MLB 16 The Show Impressions

zzcoolj21

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear the love for this game, but I'm not really reading any solid impressions, especially about game play.

P.S.  Aceshigh.... I saw your avatar pic as I was watching a ST game earlier this week, but forgot to get a pic capture.  Hilarious

24 minutes ago, Gordo said:

P.S.  Aceshigh.... I saw your avatar pic as I was watching a ST game earlier this week, but forgot to get a pic capture.  Hilarious

That is actually from last year's (or two years' ago) ST and it was reposted on twitter by a then Red Sox pitcher with the caption 'Come on it's really not that big, is it?' . Apparently they haven't learnt from their mistakes haha!

As for impressions i am still downloading the damn thing lol 28 minutes left as of now. So far I have only gone through the tutorial, which allows you to play the Mets-Royals game, and I have to say that hitting feels weird, coming from 2Ks 'stick swing'. It feels like the game decides everything for you, including where the balls are going to go and that it doesn't matter what kind of swing you decide to use: I could get a bomb with the contact swing. Could be because I did the tutorial on rookie difficulty? Pitching feels solid. Weirdly I couldn't find a way to replace my pitcher during the game! Like I said though, could be just because I was playing the tutorial. Can't wait to play more and see what the full game is really all about

1 hour ago, aceshigh said:

That is actually from last year's (or two years' ago) ST and it was reposted on twitter by a then Red Sox pitcher with the caption 'Come on it's really not that big, is it?' . Apparently they haven't learnt from their mistakes haha!

As for impressions i am still downloading the damn thing lol 28 minutes left as of now. So far I have only gone through the tutorial, which allows you to play the Mets-Royals game, and I have to say that hitting feels weird, coming from 2Ks 'stick swing'. It feels like the game decides everything for you, including where the balls are going to go and that it doesn't matter what kind of swing you decide to use: I could get a bomb with the contact swing. Could be because I did the tutorial on rookie difficulty? Pitching feels solid. Weirdly I couldn't find a way to replace my pitcher during the game! Like I said though, could be just because I was playing the tutorial. Can't wait to play more and see what the full game is really all about

Rookie difficulty increases the sweet spot/contact timing on balls hit, and type of hitting mode will modify the swing type for better control.

I use analog hitting by default and modify the settings so that the right analog stick determines my stride and the left analog stick will determine the zone in which my swing will be catered to hit balls in. I'll expand on this in a subsequent post so it makes a lot more sense. The stock settings hold your hand a little bit.

2 hours ago, Gordo said:

I hear the love for this game, but I'm not really reading any solid impressions, especially about game play.

My brother picked up the PS3 version of the game and from what I've played yesterday, gameplay is very, very polished. They increased the size of the ball very slightly this year, or at least fixed the lighting that was missing from the ball. There's a lot of hit quality as the difficulty ramps up (by default I set it to Dynamic so the difficulty increases with the solid hits I make vs the CPU), since the degree of how each pitch type/quality influences the type of contact you will make scales on how frequent you make contact with the ball.

I will say that it feels pretty rewarding to make contact, and the audio has been revamped to reflect that as well, so no doubter homeruns will sound/feel a lot differently than a flyball that juuuust went over the fence but looks clobbered due to the high apex of the hit.

I'll play some more tonight and post some more impressions, but just a side note, this game is extremely customizable in terms of tuning the gameplay. There's just way too many sliders.

16 minutes ago, DaSteelerz said:

Good news is that I hear it may come to the Xbox One next year which I have. I hope it comes to PC thereafter since the 3 game giants (PC, XB, and PS) have already agreed on cross-platform gaming. Truth is I'd rather have more options. :-/

This game, being made by a Sony owned studio, makes this idea impossible. If it was a third party making this game I'd be excited. Maybe 2K will come back after this self imposed exile from MLB games.

23 minutes ago, DaSteelerz said:

Good news is that I hear it may come to the Xbox One next year which I have. I hope it comes to PC thereafter since the 3 game giants (PC, XB, and PS) have already agreed on cross-platform gaming. Truth is I'd rather have more options. :-/

They said on a stream it will never be on pc or "that other system".

22 hours ago, zzcoolj21 said:

They said on a stream it will never be on pc or "that other system".

Well that's too bad. They will never get my money. Good thing, I've never liked the series much anyway. It's probably just Sony's interest to keep exclusive titles. This is bad for consumers. More reason not to buy for me.

3 hours ago, DaSteelerz said:

Well that's too bad. They will never get my money. Good thing, I've never liked the series much anyway. It's probably just Sony's interest to keep exclusive titles. This is bad for consumers. More reason not to buy for me.

LOL dude the studio itself is owned by Sony of course they'd want to keep the MLB game on their console. RBI Baseball on the other hand, if someone took the time to learn Unity, we'd have a goldmine ;)

1 hour ago, Kccitystar said:

LOL dude the studio itself is owned by Sony of course they'd want to keep the MLB game on their console. RBI Baseball on the other hand, if someone took the time to learn Unity, we'd have a goldmine ;)

I understand it is a result of MS doing the same type of business, but it sucks for gamers.

On 30/03/2016 at 4:06 AM, DaSteelerz said:

I highly doubt a Sony game is going to be a non-Sony Playstation exclusive.

Now, given, I haven't purchased The Show since 2009, but I gave up on it entirely because it was 100% focused on the hitting at the expense of pitching. Also, the RTTS goals were stupid. Like, if I'm an AL closer, needing to put points into bunting is idiocy.

Have they made any improvements to pitching and/or fixed RTTS goals?

I got it the day it came out and I love it so far.  I love the dynamic difficulty.   I have seen one bug so far,  I pulled a double steal on accident when I had runners on 1st and 3rd, the catcher ran to the front of the plate and just stood there as I stole home.  Didn't even try to tag me.   The fielding has taken a little time to get used to also but overall the controls are tight and the animations are excellent.    Only played dynasty mode so far.

I have the game, MLBTS 16, buy it every year. Since I like to face pitchers that throw what they do in real life, the first thing I do is edit pitchers repertoire. Thus, I've not experienced the auto base running bug that many have complained about. I use auto base running, and at 74 in August, I'm not about to change. Fortunately I am doing pitch edits so haven't played a game. However, in around 2-3 weeks I should be ready, and what will I do if that auto BR is not fixed? Well, let's say my MORALE will not be good.

Went and bought the game for our PS3 this weekend. This game is awesome and a blast to play. Doing the Road to the Show right now. Probably going to start on a franchise tonight I'm thinking. Well worth the $40 for this game and it plays and looks good on a PS3 also.

• 1 month later...

Get off the shows d!#%. played it for both ps3 and ps4 for the past 2 years and well lets just say I'd rather BE at a baseball game then be a sheep show buyer every year. 2K mod is legit, thanks fellas!

And I'm more then likely better at baseball in real life then most all of you... so I know my stuff.

Hey great first post td!  Let's see:

1) You're comparing a virtual situation to a real life situation. Check.

2) You just pissed off all of those who buy The Show in a single phrase. Check.

3) You compared The Show to 2K in a thread where they're not comparing the two games. Check.

4) You came out as arrogant as hell in double time, probably meaning either a) you're really not better at baseball in real life than most of us or b ) maybe you are better at baseball in real life than most of us, which means you still have the same asshole attitude on your team, meaning that most of your teammates can't stand you.  Check.

Moral of the story, boys and girls:  most people who have to blow their own horn are usually doing it out of their ass.

Get off the shows d!#%. played it for both ps3 and ps4 for the past 2 years and well lets just say I'd rather BE at a baseball game then be a sheep show buyer every year. 2K mod is legit, thanks fellas!

And I'm more then likely better at baseball in real life then most all of you... so I know my stuff.

Good for you. Try again with some manners.

Sheesh

Well put, Gordo

Archived