Blue Purple Red Orange Gold Green Teal Chocolate Charcoal
Blue Purple Red Orange Gold Green Teal Chocolate Charcoal
Solid_Contact

The MVP 2005 and Windows 10 Thread

I'm going to be upgrading a Lenovo Optiplex 740 I recently bought primarily for Windows 7 and MVP as well as anything else that may be problematic to run on my new Windows 10 PC.  Found this deal on Craigslist for $40 and decided that I needed minimally a 1 GB vid card and I'll max out the memory if I could find a good deal on ebay for something compatible.

Over a short time found this ASUS Radeon EAH5450 Express Video Card on ebay used for $15

41HhoJhM0ZL._SX425_.jpg

And today was able to get 2 new Kingston 4 gig  DDR2 mem sticks for under $15 making the entire set up under $70!  So I have a back up PC and now something that can run MVP independent of my W10 PC as well.

I'll try to upload some pics of how this looks and let you know how it plays as well.  Capturing video has always been a problem for me however.... I hate Fraps.

Addendum:  So actually that card turned out to be too wide. Also, I mistakenly thought it was a 1 gig card and turns out it's a half gig.  But able to snag this Radeon HD6450 for less and it is a gig:

s-l1000.jpg

I hope so.  The vid card slot layouts on this motherboard seem backwards for the most part.  But then again,  I don't look at this kind of stuff often enough and keep up with terminology.  I think between this and the 8 GB of RAM, it should play smooth on 1280 x 1024.  I'm going to try to push it to 1600 x 1200, but not sure it will matter.  Just want to demonstrate that you can get/build a pretty cheap system for this game and others that for whatever reason struggle with Windows 10.

If I remember right, no matter how old or how new my system was the game only allowed the highest resolution to be 1280 X 1024.  My display setting is 2560 X 1080.

An update.  Things are settling in much better.  The Radeon card and DVI cable both arrived today.  Still only running 4 GB of RAM.  Expecting the 8 GB package to arrive later this week.  Regardless the game is pretty much running like a champ and looking good even on 1024 X 768 thanks to the HDR Bloom tweak and the tweaks you can make with the AMD Catalyst Center.  Here's some screen shots:

splash.thumb.png.f4c55363a33eecaafd21b7a926901da4.png230027659_sc1.thumb.png.f4592e8f4cb89d4867236cdb0c8678ef.pngsc2.thumb.png.c7a3e472155c2fafe0149cffd42b14ff.pngsc3.thumb.png.974fadd7842c6a8115614e928f4a2d3c.pngsc4.thumb.png.3a2cbba70367f35c59f53aec3c88c61c.png

So essentially for around $75 - 80 you can create a solid backup computer running XP or Win 7 (I've seen some XP discs on sale at ebay for under $10-15) which will play MVP very well.  I'll try to get some video, but usually not easy.

Ok, actually got some smooth video even with an older version of Fraps.  This is compressed and I think it still looks good.  The content isn't anything real exciting as I'm not editing anything but it shows how for little money you could get a decent 2nd computer and run MVP very well.  No need to wrestle with Windows 10.  (Not sure what happened with the first video, there were only 3).  Looks better if you do the pop out and keep it smaller or just download an watch via VLC player.  They're very small files.  I'll try to do a larger sized one).

i have the same problem as a lot of you.  i completely uninstalled mvp2005 from the x86 directory, re-installed the game to a directory i created (c:\ea sports\mvp baseball 2005, and installed patch #3.  i then installed mvp 12 into that directory with TIT and everything unpacked and installed correctly.  then i clicked on the mvp2005 game icon, selected properties, changed all to full control and checked the "run this program as administrator" button, and tried as is and with all of the compatibility options, and the game still wouldn't load.  i have windows 10.  i also have 2k12, but like the flexibility of mvp better and i like using mvp edit better than the 2k12 editor, so i'd really like to get this game working.  it seems like i can install the game and get it to work, but when i add a total conversion mod, it doesn't work.  the same with 2k12.  after i add the 2k mod, the game loads fine, but it still has the old original rosters and and the screens and not the mod screens and updates.  sure like to get one of these games working

I think the question about getting it running with Windows 10 has already been answered with alternatives discussed.  It's not really an MVP problem as much as it is a Windows problem.

think the question about getting it running with Windows 10 has already been answered with alternatives discussed.  It's not really an MVP problem as much as it is a Windows problem.

i couldn't get the mods to show up in the game with windows 7, so it isn't just a windows 10 problem.  i've followed the different instructions and advice on both mvp and 2k12 and it seems as though mvp works with windows 10 after i uninstall it and do a clean install and apply the patches, but not after installing the total conversion mod 12 or 15

Apple and oranges.   If you're gonna continue with W10 it's gonna be like knocking your head against the wall.

If W7, then we can try to help you in another context.

A lot of us have tried this, some of us just know the way Windows games from 15 years ago play with Windows 10, but speaking for myself, a couple of years ago, I spent weeks, literally weeks, trying everything that video game forum techie experts to computer forum techies to Windows OS forum techies suggested. In each case, particularly that of the computer techies, more than one person thought it was possible until they tried it themselves and quickly realised it wasn't worth the hassle to do what needed to be done. On person on a computer forum even told me to just run it through Linux  because even THAT would be easier than trying it via Windows 10.

"It isn't something that can be done" is the theme that has been repeating in this thread since July of 2015. Trust us, a lot of very skilled people have tried. And methods that involve using illegally obtained images are of no interest here, before someone says, "well, you CAN, but..."

53 minutes ago, giantsfan4evr said:

How do I get a 32 bit game (MVP Baseball 2005) to run in a 64 bit system (my Windows 10)?  Any help here would be appreciated, Thanks!

C'mon man.  Did you read anything in this thread at all?

On 11/6/2018 at 1:39 AM, Gordo said:

Full size video captures (also shows how classic pitching looks as ATL is the cpu team):

Gordo, what's this overlay? Digging it. Just don't like the bottom stats info bar.

40 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

Gordo, what's this overlay? Digging it. Just don't like the bottom stats info bar.

O man...that's archival.  I would check around the downloads/screenshots there.

I'm going to have to be switching to a Windows 10 computer...  I did a search on Secdrv.sys windows 10 to see if there has been anything recent that may solve the problem with MVP2005 running on Windows 10...  I came across this site... Fix CD Games that won't play in Windows 10 ... this was a March 2018 article...

https://windowsreport.com/cd-games-windows-10/

which has a section that is similar to previous efforts to use the Secdrv.sys  From Win 7 or 8 but seems to go into more detailed steps...  I wonder if anyone has tried this and if it would really work ?!?! 

Solution 5 – Add SafeDisc driver manually

We have to mention this solution can cause system instability and potential security issues, so use it at your own risk. To add SafeDisc driver manually follow these steps:

Download Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider tool from here.

Download SECDRV.SYS file or copy it from any older version of Windows. In older versions of Windows this file can be located in C:\windows\system32\drivers folder.

Move SECDRV.SYS file to C:\windows\system32\drivers folder on your Windows 10 computer.

Right click Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider and choose Run as administrator.

Choose Enable Test Mode and click Next.

Select Sign a System File, navigate to C:\windows\system32\drivers and select SECDRV.SYS file.

Click OK and restart your computer.

When your computer restarts, start Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider again and turn on Test Mode. After you’ve done that, you should be able to run old games once again on Windows 10.

Problems with CD games that won’t play on Windows 10 are caused by the lack of support for SecuROM and SafeDisc, but you can easily fix these problems by using some of our solutions. We also did a guide on how to play old games on Windows 10, so feel free to check it out if you need more information.

Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.

Hi all -

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I've been sifting through these various threads trying to get my new copy of MVP Baseball 2005 to play on Windows 10, and I'm about ready to give up and list it back on eBay.

Seems the general consensus is Windows 10 makes it darn near impossible, but I've also seen some users have success through various workarounds. I've tried a few solves from these forums, but can't even get the game to launch. I always run as administrator after trying these steps:

• Installed the game in its own C folder (not Program Files (x86)), and installed Patch 5. No luck.
  • Tried to edit the registry directly based on this thread (https://www.mvpmods.com/forums/topic/57400-mvp-not-starting-after-windows-7-9-8-15-updates/). No dice.
  • Turned off my antivirus per Vader's 10/6/18 post in this thread. Nothing.
  • Then followed Base Invader's post above mine, installed secdrv.sys into my system32/drivers folder and have followed the steps with Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider. Not a thing.

Is there anything I'm missing here? Should I be installing secdrv into my SYSWOW64/DRIVERS folder instead of my system32/drivers folder?

I've been so freaking excited to come back to this game and be a part of this community, but this has been so disheartening. Hoping I'm missing a solve that someone else has had success with, otherwise I think I'm out of luck.

I don't think messing with secdrv is something condoned around here, not sure.  I still think it would be easiest to partition or add a HDD if you can and then install Windows XP or 7.

Okay, so I am wanting to partition my laptop hard drive to include windows 7. Can I transfer a Win7 key from one laptop to another? Also, I just have the one internal hard drive, will I be able to install Win7 on there?

I don't think anyone here is comfortable instructing you on how to install Windows 7 other than the conventional way.  If you have the install disk, I assume you can get online support about where to find your key if you don't have it.   With one internal HDD, of course you can install Win7 on there, but are you wanting to wipe what's on there now?  You need to give more information.

So I tried downloading Win7 from microsoft website using a pre-installed key from a different computer. That did not work. I need to contact device manufacturer about it. Maybe I'll do that this weekend. I do not currently have an install disk. If using the pre-installed key from an old machine does not work, I need to purchase windows 7 some other way.

I have Windows 10 on my internal HDD right now. I would like to keep that installed and install Win7 on the same HDD. It looks like I need to partition my HDD in order to accomplish this. 

In summary, the biggest obstacle I am facing right now is getting a key/copy of Windows 7. There appears to be a plethora of information about partitioning a hard drive to add another OS. If anyone has recommendations for getting Windows 7, I would appreciate them. Best practices for partioning are also welcome.

Partitioning was discussed around here, possibly even in this thread.  I would search that term.

You won't get any recommendations on how to get W7 other than by conventional means.  You'll have to buy it.

Fun fact: MVP Baseball 2005 is certified Platinum (meaning it plays with 0 bugs/issues) on Linux through Wine as of June 2010. 

NOTE: The version of Wine that was tested on MVP was 1.2 rc-4.  Wine as of July 2019 is on version 4.0.1 now, so the game should be 100% compatible.

I should test this out again as I had run into quirks in the past ;) If it works out 100% like the site says, the best bet is to dual boot something like Ubuntu or a flavor of Debian (I completely forgot how to do this off the top of my head) and install Wine to get this thing to play without a hitch.