Names on Dodgers uniforms!

BallFour

So you just can't take it anymore. Over a decade has gone by and your eye is still twitching because the Dodgers don't have player names on the back of their uniforms, all because MVP Baseball hard coded the Dodgers. You've probably tried creating new uni slots to get the jersey names on back, but then poof go those little red numbers on front! You begin to spiral into some deep depression that only a decade of computer coding experience can cure. It seems like all hope is lost. It seems like you're destined to take the plunge and just... gasp... not play as or with the Dodgers anymore. Well, friend, rest easy, because BallFour is here to help! I'm going to tell you all about how I got the Dodgers their names on back of their jerseys WHILE keeping those sweet red numbers in front. You ready? I know you are. You've been waiting 12 years for this!

Step 1 - Have a desire for the Houston Astros to wear a uniform from back before they put numbers on the front. That means you'll either have to be in a Total Classics version before the year 2000 or be willing to have your eye twitch with rage every time you see the Astros without numbers of the front of their jerseys.

Step 2 - TOTAL TEAM SWAP. Yup. That means in models.big, we're changing stuff. The Dodgers and Astros are going to swap spots. The Dodgers are coded as 16 and the Astros are coded as 21, so that means everything in models.big that has 016 in front needs to become 021 and vice versa. But remember - the Astros will need to have their uniforms start with d, e, f - otherwise, you'll have the same no-name problem as you had with the Dodgers. Then you go into the logos.big directory, swap l016.fsh and l021.fsh. Then you go into the audio/cd/spch_pbp/tnamedat and export those suckers and rename them. THEN you go into the audio/sph_pbp/tnamehdr and use a hex editor to swap 016 and 021 by changing the codes in there. And then you have to do the same thing all over again for the pa announcer.

Step 3 - Wow, you're really committed to this. Next up, swap the stadiums. That means Minute Maid becomes Dodger Stadium and vice versa. Then it's another round of audio editing so that the dudes in the booth say the right stadium. But then... oh wait. You're in Minute Maid, and the crowd is chanting "LET'S GO DODGERS!" No, I assure you, the city of Houston hasn't all turned to Dodger fans overnight. You have to go do *MORE* audio editing!  You'll see audio/chants/chanthdr.big so open that up and look for the hex code for 17 and the hex code for 22 (because the audio files start with 01 rather than 00) and swap 'em out!

Step 4 - Well great! You've got the audio, the stadiums, and the jerseys, but why is Roger Clemens still starting for the Dodgers? Well, now it's time to jack everything up in your database. Open your database folder, and then your team file. And again, we're trading the Dodgers with the Astros. But if you don't want the Vero Beach Dodgers as the Astros single-A affiliate, you have to open up the org.dat file and then take the affiliates from Houston and put them into LA and vice versa. If you want to install the proper records to show during Exhibition play, you'll need to open tstat.dat and change around the wins-losses record. Nobody said life was easy, snowflake.

Step 5 - Coaches. Just because you've got the teams over now, doesn't mean you've got the coaches, so you might be seeing Phil Garner coaching the Dodgers. In that case, it's time to open MVPedit and edit the teams there too. Do whatever touchups you need. 

... or you could, you know, just deal with not having names on the back of Dodgers jerseys. I have done all of these steps (and maybe a few more that I'm currently forgetting), and have had massive success with a custom 1998 mod I'm working on. I've attached screenshots to prove it CAN be done. It's just not easy. Oh, and here's picture of Mike Piazza because I edited his face to give him that fu manchu.

astroback.jpg

astrofront.jpg

dodgerback.jpg

dodgerfront.jpg

opengraphic.jpg

piazza.jpg