Will MVP 2005 work on Windows 8?

Owen Greaves

OK, MVP 2005 Stock will install, Patch 5 installed fine. I had to install MVP12 via explodeme, it said there was a problem opening all the database folder files. I was unable to install MVP12 Patches 1 & 2 because TiT will not run properly, or at least it won't finish without crashing.

I do have MVP12 working without the two patches : ) So it does work, but you have to turn off Smartscreen and Account Access before you can even think about installing.

I'm a happy camper so far : )

OK, MVP 2005 Stock will install, Patch 5 installed fine. I had to install MVP12 via explodeme, it said there was a problem opening all the database folder files. I was unable to install MVP12 Patches 1 & 2 because TiT will not run properly, or at least it won't finish without crashing.

I do have MVP12 working without the two patches : ) So it does work, but you have to turn off Smartscreen and Account Access before you can even think about installing.

I'm a happy camper so far : )

I don't know if you tried this yet, but at a minimum, download any separate roster such as the latest Baseup! roster and then extract the contents of that directly to your Data/Database folder. Trying to install Patches 1/2 manually by dragging and/or dropping won't work very neatly, especially for portraits. You'd have to import a ton of files via Biggui, and I don't know if you have the time to do that.

Did you purposely install Windows 8 Pro or did it come with a new PC that you purchased? I think anyone who tries to have the latest OS from M$ simply because it is the latest goes looking for trouble globally. I don't trust anything they put out until I see what's being reported on it for at least a year. Vista should have taught everyone that.

What about partitioning your drive or installing a smaller second drive, installing XP on that and booting from it when you want to. Seems like it would take less time to do that than to monkey around with all of these files just to get one game to work.

No matter how you feel about M$, we as a community still have to change and build mods that will run on the latest OS. You can only hold back the tide for so long : )

Win 8 is really just Win 7 with new clothes, but Win 8 Pro has all the friggin Bitlock crap and other various things you would need on a Tablet, and that is where problems arise IMHO : )

I would rather run MVP on Slackware Linux because that's what I run on my Laptop, I run Windows because the rest of my family knows how to use it. Plus, they don't like Linux : )

I love these klnds of challenges anyway, I can't wait to try Schedulde Updater now ; - )

No matter how you feel about M$, we as a community still have to change and build mods that will run on the latest OS.

It's not just what I think about M$, it's the prevailing perception. They put their products out too early with too many bugs.

I really don't understand the second part of your statement. We as a community have to? We're modding a game that was programmed around the time of about 3-4 OS's ago. So now why are we responsible to make sure it runs on the latest? Not following your logic.

You're taking me to literal, if we want this game to have life...then the modders will have to figure out how to make it work on Win 8, that's all I'm saying. Whether the modders, (and that's not me unfortunately) do or do not is entirely up to them, but one way or the other...if MVP 2005 BaseBall is going to continue to be played, it makes sense to me that more and more people will be upgrading the OS, because there will be no other choice....not staying with XP, Vista or Win 7 just to play the game.

WE are the only people playing this game to my knowledge, if WE don't do it...who will? So the responsibility will still be with the modders until EA Sports brings it back to life. It's simple logic to me...I'm not aware of any other group modding this game, that's why I am saying WE : )

Anyway, I'm not attacking and I'm not trying **** you off....just looking at this from a different perspective.

You're taking me to literal, if we want this game to have life...then the modders will have to figure out how to make it work on Win 8, that's all I'm saying. Whether the modders, (and that's not me unfortunately) do or do not is entirely up to them, but one way or the other...if MVP 2005 BaseBall is going to continue to be played, it makes sense to me that more and more people will be upgrading the OS, because there will be no other choice....not staying with XP, Vista or Win 7 just to play the game.

Why? Because all of a sudden you have Windows 8 and you want these guys "to make it work" for you? Who told you to upgrade to the newest version of Windows? It runs fine on XP, Vista and Windows 7 and I should know this because I have computers with all three of these operating systems on it.

I can guarantee you there is not going to be a lot of people in here upgrading to Windows 8 especially with some of the reviews it got.

WE are the only people playing this game to my knowledge, if WE don't do it...who will? So the responsibility will still be with the modders until EA Sports brings it back to life. It's simple logic to me...I'm not aware of any other group modding this game, that's why I am saying WE : )

Again, it's the responsibility of the modders here to get the game working on the new OS because you had to have that particular system right away? I don't think so.

Anyway, I'm not attacking and I'm not trying **** you off....just looking at this from a different perspective.

I'm not sure how else I was supposed to take it other than literal. This is a forum and without the nuances of human interaction, then whatever words you put on here are open to massive interpretation unless you are crystal clear.

I stay with XP because it is reliable and I don't have to jump through a bunch of hoops and whistles for much of anything, let alone MVP. It ain't broke, etc., etc.

I didn't take you as attacking or trying to **** me off. Where in the world did you get that from? Go back and read what I wrote.

No worries man! I'm just sharing my perspective that's all : )

If MVP is that important to me, and it is these days because it's my entertainment....I have another machine not doing anything, I can put XP on it and be all the MVP I can be : )

But it still might make sense to port the game for Win 8 in the future, but I'm not the one doing the modding so I'll be grateful for anything this community builds.

If MVP is that important to me, and it is these days because it's my entertainment....I have another machine not doing anything, I can put XP on it and be all the MVP I can be : )

Your problem is solved right there. Put Mvp on that machine along with Windows XP. You won't have to worry about anything. Mvp runs smooth on XP. I love it on XP. I don't worry about a thing and there are a lot less headaches.

But it still might make sense to port the game for Win 8 in the future, but I'm not the one doing the modding so I'll be grateful for anything this community builds.

Why?

And this site does not port the game for Windows 8. Mods are made here. This is what this place is about.

I obviously thought there would be a willingness to keep things rolling on newer OS's, I guess not. Sorry I brought the topic up.

Having said that, I do appreciate all who participate and work hard on modding here.

The game runs on Win 8 just fine, it's TiT that actually doesn't run...so I guess there's nothing more to do to run MVP 2005 BaseBall on Win 8. Consider the subject closed.

The game runs on Win 8 just fine, it's TiT that actually doesn't run...so I guess there's nothing more to do to run MVP 2005 BaseBall on Win 8. Consider the subject closed.

The TiT program was not made with Windows 8 in mind because when the programmer who made the Total installer Thingy made it Windows 8 did not exist yet. The person who made this does not come on the site anymore and no one here has the right to go screwing around with that program to make it work on a new operating system just to keep one person happy. If Krawhitham ever comes back you tell him the problems you are having. Until then you are out of luck.

Windows 7 and above have different security measures that keeps people or programs from tinkering with the Program Files folder.

The only way around this issue was to run every executable that would require you to mod MVP05 files within the Program Files folder as an Administrator. If necessary, you could run it in compatibility mode with Windows XP.

If I can find my MVP 2005 discs, I'll test it out on my Windows 8 x64 rig and see if it all works like I'm assuming it would.

The TiT program was not made with Windows 8 in mind because when the programmer who made the Total installer Thingy made it Windows 8 did not exist yet. The person who made this does not come on the site anymore and no one here has the right to go screwing around with that program to make it work on a new operating system just to keep one person happy. If Krawhitham ever comes back you tell him the problems you are having. Until then you are out of luck.

Did he (Krawhitham) just lose interest or did real life just get in the way?

Windows 7 and above have different security measures that keeps people or programs from tinkering with the Program Files folder.

The only way around this issue was to run every executable that would require you to mod MVP05 files within the Program Files folder as an Administrator. If necessary, you could run it in compatibility mode with Windows XP.

If I can find my MVP 2005 discs, I'll test it out on my Windows 8 x64 rig and see if it all works like I'm assuming it would.

I got it MVP 2005 to work on Win 8, but TiT does not work, so you can't install Patch 1 & 2, well you can manually : )