Ratings calculators for player creation

tinpanalley

Just starting to make some new teams for myself and started using the ratings creator. Two things I don't get...
1. Why does it matter what level you select (MLB, AA, etc)
2. What if the stats I have to work with aren't as detailed as what the application asks? I just don't have the depth of Sabre stats for example. Will it work creating players?

I've played with that in the past.  Where it may be okay for a single player creation, it's too involved to do massive amounts of creation or updates.

I'm saying this while keeping in mind that Dylan made the best tools out there for this game.  I used the pitcher stamina calculator for the rosters I put together.  But keep in mind that creating attributes using the calculator would create a player into a bank of players that were most likely NOT created with this calculator.

This is why I came up with the charts that I did.  It's quick and easy and reflects the existing BA and SLG percentages.  I'm not saying you should use them over the calculator.  I'm just saying that it'll mix and match how attributes were derived.

The biggest one I had trouble with along the way were speed attributes, especially for lesser known and new players.  Now with the statcast stuff, it's a bit easier, though again a relative chart had to be made to make all things equal.  

But nothing is foolproof.

As a comparison, I threw Maikel Franco into Dylan's calculator.  Presently, with the interpolations I do via the charts I derived I have:

Con v L:60

Pwr v L;65

Con v R:65

Pwr v R:65

Spd:71

Discipline:5/15

==========================

From the calculator:

Con v L:55

Pwr v L;62

Con v R:66

Pwr v R:65

Spd:48

Discipline:8/15

===============================================

So take that as you will.  I don't think Franco is a 48 speed.  To me that would be the speed of catchers.  And an 8/15 for discipline making him of average discipline.  I watch a lot of Phillies games and Franco is not a disciplined guy at the plate.

We could certainly go on and on about what's the right thing to use, so you'll have to make your own judgement.

On at least two of my TC mods, I used Dylan's batting, fielding and pitching calculators to create all of the rosters.  While the results were great, and I did not have to tweak any player attributes after running sims with the rosters, it took a VERY long time to collect the information and put in the proper input format for the calculators.

To save having to enter all of the ratings into MVPEdit one player at a time, I ended up writing a conversion utility that took the output from Dylan's calculators and wrote it to the proper MVP2005 roster files (attrib.dat, pitcher.dat, etc.) in the proper format.

As I said, the the results were great, but it probably added a month or more to my roster development time.

I definitely need to look at your charts. Is that the pack of "Editing Guidelines" pdfs? And I can make all the ratings out of those pdfs?
Also, as far as using the calculator and ending up with one player made via calculator vs others made in a different method, I totally understand. A bit like mixing up two different slider sets into one. In this case, however, I'd only be making all my players with one tool. I have about 6 teams to make.

1 minute ago, Jim825 said:

To save having to enter all of the ratings into MVPEdit one player at a time, I ended up writing a conversion utility that took the output from Dylan's calculators and wrote it to the proper MVP2005 roster files (attrib.dat, pitcher.dat, etc.) in the proper format.

Well, that sounds very cool. I was just gonna do it by hand, since it wouldn't even have occurred to me to make an application like that.

6 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

Well, that sounds very cool. I was just gonna do it by hand, since it wouldn't even have occurred to me to make an application like that.

I'm a Software Engineer in my day job, so it was easy for me to design and write a utility to do what i wanted.

33 minutes ago, Jim825 said:

I'm a Software Engineer in my day job, so it was easy for me to design and write a utility to do what i wanted.

Sweet! In any event, if it's just time consuming, I can just do it the "manual way". I just don't understand why there are different level options like MLB, AAA, AA, etc. What does that factor into the ratings? And as I had asked before, does anyone have any ideas for what to do if I don't have all the kinds of stats you need to punch in?

Yes..... for pitching control, basically I started going by WHIP.  I give the rating to the most frequent pitch used and then I generally reduce by about 10-13 points for each other pitch used less frequently.  After all, curve balls are not supposed to be easy to throw!

I think what I did was I looked at WHIP for the past 3-5 seasons, if a pitcher pitched that long.

WHIP to Control MVP.xls

Archived