BallFour's Uni Mods

BallFour

Hmmm... my experimenting has me questioning whether or not I'll be able to do this in MVP. I think it's something attached to the stadiums and how the lights of the stadium reflect off the helmets. But I've attached a few pictures for comparison.

matte.png.fd439ccbd0283df715c3c1e7df15ef20.pngtraditional.png.be80b803f1f88df4a42b6d9a948f5926.png

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/11/2019 at 8:48 PM, BallFour said:

They're the different looking texture that some teams use for batting helmets. For the Yankees, their road helmet is considered "matte" while their home batting helmet is traditional. It's just a matter of how light reflects off it.

The "reflection" texture you're looking for is in initstaz.big > initstay.big.

Should be a file named helmenvm.fsh within initstay.big, if history serves me correct ;)

20 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

The "reflection" texture you're looking for is in initstaz.big > initstay.big.

Should be a file named helmenvm.fsh within initstay.big, if history serves me correct ;)

Thank you! I'll mess around with it, but I'm guessing it's impossible to do it on a case by case basis and it would just change things for the whole game and not just the few teams that have matte helmets. Also, I'm gonna have to find an EA Graphics Editor tutorial as to how to edit the alpha images because I've just been doing NSFHtool and Photoshop up to this point.

11 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

Your work is starting to sound like an epic road trip. I remember we had a modder on our site at some point (Moser316) that did uniforms in an order similar to a road trip. He was awesome.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you! :D

12 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

Your work is starting to sound like an epic road trip. I remember we had a modder on our site at some point (Moser316) that did uniforms in an order similar to a road trip. He was awesome.

He sure was. He was something. I bet I have some of his stuff too. 😉

16 hours ago, BallFour said:

Just finished the Astros uniform pack. With the total overhaul the Brewers did that I finished a while ago, I'm now jumping over to Pittsburgh. 

How do you find time to do this and work on the '98 mod too?

35 minutes ago, Yankee4Life said:

He sure was. He was something. I bet I have some of his stuff too. 😉

His work on High Heat is one of the reasons why I even started modding MVP when it initially released. I was creating uniforms for Triple Play for some time. Never forgot about him.

How do you find time to do this and work on the '98 mod too?

I'd like to think when you're modding teams, you have a template and some techniques down to a science that make things easy. There's also going into a flow state.

Yeah, I've got a template down for most. Like with the minor league teams for MVP 98, I've just taken a similar team's style and modded the logos/wordmarks and stuff. For example, if there's a team that has the piping down the front of the jersey like the Tigers, I'll use the Tigers as a template and just change the colors as needed. For teams with multicolored piping, I'll use the Braves. Black pinstripes will be the White Sox. Navy pinstripes will be the Yankees, color pinstripes will be the Reds, etc. The reason for the White Sox, Yankees, and Reds is because they've got the an easy logo to disappear. Rather than having text across the chest, it's just the emblem on the left chest, which makes things SO much simpler when trying to line things up for pinstripes.

And I'll be honest, I've taken a bit of a break from MVP 98 to get the present day unis done. Right now, as MVP 98 stands, I've found pictures of all the free agents, and now I just need to mod the caps/jerseys so it looks like all the free agents are wearing plain white jerseys with black undershirts and black caps. That can be a bit challenging, and then all the 2020 uniform changes began to roll out, so I've started to adjust the whole of MLB. 

Also, thank you VERY much to KC because without your jersey editing tutorial, I would have never discovered how to get a more stitch like texture for the jersey logos. All I was previously doing was creating a drop shadow so it didn't look like some text just haphazardly pasted onto a jersey. So big thanks to you for that!

13 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

His work on High Heat is one of the reasons why I even started modding MVP when it initially released. I was creating uniforms for Triple Play for some time. Never forgot about him.

A lot of these guys probably don't realize you ran your own site back in the day. There were two different Triple Play sites and they were both very active. And when High Heat came out he had a lot of uniforms for that game too. And of course you remember Paulw! I first ran into him during the High Heat days when he came out with a simply beautiful version of Ebbets Field. Isn't it something how these games have a connection?

13 minutes ago, Yankee4Life said:

A lot of these guys probably don't realize you ran your own site back in the day.

Hey! That's a secret!

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611e807e95fb24da6baec

There were two different Triple Play sites and they were both very active. And when High Heat came out he had a lot of uniforms for that game too. And of course you remember Paulw! I first ran into him during the High Heat days when he came out with a simply beautiful version of Ebbets Field. Isn't it something how these games have a connection?

Given how long we've been online friends and how we've all known each other for quite some time, I'm aware of how connected we all are. A lot of you guys feel like distant relatives to me and I'm appreciative of it all. I totally get how close-knit so much of the NBA Live/2K community is as well.

• 1 month later...

So I've been working on portraits lately, and I just thought I'd show off some Photoshopping skills. In 1998, the Indians traded Sean Casey to the Reds in exchange for Dave Burba, but the trade wasn't completed until after Picture Day. Therefore, Casey was in an Indians jersey and Burba was in a Reds uniform when headshots were taken. Here are the originals:

gettyimages-252723-2048x2048.thumb.jpg.0666440b2ecc4533b141725c7306cb11.jpggettyimages-271686-2048x2048.thumb.jpg.69b05f7bb79f7da9c6032f74a199ffef.jpg

Since there are similarities, I didn't mess with the undershirts or the bills of the caps. I just focused on the crown of the caps and the jerseys, and here's what I came up with.

casey.jpg.8bb3a7903163676e7a27163a8a44dc18.jpgburba.jpg.a0eaab1f72675267b8e83a44b287a97c.jpg

Images are scaled down to 128x128 for proper in-game portrait size. 

Archived