Installing Portraits ERROR (Total Classics 1987/1988)

dennisjames71

Hello All,

I have been attempting to update portraits for my Total Classics 1987 mod (which is based upon the the base of portraits from Total Classics 1988). Each time I use TiT to install my updated portraits; I am getting this error <see screenshot>.

What doesn't make sense is that I've been able to make portraits for this a few years back with no problems and this weird error is preventing me from updating the portraits.

I've tried installing my portraits on 2 different Win 7 PCs and a Windows 10 laptop with no luck.  

Does anyone know why this is happening?  I can upload my portrait.BIG file as well as some of my ZIPPED Portraits I made; if that would help.

Thanks in advance,
-DENNIS 

@tomk30816:  That's a good suggestion and I tried it and it didn't work.  What's strange is that I can use TiT successfully to install uniforms for example; but just not the portraits.

@kyleb:  Thanks for your response Kyle.  You know, I noticed having the same issue too in the last year.  In almost all variations of Total Classics or Total Conversion mods, I CAN successfully change portraits; but this TC 1987/1988 is just not working with TiT.   I also tried to import the portraits files with BigGUI and compress the file; but unfortunately my game crashes right after I "Click To Start".:mellow:

Hey bud have you tried editing on XP? I've never had any issues using it on there.

Also a bug or malware might be screwing up TiT - you should try running malwarebytes and restart your computer after see if that helps correct the issue.

Only other thing I can think of is something has been corrupted which is making TiT crash 

I know TiT is the recommended way of doing things, but if there's any way for you to extract the portrait.big file, you can examine the file for errors in the extractor tool of choice and then manually replace it in the data/frontend folder, if you so choose. It's risky and you should back up the old portraits.big, but it could pay off. Me, I just like to live dangerously and I use BigGui for all of that stuff.

3a5.jpg

@PizzaLove:  Thanks a ton, because you gave me a great idea.  There was indeed something corrupted and I came to the conclusion that it was the Portrait.BIG file.  

So what I did was extract the total contents from my TC 1987 Portrait.BIG file.  Then added a few of my newly created portraits (.fsh files) for Don Mattingly and Jay Buhner, and copied them into the extracted folder.

Then I grabbed a working/non-corrupted Portrait.BIG file from another game (TC 1998 for example) and replaced it into my 1987 game.  I zipped up my folder with the extracted portraits and was able to successfully install it with TiT. 

Now I can install new portraits all day long with no problems so far.   :D:D

Thanks all for everyone's input.

-DENNIS

Thank you also, BallFour...I ended up extracting my portrait.BIG file similar to what you suggested and it worked fine.

By the way,  thank you for your Phenomenal work on uniforms.  Taking up the task for creating Class-A uniforms is amazing and I enjoy your work!

-DENNIS

7 hours ago, dennisjames71 said:

By the way,  thank you for your Phenomenal work on uniforms.  Taking up the task for creating Class-A uniforms is amazing and I enjoy your work!

-DENNIS

Hey, happy to help with the unis. Glad you were able to figure things out with the portraits.

one thing you should consider doing is organizing your portraits the way I do it.  I have all of my portraits as bmp files and saved in a folder.  whenever i make changes to portraits, i replace my portraits.big file with a stock one.  I've noticed it minimizes the frequency that it gets corrupted.  Tit works great on xp, so it's all done on the xp machine.

5 hours ago, Homer said:

one thing you should consider doing is organizing your portraits the way I do it.  I have all of my portraits as bmp files and saved in a folder.  whenever i make changes to portraits, i replace my portraits.big file with a stock one.  I've noticed it minimizes the frequency that it gets corrupted.  Tit works great on xp, so it's all done on the xp machine.

That's an excellent idea and thank you.  I've actually been compiling my portraits from mostly 1987 Topps baseball cards team-by-team and saving them as BMP files as you suggested.  Using the stock portraits.BIG file would be a better source to install the portraits going forward and I will do that with one large ZIP file when I am done creating them.

-DENNIS

On Saturday, June 17, 2017 at 6:04 PM, dennisjames71 said:

@PizzaLove:  Thanks a ton, because you gave me a great idea.  There was indeed something corrupted and I came to the conclusion that it was the Portrait.BIG file.  

So what I did was extract the total contents from my TC 1987 Portrait.BIG file.  Then added a few of my newly created portraits (.fsh files) for Don Mattingly and Jay Buhner, and copied them into the extracted folder.

Then I grabbed a working/non-corrupted Portrait.BIG file from another game (TC 1998 for example) and replaced it into my 1987 game.  I zipped up my folder with the extracted portraits and was able to successfully install it with TiT. 

Now I can install new portraits all day long with no problems so far.   :D:D

Thanks all for everyone's input.

-DENNIS

Thank you also, BallFour...I ended up extracting my portrait.BIG file similar to what you suggested and it worked fine.

-DENNIS

Anytime Bud :)  my pleasure to help in anyway - Just happy you got the problem corrected and everything is all good now!

Archived