Blue Purple Red Orange Gold Green Teal Chocolate Charcoal
Blue Purple Red Orange Gold Green Teal Chocolate Charcoal
zzcoolj21

MLB 16 The Show Impressions

Everything seems tighter control wise.the brought the stride option back for hitting which I'm loving. The precision hitting is also pretty great. 

The games beautiful but there is still a little bit of framerate issues in cut scenes. Last year in broadcast pitching after you selected a pitch the graphics downgraded a bit. It doesn't this year. The pbr lighting is cool but I don't notice it much to be honest.

I actually dove and caught a ball in the outfield which i haven't been able to do for years. A little disappointed that you cant have the throw meter over your head ala 2k, without the gd awful massive new throw meter under your feet. Hit variety is definetly better. 

The accessories are sick this year. Sunglasses as well. Shoes look crisper than in the past. 

Sounds of the show really ads so much. All in all it's a great game.

1 hour ago, cujomatty said:

Everything seems tighter control wise.the brought the stride option back for hitting which I'm loving. The precision hitting is also pretty great. 

The games beautiful but there is still a little bit of framerate issues in cut scenes. Last year in broadcast pitching after you selected a pitch the graphics downgraded a bit. It doesn't this year. The pbr lighting is cool but I don't notice it much to be honest.

I actually dove and caught a ball in the outfield which i haven't been able to do for years. A little disappointed that you cant have the throw meter over your head ala 2k, without the gd awful massive new throw meter under your feet. Hit variety is definetly better. 

The accessories are sick this year. Sunglasses as well. Shoes look crisper than in the past. 

Sounds of the show really ads so much. All in all it's a great game.

If the PS4 wasn't so spendy, I'd go buy one and get this game. Watched a bunch of clips on youtube last night and it looks very impressive.

I've never played a game where making contact feels this rewarding.

Ill edit this post in the morning with some pictures and thoughts.

I preordered it today. 6 more hours until I can start my download. One question: my console is actually downloading a 6gb file for The Show. What is it? I have no clue as the game is 42 gbs in total...

17 minutes ago, aceshigh said:

I preordered it today. 6 more hours until I can start my download. One question: my console is actually downloading a 6gb file for The Show. What is it? I have no clue as the game is 42 gbs in total...

Right after that is done it will download the 42 gb file. They just split the download into 2 lopsided parts for some reason.

1 hour ago, zzcoolj21 said:

Right after that is done it will download the 42 gb file. They just split the download into 2 lopsided parts for some reason.

Oh boy. It's gonna be a looooong download. So the grand total is 42+6 gbs huh? Thanks for the info zz :)

Got the ps3 verison of the game. My only complaint is the computer pitcher ALWAYS throws strikes. NEVER misses at least in the 3 games I've played so far. I've yet to get 1 pitch not a strike from the computer 

10 hours ago, gotribematt said:

Got the ps3 verison of the game. My only complaint is the computer pitcher ALWAYS throws strikes. NEVER misses at least in the 3 games I've played so far. I've yet to get 1 pitch not a strike from the computer 

It might be a bug where you are stuck in rookie batting difficulty and it hasn't adjusted if you set it to Dynamic hitting. Rookie hitting difficulty will throw more meatballs and stuff around the plate and will only throw junk if you keep trying to hit garbage

50 minutes ago, Kccitystar said:

It might be a bug where you are stuck in rookie batting difficulty and it hasn't adjusted if you set it to Dynamic hitting. Rookie hitting difficulty will throw more meatballs and stuff around the plate and will only throw junk if you keep trying to hit garbage

It was on rookie I switched it over the dynamic and it got better. 

On a related note I'm blaming KC for my first loss ;)

Oh my goodness, I'm hitting absolute bombs in home run derby for the first time ever. Farthest I hit is 495 with Giancarlo Stanton.

I hear the love for this game, but I'm not really reading any solid impressions, especially about game play.

P.S.  Aceshigh.... I saw your avatar pic as I was watching a ST game earlier this week, but forgot to get a pic capture.  Hilarious

24 minutes ago, Gordo said:

P.S.  Aceshigh.... I saw your avatar pic as I was watching a ST game earlier this week, but forgot to get a pic capture.  Hilarious

That is actually from last year's (or two years' ago) ST and it was reposted on twitter by a then Red Sox pitcher with the caption 'Come on it's really not that big, is it?' . Apparently they haven't learnt from their mistakes haha!

As for impressions i am still downloading the damn thing lol 28 minutes left as of now. So far I have only gone through the tutorial, which allows you to play the Mets-Royals game, and I have to say that hitting feels weird, coming from 2Ks 'stick swing'. It feels like the game decides everything for you, including where the balls are going to go and that it doesn't matter what kind of swing you decide to use: I could get a bomb with the contact swing. Could be because I did the tutorial on rookie difficulty? Pitching feels solid. Weirdly I couldn't find a way to replace my pitcher during the game! Like I said though, could be just because I was playing the tutorial. Can't wait to play more and see what the full game is really all about

1 hour ago, aceshigh said:

That is actually from last year's (or two years' ago) ST and it was reposted on twitter by a then Red Sox pitcher with the caption 'Come on it's really not that big, is it?' . Apparently they haven't learnt from their mistakes haha!

As for impressions i am still downloading the damn thing lol 28 minutes left as of now. So far I have only gone through the tutorial, which allows you to play the Mets-Royals game, and I have to say that hitting feels weird, coming from 2Ks 'stick swing'. It feels like the game decides everything for you, including where the balls are going to go and that it doesn't matter what kind of swing you decide to use: I could get a bomb with the contact swing. Could be because I did the tutorial on rookie difficulty? Pitching feels solid. Weirdly I couldn't find a way to replace my pitcher during the game! Like I said though, could be just because I was playing the tutorial. Can't wait to play more and see what the full game is really all about

Rookie difficulty increases the sweet spot/contact timing on balls hit, and type of hitting mode will modify the swing type for better control.

I use analog hitting by default and modify the settings so that the right analog stick determines my stride and the left analog stick will determine the zone in which my swing will be catered to hit balls in. I'll expand on this in a subsequent post so it makes a lot more sense. The stock settings hold your hand a little bit.