Pitching/Batting cameras and splitscreen

Jakob47

Hey guys!

Recently got my MVP Baseball 2005 up and running on steam link so I can play it wireless on my tv 
:D So pleased with this, been trying to get this to work for months. But I have two big questions, still unanswered; can you play in split screen on local multiplayer aka couch playing? Would love it to be able to sit down with my friends and play side by side, instead of having to close your eyes every time someone's choosing pitch location...

And secondly, how do you choose different camera angles for batting/pitching? As it is now I have to constantly pause the game to change camera depending on if I'm batting or pitching. Is there a setting to make these permanent?

Much love to this community!

Hey there (sorry, your name is too hard to type :) ).To the best of my knowledge there is no split screen.  As far as the pitching and batting view, it's under "batting view" in the options.  You'll get different batting and pitching views depending on the datafile (see the downloads area) that you use. 

On 4/1/2017 at 6:05 PM, Gordo said:

Hey there (sorry, your name is too hard to type :) ).To the best of my knowledge there is no split screen.  As far as the pitching and batting view, it's under "batting view" in the options.  You'll get different batting and pitching views depending on the datafile (see the downloads area) that you use. 

Hello and thanks for the answer! Do you mean that different program files has different options? I mean I can find the camera settings under batting view but all that does is changing temporarily, which means that I'll need to change back every time I'm pitching or vise versa. Do you mean that other data files has a batting view as well as a pitching view so that you don't have to change them in a game?

As for split screen I guess I just have to live with it :) 

Not sure what you mean by temporarily.   Maybe you're changing them in game from where you have them in the main options.  I agree that the interface initially is a bit weird.  But go into the options from the main screen and set the pitch/bat option the way you want so that they hold throughout each game.

The datafiles.txt simply manipulate the coded, established pitch / bat views (among other things).

I assume you want split screen to play 2 player games.  Yes, unfortunately no split screen for that.

Just now, Gordo said:

Not sure what you mean by temporarily.   Maybe you're changing them in game from where you have them in the main options.  I agree that the interface initially is a bit weird.  But go into the options from the main screen and set the pitch/bat option the way you want so that they hold throughout each game.

The datafiles.txt simply manipulate the coded, established pitch / bat views (among other things).

I assume you want split screen to play 2 player games.  Yes, unfortunately no split screen for that.

I'll try to explain better hehe... According to you you can into the main menu and choose the preferred camera options for either pitching or batting, the problem is that I only have that option for batting. The pitching one isn't there... You know how to fix this? 

I try to edit the textfile but since it's a .big file it's all just a bunch of symbols and impossible to understand...

textfile.png

30 minutes ago, Gordo said:

Should be 11 options there.  Where did you get your game?

I'll post some screen shots on the options I have.

I don't remember, some shop here in Sweden a few years back. 

So as you can see on the first picture I have the option of batting and fielding, but not pitching... 

Any suggestion on how to fix this? Maybe through the datafile? Or if you or someone could send their original datafile?

Untitled 1.png

Untitled 2.png

Untitled 3.png

Untitloed 4.png

Oooooooh now I understood that the 6/4 meant pitching view 6 and batting view 4 :p Well never mind then guys! Thanks for the help!!!

But would it be possible to create a split screen setting or mod? Someone up for the challenge?

Yes, another MVP goof up in the menus, but you're right, batting view = batting and pitching.

As far as a split screen, you can't create what's not modded in the game, so there's no challenge.  There is a split screen for the HR derby, but it's a pretty lame game imo.

A split screen setting is not possible because the game only shows one view at a time.  You would have to modify the game executable file (mvp2005.exe) in order to add an additional view setting.  All of the mods on this site are created by changing data files (models, uniforms, audio, etc.) and not the executable file.

The camera settings can be tweaked by editing the datafile.txt file.  This file is embedded within the datafile.big file.  As you noticed, the datafile.big file is a binary file.  That's why you saw the strange characters.  You have to extract the datafile.txt from datafile.big and then uncompress it.  This can be done using the eazip utility, which is available in the downloads section.

To extract datafile.txt from datafile.big:  eazip -e datafile.big datafile.txt

To uncompress datafile.txt: eazip -u datafile.txt

You can then edit the datafile.txt file with a text editor.  Once you are done editing it, you need to compress the file:  eazip -c datafile.txt

At that point, you can reimport the datafile.txt file back into the datafile.big file:  eazip +a datafile.big datafile.txt

Alternatively, you can just copy the updated datafile.txt file to the data folder.  If the game finds a datafile.txt file in the data folder, it will override the file that is in the datafile.big file.  This makes it easy to test changes or try out other data files available here.  If you don't like it, just remove it from the data folder and the game will go back to using the one in the datafile.big file. 

Yeah thanks guys, no need for any tweaks with the datafile since I figured out how to choose camera for both batter and pitcher ^_^

And I understand the dilemma with split screen... such a shame they didn't think of that.

Consider this problem solved.

Archived