2015 May Roster Alternative

Gordo

Currently testing this, but going to release another roster alternative for a particular reason.  As you progress in the season, every other team controlled by the CPU brings up pitchers that have high stamina from the minors, usually, of course, starters.  The programming of the game doesn't seem to care about the control levels as much.  Therefore, you're typically facing teams that have usually 3 or 4 other starters in the bullpen.  I think this can contribute to losing a lot of simmed games.  Therefore, and this is not for everyone, I'm going to reduce all non-MLB pitchers to below 32 stamina so that they are not called up.  The only other alternative is to turn up ALL relievers to starting pitcher type stamina numbers (which is, I believe, what the game originally did).

I understand the suggestion.  The problem is that unless you have only 5 guys in a given organization with starting pitcher-like stamina, the game will bring him up.  Then someone like Syndergaard will end up in the bullpen and be pitching in relief for a given team just about every game because he'll see limited innings each game, yet have starter stamina.

This is sort of the you can't have your cake and eat it too problem with the game.  The original programming of it brings on certain limitations and quirks.

I understand the suggestion.  The problem is that unless you have only 5 guys in a given organization with starting pitcher-like stamina, the game will bring him up.  Then someone like Syndergaard will end up in the bullpen and be pitching in relief for a given team just about every game because he'll see limited innings each game, yet have starter stamina.

This is sort of the you can't have your cake and eat it too problem with the game.  The original programming of it brings on certain limitations and quirks.

​I wonder if there is logic with roster management in regards to that in the datafile or the roster itself

There's gotta be something in the programming, which could very well be the datafile.  Now here's the other funny thing:  you can sim an entire season and when you enter the playoffs, the rosters revert to the base roster.  So what happens to all those roster moves is anyone's guess.... just like all the weird created players in the FA base (unless you reset the roster and save and load right away to a new season).

So far in my trial..... it's working as suspected.  This way playing as an MLB team, you're facing the more quality relievers on the other team.

Edited by Gordo

You guys are sensational !! 

I love the fact that you're always looking for ways to make the entire gameplay as authentic and realistic as is humanly possible  

​If you haven't already, check out my simulation game play pack in the DL section.

So in these early stages, here are some samples of the CPU management right after the All-Star break:

Texas Rangers:

Went to 12 pitchers / All starters stayed in their original positions.

• Freeman for Ohlendorf
  • Mendez for Bass
  • Harrison for Claudio
  • Kela dropped

Fielders:

• Gallo brought up to play 3rd (Beltre to DH)
  • Moreland to RF for Choo
  • Rodriguez up/Rosales down
  • Gimenez up/Corporan down
  • Field up / DeShields down

San Francisco Giants:

Also went to 11 pitchers / moved Lincecum to the SP 1 slot and Bumgarner to the SP 5 slot

• Affeldt promoted to CP, Casilla demoted to SU (for good reason because of ERA's)
  • Lopez sent down
  • Rapada up/Kontos down

Fielders:

• Arias starting / Panik benched
  • Susac up/ Belt down
  • Hicks brought up
  • Quiroz brought up as a 2nd backup C

Interesting stuff.

• 1 month later...

I took a quick look into files and could' t find anything related to CPU roster management. Then made some tests and looks like roster moves are based on player OVR and nothing else.  As for pitchers- 5 best SP goes as starters, next 7 best pitchers(SP or RP) goes to the bullpen. So all minor SP must be rated lower than 7 major relievers. But... if one of the starters gets injured, in rotation he's replaced with guy from the bullpen and highest OVR pitcher from minors(SP or RP) gets called up as reliever. Looks lke baseball are another EA sports game, where CPU roster management has no real logic. 

Well, i have my doubts, that they would improve game greatly. Especially when i look at newest NHL or FIFA series games and comparing them with older versions. 

Ok, here' s some more stuff about roster management. Highest OVR RP goes as closer. Next-SU, then MRP. Callups will always be put as LRP. I also find out how to get minor SP eventually geting callup as SP when one of starters goes down(instead of RP being put in the rotation), but that requires at least one injured fielder.

The design teams have all been different.  I know that NHL has had a history of bad catch-up programming applied, whereas MVP does not seem to.

But it's academic at this point. We're only able to help the game so much.

Edited by Gordo