Datafile mod - more user walks???

spitoon

Check this out:

mvp.jpg

This is the first batter of the game, Josh Beckett was at 98% when this screenie was snapped...note the very small orange area in the pitch meter and the non-existant green zone...

I ended up walking the first batter on 4 pitches...granted I was distracted by trying to snap the screenie :)

Still tweaking :?

Hey, Spitoon... can you give us a little more info about what you're modding in the datafile? I'm messing around with it too and would like to experiment a bit with your findings.

I'm just compling all the changes, it's not much really but it's scribbled all over a scrap of paper on my desk..I'll post it later once I sort it out.

I just finished a game where I issued 6 walks!! This from a guy that issued 2 or 3 in the first 10 games I played...

I drew 4 so those numbers are pretty good, 6 is probably too many, but remember, I'm playing with no pitching aides and with user pitching sliders at -50...

I've posted about this over at OS.

You don't even need to go as far as tweaking the datafile. Set User pitch control to -50 and pitch meter diff. to -50 if you want the meter that small. As the pitcher tires, you will see it become even smaller.

IMO, You should have green, no matter how small, to simulate how a pitcher can hit his spots early on when he's not tired.... and when they get down to about 50%, it should be very hard to hit your spots without a LOT of concentration.

One thing that the datafile mod has helped with (for me anyway) is spreading out the walks. Instead of not getting any until the pitcher gets tired after the 4th or 5th inning, I get them consistently throughout the game now - especially if I'm not really focusing on what I'm doing. With this new datafile adjustment I've had to put those two previously mentioned sliders up to -35 (instead of -50). I've also had to pick and choose when I want to max out the pitch meter in order to last into those later innings. So far I'm really liking spitoon's pitch meter changes.

just wondering if you plan on making this for pro too. I have good sliders just not walking enough (only about 1-2 per)

I'm going to try tightening up the numbers a bit more for Pro, and conversely, relaxing them a bit for MVP...I'm not sure I'll have to do that for MVP, as I have yet to test the effect of the sliders on my current datafile numbers.

I've posted about this over at OS.

You don't even need to go as far as tweaking the datafile. Set User pitch control to -50 and pitch meter diff. to -50 if you want the meter that small. As the pitcher tires, you will see it become even smaller.

IMO, You should have green, no matter how small, to simulate how a pitcher can hit his spots early on when he's not tired.... and when they get down to about 50%, it should be very hard to hit your spots without a LOT of concentration.

I see your point Pared, but the problem was I still wasn't walking anybody with both user control and pitch meter difficulty at -50...now, with both sliders still at -50, I'm walking 4 or 5 per game and really having to concentrate on hitting my spots. I walked two batters in my first 7-10 games with sliders at -50, and I've walked 14 in my last three games with the new datafile...

This looks like the way to go. Does it affect fatigue?

I'm just wondering how this affects the AI's offense if you do miss your spots because of the narrower pitch accuracy area ??? Seems to me there's a great potential there to get pasted on a regular basis. Even now, with a -50 setting for the two sliders, if I miss the accuracy meter my pitcher serves up a nice juicy meatball most of the time that gets pounded into next week !!! If the area is even smaller, wont the AI rack up some unrealistic offensive numbers ???

I'm totally behind the idea here of getting more user walks (in fact I want them) but I don't want to get any more humiliated by the AI than I already am :D

Spitoon:

Like I said before (at TPG), the mod is very good, but for those like me, who are playing on MVP, it makes pitching really, really hard, especially when combined with tweaked sliders.

I've worked something out... something like 'in the middle' between the default settings and your settings (thanks to a comment Olyrunner sent me via PM). It's better now, still challenging, but at least the pitching meter is more 'manageable' now.

Spitoon:

Like I said before (at TPG), the mod is very good, but for those like me, who are playing on MVP, it makes pitching really, really hard, especially when combined with tweaked sliders.

I've worked something out... something like 'in the middle' between the default settings and your settings (thanks to a comment Olyrunner sent me via PM). It's better now, still challenging, but at least the pitching meter is more 'manageable' now.

I haven't done this yet, but it would be possible to increase the numbers that I changed in the datafile, that may help on MVP...I think I posted this somewhere before, but basically I cut the numbers in 1/2...so theoretically, you could go in and raise them to 3/4 of their original value...

Basically I set it up to work on All-Star for 'selfish' reasons...that's where I play...I'm getting hammered on that level, I can't imagine moving to MVP :o

I'm just wondering how this affects the AI's offense if you do miss your spots because of the narrower pitch accuracy area ??? Seems to me there's a great potential there to get pasted on a regular basis. Even now, with a -50 setting for the two sliders, if I miss the accuracy meter my pitcher serves up a nice juicy meatball most of the time that gets pounded into next week !!! If the area is even smaller, wont the AI rack up some unrealistic offensive numbers ???

I'm totally behind the idea here of getting more user walks (in fact I want them) but I don't want to get any more humiliated by the AI than I already am :D

It's a delicate balancing act really...I find that I don't throw significantly more meatballs, it's just that I miss the strike zone badly at times...I'll be aiming low and in, miss the spot by what looks like a small margin and throw one low and away out of the strike zone...With these settings, it is very hard (at least for me) to hit the corners, I'm likely going to have to adjust the sliders some, but for now I'm going to leave the datafile numbers where they are...Adjusting User Pitch Meter Difficulty will increase the size of the release point on the meter, in fact at +50 there is still a green zone to hit.

I get the feeling that User Pitch Control, decides the distribution around a central point.... imagine a bull's eye, +50 means, when you hit your spot it hits the center of the bull's eye, and decreasing the slider means, even when you hit your spot, the pitch will land somewhere around that bull's eye with the potential of landing farther away from it as the value approaches -50...obviously, if you miss your release point, it's going to be much farther off that spot.

I see your point Pared, but the problem was I still wasn't walking anybody with both user control and pitch meter difficulty at -50...now, with both sliders still at -50, I'm walking 4 or 5 per game and really having to concentrate on hitting my spots. I walked two batters in my first 7-10 games with sliders at -50, and I've walked 14 in my last three games with the new datafile...

Wow... you're just really good, then! 8O

I tried -50 / -50 and still only gave up 1 walk every couple of games but was getting beat up by the cpu hitting. In one game I gave up 4 hr's in the 3rd inning! Seems to me if you miss too close the pitch ends up fat. I wish EA would put a ball/strike slider in the game.

It's a delicate balancing act really...I find that I don't throw significantly more meatballs, it's just that I miss the strike zone badly at times...I'll be aiming low and in, miss the spot by what looks like a small margin and throw one low and away out of the strike zone...With these settings, it is very hard (at least for me) to hit the corners, I'm likely going to have to adjust the sliders some, but for now I'm going to leave the datafile numbers where they are...Adjusting User Pitch Meter Difficulty will increase the size of the release point on the meter, in fact at +50 there is still a green zone to hit.

I get the feeling that User Pitch Control, decides the distribution around a central point.... imagine a bull's eye, +50 means, when you hit your spot it hits the center of the bull's eye, and decreasing the slider means, even when you hit your spot, the pitch will land somewhere around that bull's eye with the potential of landing farther away from it as the value approaches -50...obviously, if you miss your release point, it's going to be much farther off that spot.

Hmmm, the pitch control theory makes sense. Sense responding earlier today, I've played a couple of games using your datafile mod. The first game was on the All-Star setting and I ended up losing 5-4. The CPU had like 13 or 14 hits and I had 10-12 (forget the exact numbers). The second game was on Pro. WOW, what a game that was !!! I lost 15-13 :? In this game, I made a very nice comeback after I tried a hitting technique that others have said they do. Basically, I just preload the type of hit I'm wanting make by holding the left thumbstick in position before the pitcher's release and waiting for my pitch. The results were amazing, at one point I had 7 or 8 hits back to back to bach, etc.... etc..... (including three dingers). IMO, that was a little unsettling :? The CPU had l22 or so hits and I had approximately 18 or 19. I really need to find a balance for the difficulty setting. I always seem to get my butt handed to me on All Star but then on Pro, I feel like my team and the CPU always have way too many hits each game.

Anyways, between the 2 games, I issued between 2-4 walks total

Hmmm, the pitch control theory makes sense. Sense responding earlier today, I've played a couple of games using your datafile mod. The first game was on the All-Star setting and I ended up losing 5-4. The CPU had like 13 or 14 hits and I had 10-12 (forget the exact numbers). The second game was on Pro. WOW, what a game that was !!! I lost 15-13 :? In this game, I made a very nice comeback after I tried a hitting technique that others have said they do. Basically, I just preload the type of hit I'm wanting make by holding the left thumbstick in position before the pitcher's release and waiting for my pitch. The results were amazing, at one point I had 7 or 8 hits back to back to bach, etc.... etc..... (including three dingers). IMO, that was a little unsettling :? The CPU had l22 or so hits and I had approximately 18 or 19. I really need to find a balance for the difficulty setting. I always seem to get my butt handed to me on All Star but then on Pro, I feel like my team and the CPU always have way too many hits each game.

Anyways, between the 2 games, I issued between 2-4 walks total

I'm stuck between Pro and All-Star as well...on Pro I rarely lose, and I'm 4-8 on All-Star so far..I'm tweaking the CPU hitting sliders a bit to see if I'm going to be able to be competitive at this level.

Archived