn't rank the Orioles correctly. :sorry:

Hahahahahha

Actually, my brother and I are doing an online tourney right now with me as the AL teams and I (kicking and screaming) had to use the Yankees earlier today. Fortunately I got Prof. Toru Tanaka as my starter..... so I was pretty pleased!

I checked out that boxscore and I can see Jim's point. Teixeira and Beltran homered in the same game? And Beltran with 3 RBI's? Beltran doesn't get three RBI in a month and he did it here in one game. The Yankee roster needs work too! :D

Hey, is your brother a member of this website?