Windows 7 update

TheMouchman

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon everyone.  I'm a new poster here, but not new to the forum scene.  If anyone is into Mortal Kombat, you may know me as 995Phil or simply 9.95 from the testyourmight.com forums.  Anyway, all that aside, I have been a huge baseball fan my entire life and like everyone here, I still believe MVP05 is the pinnacle of baseball gaming, and I was thrilled to find this community and see how this game has been kept alive and updated for so long.  

That said, I am completely disappointed that I cannot get it to run on my windows 7 machine.

I did my homework before posting, so let me clarify a few things.

1. Yes, my copy is legitimate.

2. I followed all the directions for installation in the "Recommended Installation Guide" by Kccitystar

3. I followed all the directions in this thread for the 9/8/15 update and modified the registry as directed.

Nothing works.  The game crashes at start up all the time.  It always tells me that MVP2005.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.  Once in a while I get a black screen with the monitor changing resolution and then crash.  I'm at a complete loss for what to do.

My computer:

Alienware M14x

Processor 2.3GHz Intel Core i7-2820QM
Memory 8GB, 1,600MHz DDR3
Hard drive 750GB 7,200rpm
Chipset Intel HM67
Graphics Nvidia GeForce GT 555M / Intel HD 3000
Operating system Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)

There is no reason this game shouldn't work on my laptop.  Can anyone help?

Edited by chirotob

1 hour ago, tomk30816 said:

Have you tried to run it in compatibility mode?  For example: windows xp, sp2 or sp3.  And/or as administrator?

Yes, I tried compatibility mode and that still didn't work, nor did running as administrator.  Actually, running as admin is always my first attempt to fix something and it usually works.  In this case it doesn't.

1 hour ago, Gordo said:

Compatibility mode would be good.  Also, are you trying to run the original version or the MVP 15 mod?  Try running either MVP 08 or MVP 12 as those were the last two highly stable mods for most people.

I'm actually trying to get a clean install of plain old vanilla MVP05 up and running with zero mods.  I didn't want to install mods till I saw the clean install run. 

Do the mods make the game run? 

12 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

Mods make the game look better and enhance everything that EA sports put into the game. Better uniforms, stadiums, portraits, cyberfaces, etc, etc. But they do not make the game run.

I didn't think so.  I don't know, I guess I'm SOL unless I want to install WinXP on my laptop, which I'm not doing.

If you can disable the intel HD3000 graphics, it should run.  I know that many people that play Links 2003 that have integrated graphics cards on their laptops can not get that game to run, unless they disable the integrated graphics.  Had your game run with both graphics prior to the windows 7?

4 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

If you are running the game on an NVIDIA card make sure you don't have any custom settings for the game (custom AA settings, AF settings, etc) and try again.

If the game is not working after a vanilla installation, it's a sign of a bigger issue.

I couldn't run custom setting for the game if I wanted since I can't get to the graphics setting of the game b/c it won't start.  Hopefully the 4gb patch will at least get the game started.  Would I need to make any changes basic nvidia settings on the card via the nvidia control panel before attempting to start the game?  I've already used the nvidia control panel to assign the exe to run on the nvidia card as the default gpu.

4 hours ago, tomk30816 said:

If you can disable the intel HD3000 graphics, it should run.  I know that many people that play Links 2003 that have integrated graphics cards on their laptops can not get that game to run, unless they disable the integrated graphics.  Had your game run with both graphics prior to the windows 7?

I used the nvidia control panel to assign the exe to run on the nvidia card as the default gpu.

2 hours ago, dennisjames71 said:

@chirotob:  Have you tried out the 4gb patch? I had similar issues regarding video resolution.....

I haven't.  I will definitly give that a try later.  Thanks!

Ok, so here's a strange update.  The 4gb patch did NOT work for me on my laptop at home.  However, by following the exact same installation steps on my pc at work, and applying the 4gb patch, the game worked flawlessly!

So here's a few of the differences:

Laptop:

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit

Nvidia GeForce GT 555M / Intel HD 3000

Work:

Windows 7 enterprise 32 bit

Nvidia GeForce 7300 SE

1. Is it possible that the Intel HD 3000 is interfering and causing an error?

2. Is it possible that the 64 bit version of windows 7 is to blame?

Thanks everyone.  Progress!

I won't get a chance to try this until I'm home later tonight, possibly tomorrow night, but I think it's more than just disabling the intel HD 3000, I think I have to set my nvidia card as the global card for everything first, because when I disabled the HD 3000 the other night, my entire pc went black and had to do a power button hard reset, so obviously the card isn't set to do everything globally.  I will check and report my results.  

Ok... So after exhaustive research , and learning more about my laptop and nvidia Optimus technology than I care to admit, the problem is exactly that... The Nvidia Optimus Technology.  My laptop, the Alienware m14x r1, simply doesn't use the technology well.  Even when I set the nvidia settings to launch mvp2005.exe with the nvidia, it never switched from the intel hd3000 to the nvidia, causing the error.

The fun part of all of this is that when The Optimus technology is in use, the machine relies on it to run anything you don't whitelist on the nvidia card, AND if Optimus doesn't have a profile for it, it will NEVER switch to the nvidia card to use it.

With mvp05 being so old, of course no such profile exists.  

It it seemed my only option was to disable the HD3000.  Nope... Doing so also deactivated the nvidia because the Optimus technology is tied directly to the hd3000!

Ok, maybe I can disable the hd3000 in the bios, forcing the nvidia to be the only card recognized, therefore bypassing the Optimus technology.  NOPE AGAIN!  The bios is locked and will not allow me to disable the hd3000!

My only option is to download (and pray) a hacked "unlocked" bios  that allows me to turn off the hd3000.  Wish me luck tonight!