Trying to figure out options for playing Total Classics

tinpanalley

I'm going to risk getting my butt kicked here but I have read everything about how to supposedly run MVP2005 today and I'm slightly confused but also feeling like from what I've read, it's not possible unless you have a computer running Windows XP or 7.

So my questions are...
1. Is there ANY way to install Windows XP or 7 on an external HDD (or internal) and run MVP from that.
2. Is there any kind of PC emulator like DOSBox but for newer systems from where I could run the game?

Of course, I understand that Windows 10 is out of the question but the questions I asked are unclear to me.

Thank you!

6 minutes ago, stealth2920 said:

I am probably not understanding the question but I have Win 10 on my computer and Win 7 on another SSD (internal).  I dual boot.  The only time I boot to Win 7 is to play MVP2005.  I have been able to get it to run on Win 10 but it has terrible micro stutter.

Well that's essentially my question.
What you're saying is that you simply installed 7 to an internal HDD, and then you instruct Windows to pick a HDD when you boot? Is that what you did?

I did what stealth did, but from what I've read, if you already have Windows 10 installed on your internal HDD, you cannot then install Windows  7 to a partition of that HDD or to a separate HDD.  You have to have had W7 installed first, then can put in 10.  Someone please correct me though if I'm wrong.

According to this article, it can be done with having had W10 installed first:  http://www.pcworld.com/article/3050502/windows/you-can-dual-boot-windows-7-with-windows-10-but-theres-a-catch.html

This thread speaks to some of what I mean and I do have the EasyBCD installed on my PC, so I must have used it to allow me to choose what I want to boot to at start up (I have 2 separate internal HDDs):  http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3042629/dual-boot-windows-pre-installed-windows-machine.html

I feel like I'm even more confused now.
1. So if you have 10, but upgraded to it from a 7 machine, you're out of luck, is that correct? Because your original 7 has already expired? If that's so, I'm done I guess.
2. So, I can't just partition my main c drive SSD with 10 on it and place 7 on that partition. But if I install 7 on a completely different HDD and install it when the w drive isn't connected so the computer thinks the new one is the only one, then it will install 7 and when both are plugged in, I can go into boot selection to choose one?

Am I getting you guys correctly? I have no idea what EasyBCD is so that's something else I'm going to have to look into.

I was reading this... http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7-to-usb-external-hard-drive-must-read/

I don't know if this will help.  but I had a Windows 7 install on my computer.  I removed the ssd from the computer and replaced it with a brand new one to install Windows 10.  I did this because I wanted to get that key registered to Windows 10 before the expiration date Microsoft originally had on upgrading to Windows 10 for free.  Of course after the fact, I've learned that you can still use a Windows 7 key to install Windows 10. But what it left me with was my original Windows 7 install on a separate ssd than my Windows 10 install.  I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on my new ssd using the Windows 7 key. They both have worked just fine as I change out my ssds.  I still use the Windows 7 ssd and I have my Windows 10 ssd sitting by. I'm just not fully ready to use it full time yet for this computer, but will occasionally switch them out to make any changes I want to make on my install. I use a quick switch docking station like this one to change them out quickly so I can make changes to each:  https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Dual-Bay-Function-Tool-Free-FD2002/dp/B00N1KXE9K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1503720520&sr=8-3&keywords=drive+cloner

The point is I have both OS installs on separate drives and they work just fine for now. I can't promise that will be forever, as I intend to switch to Windows 10 full time at some point.

10 hours ago, Homer said:

The point is I have both OS installs on separate drives and they work just fine for now. I can't promise that will be forever, as I intend to switch to Windows 10 full time at some point.

I think the problem lies in using a key that is for an install of 10 that was an upgrade from 7. Reinstalling that 7 shouldn't technically be possible once it's become your 10 key. Someone elsewhere told me to try Virtualbox because MVP is unlikely to cause problems being played through a virtual environment.

I'm going to give a few virtual machine options a try that I've been reading about. I asked around about this on a tech forum I use. I think the hdd swap thing is probably perfectly fine and I wouldn't want system resources running a virtual linux or mac OS, but a 10 year old barebones Windows setup with nothing running but Direct X and MVP? That wouldn't drain on resources much more than running anything else today.

10 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

I think the problem lies in using a key that is for an install of 10 that was an upgrade from 7. Reinstalling that 7 shouldn't technically be possible once it's become your 10 key. Someone elsewhere told me to try Virtualbox because MVP is unlikely to cause problems being played through a virtual environment.

I think that's where you missed my point.  I already had 7 installed--I'm not reinstalling 7. Once 7 was installed,  I got a brand new ssd and used the 7 key to install 10 during the free upgrade period (they allow a fresh install on an upgrade). The logic behind that was to make sure I had a windows 10 key for this machine for when I was ready to switch to 10 full time.  You don't actually use keys to install 10 anymore.  Once your motherboard gets registered, you never need to have a key. The thing is, even though Microsoft said that the free upgrade period was over, they still allow you to use 7 keys to install 10.  

But honestly, having a separate xp machine is by far the best option as far as I'm concerned.  They are so cheap, and you can get a small one that takes up very little space. MVP just runs smoother on XP.

And if you're a golf fan, could run Tiger Woods 08 on that XP machine as well, but would want a pretty good graphics card for that game (nothing top of the line).  coursedownloads.net has literally 100s of "free" courses, but they do ask for a small donation fee (as little as $5) for higher levels of downloads....well worth it if you like golf games.

9 hours ago, Homer said:

I think that's where you missed my point.  I already had 7 installed--I'm not reinstalling 7. Once 7 was installed,  I got a brand new ssd and used the 7 key to install 10 during the free upgrade period (they allow a fresh install on an upgrade). The logic behind that was to make sure I had a windows 10 key for this machine for when I was ready to switch to 10 full time.  You don't actually use keys to install 10 anymore.  Once your motherboard gets registered, you never need to have a key. The thing is, even though Microsoft said that the free upgrade period was over, they still allow you to use 7 keys to install 10. 

I understand, but having upgraded this same desktop to 10 from the 7 it once had, I didn't do what you did by installing it to another drive, so I don't see how it helps me to consider something I can't go back in time and change?

I can't get another desktop just to run one or even two games. It's not just a space issue, it's a money issue, a practicality issue, etc. I have bought Windows 7 about 4 times for different installs I did at different times. I would rather try those in virtual machines or in a partition. I'm still not sure how that works but I'll look into it. It's fine to hear everyone talking about which one they use and how software X is the way to go but not having heard of ANY of them I have to take the time to actually look into each one and understand what it does. I can build a computer with my eyes closed but emulating OSes and partitioning for dual boots isn't something I've ever had to do.

8 hours ago, stealth2920 said:

I would either buy a Win 7 or Win XP software DVD and install on a separate disk.  With both disks in your computer you can simply dual boot.  On Ebay you can get a Win XP disk from $13 to $29.  I saw a Win 7 Pro Disk on Amazon for $63.

This to me seems like the most reasonable option. Of course, as long as I still have extra data and power cable connections in my desktop. Because I have a handful of HDDs not in use that could easily serve the purpose and I have a couple of Windows 7 keys I no longer use, even one version of 7 Professional complete with disk. That went on an old laptop once (that laptop is gone).

See if feasible on a friend/family member's computer before you go dishing out money for another set of disks.

Secondly, if you can't install W7 or XP since 10 is already installed, you're going to have to reformat, install 7 or XP and then 10 on a partition or alternate HDD.

Virtualbox, by the way, is a nightmare. Mouse cursor disappears causing you to power off your desktop because it's the only way to get control back, You have no control of any drives without adding them one by one which is fine but it involves installing more and more things that cause more bugs, then there's all this help online from other people getting those bugs, but in the end... just way too much effort for a game. I'm gonna go the hdd install route and see where that gets me. Plus, now with this second disc being shot, I'm nowhere anyway. Tried ripping a copy of it to iso and disc but it won't recognise that as original anyway, right? I'm not paying 60 bucks for this again 12 years later and that's the cheapest I'm seeing it.
Sigh...shame.

P.S. Anyone happen to know where I can get a copy of 2005 anymore?

It sounds like you're already searching for it and we couldn't tell you any additional places other than the customary (ebay, half.com, amazon).  Other than that, keep your eyes peeled on Craigslist, yard sales and occasionally, someone here will post a thread offering a deal.

Ok, I don't want to bore you with the details, but I have finally got Windows 7 running on an internal hdd (just connected to SATA right now during my tests), MVP finally installed, and running perfectly fine. I could have mentioned all the details but not being a tech forum I figured it wasn't relevant. Suffice it to say, what I had stored away was the last hdd that ran windows 7 that I had kept... just in case. And, well, there you go.
But now I have some finnicky details that I need help on.
1. I had forgotten this game is 4x3 and not 16x9. I imagine you just modify your monitor settings? There isn't some plugin fix for that is there?
2. Xbox 360 controller not responding correctly at all. This I had remembered from years ago. It doesn't take ANY of the controls I program in my profile. Is this a known issue that has a fix? Do I need to go buy a different controller to not have this problem?
3. For those of you that have multi HDD setups, how do I do this? I don't really have the room to keep the HDD in the desktop. Well, I guess I could move some components around. Is there a way to default boot to my SSD with Windows10 but activate a boot selection on startup of the computer?

Thanks for all the help today guys. Maybe some of you have answers for this other stuff.

1. You are correct. But there's really no "fix" per se.  It just stretches the image.

2. I don't know. Maybe someone else will. I had nothing but problems with controllers on 7 and newer, which is why I got the XP machine.

3. Go into Bios to set up the boot order. If you want to boot to the 7 drive, go in there and manually select it.  Depends on the motherboard you have, but most will have an option to select your boot drive each time you restart. Otherwise, if you're on 10, watch this: 

9 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

Ok, I don't want to bore you with the details, but I have finally got Windows 7 running on an internal hdd (just connected to SATA right now during my tests), MVP finally installed, and running perfectly fine. I could have mentioned all the details but not being a tech forum I figured it wasn't relevant. Suffice it to say, what I had stored away was the last hdd that ran windows 7 that I had kept... just in case. And, well, there you go.
But now I have some finnicky details that I need help on.
1. I had forgotten this game is 4x3 and not 16x9. I imagine you just modify your monitor settings? There isn't some plugin fix for that is there?
2. Xbox 360 controller not responding correctly at all. This I had remembered from years ago. It doesn't take ANY of the controls I program in my profile. Is this a known issue that has a fix? Do I need to go buy a different controller to not have this problem?
3. For those of you that have multi HDD setups, how do I do this? I don't really have the room to keep the HDD in the desktop. Well, I guess I could move some components around. Is there a way to default boot to my SSD with Windows10 but activate a boot selection on startup of the computer?

Thanks for all the help today guys. Maybe some of you have answers for this other stuff.

For your XBox controller, I used to know something because I was working with one as well. Eff. I think there might be an option on the back of the controller to switch it into a different mode or something like that, and then it's compatible with the XBox 360 controller profile available on default? I'm not home right now so I don't have the opportunity to check.

If all else fails, they sell Logitech F310s at Best Buy or online and that's been my go-to controller for a while. I'll take a look at my XBox one when I get home though.

9 hours ago, BallFour said:

If all else fails, they sell Logitech F310s at Best Buy or online and that's been my go-to controller for a while. I'll take a look at my XBox one when I get home though.

I used to have an F310 and got rid of it because I got the 360 controller to work. One of the few times I didn't keep something just in case. Of course, one of the games I really want to play doesn't work well with the 360. If you could let me know how you got it to work, I'd really appreciate it. I think several other people here would as well.

1 hour ago, Gordo said:

I personally think you're better off having a 6 button on the face controller.

Sorry, not familiar with what the buttons do, it's been years. What's the 6 for? And does the Logitech have that?
Oh, I just realised the F310 is no good for me. I have my PC also connected to my TV for gaming. With the F310 being wired, I won't be able to do that. Anyone know of a wireless controller that works with this game?

10 hours ago, Gordo said:

If you can still find one (fits the hands well for a man... not a kiddie gamepad). I have been using the wired P2500 for years..... it's a beast.   There are a few of those on eBay.

I seem to be able to get one of those or a wireless Logitech for very little on Amazon right now but since so many people seem able to get the config file working properly for the 360 controller I'm going to give that a go again first. I just can't accept that it works for some people but not for others, that's gotta be human error. Unfortunately the links Kraw shares are all dead from that total classics site. So those 360 vs MS files aren't something I can get my hands on.

Archived