Experienced Modder New to MVP Mods

trey31

Hi all. My name is Robert Paulson trey31. I have some modding experience (Dying Light - Bear Arms Mod - 22 New Weapons) and too many Madden 08 mods to list, but most recently (Madden NFL 08 - HD Players Mod).

I'm interested in modding 2K12 but don't really know where to start. Can anyone link me to threads relevant to any modding utilities that are specific to the 2K games? Has anyone modded 3D models/meshes or cyberfaces in 2K12? Is there a way to edit non-USER team roster moves or tweak player attributes globally? 

Welcome aboard!

The game's a bit long in the tooth (2012) so a lot of the tutorials and links to find the tools are a bit outdated. A lot of the tutorials and tools we use to manipulate MLB2K are deviations of what the NBA2K community has made for their basketball games.

We don't have a unique tool that we can call our own other than a roster editor that was created over the course of the 2012-2013 season.

I think you'll find over time that we have a shit ton of graphic/visual fx talent but not that many programmers/coders.

Browse the MLB 2K12 forums and you're bound to find some creative work. 

Here's a link to the NBA2K tutorials that might point you in the right direction: http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=92709

2 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

Welcome aboard!

The game's a bit long in the tooth (2012) so a lot of the tutorials and links to find the tools are a bit outdated. A lot of the tutorials and tools we use to manipulate MLB2K are deviations of what the NBA2K community has made for their basketball games.

We don't have a unique tool that we can call our own other than a roster editor that was created over the course of the 2012-2013 season.

I think you'll find over time that we have a shit ton of graphic/visual fx talent but not that many programmers/coders.

Browse the MLB 2K12 forums and you're bound to find some creative work. 

Here's a link to the NBA2K tutorials that might point you in the right direction: http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=92709

Wow no kidding? I sifted through 2K17's files last year and dug through some of the blender tutorials when I was looking at gregkwaste's work. Does most everything for NBA 2K modding translate to MLB 2K? Same file structures, mesh importing/exporting, etc? I've been modding model geometry recently so that's actually one of the reasons I was looking at 2K12.

I gotta say though, the models in 2K12 are vastly superior to Madden 08 models. I'm not sure what I'd be able to improve upon? Madden 99-08 [01-12 PS2/XBox] models were created using Imagine 3.0-3.3 software from 1994-1995 so they're easy to tweak and see instant (positive) results for.

2K12 has far superior geometry that appears to change dynamically during animations (wrinkles in the pants during the swing animation is most noticeable to me). The biggest issue I've seen is somewhat generic-looking faces and skin tones; some of them look really dated imo.

I've got some digging around to do it looks like. Thank you for the welcome and the info!

1 hour ago, trey31 said:

Wow no kidding? I sifted through 2K17's files last year and dug through some of the blender tutorials when I was looking at gregkwaste's work. Does most everything for NBA 2K modding translate to MLB 2K? Same file structures, mesh importing/exporting, etc? I've been modding model geometry recently so that's actually one of the reasons I was looking at 2K12.

I gotta say though, the models in 2K12 are vastly superior to Madden 08 models. I'm not sure what I'd be able to improve upon? Madden 99-08 [01-12 PS2/XBox] models were created using Imagine 3.0-3.3 software from 1994-1995 so they're easy to tweak and see instant (positive) results for.

2K12 has far superior geometry that appears to change dynamically during animations (wrinkles in the pants during the swing animation is most noticeable to me). The biggest issue I've seen is somewhat generic-looking faces and skin tones; some of them look really dated imo.

I've got some digging around to do it looks like. Thank you for the welcome and the info!

You sound pretty technical.

A lot of the methods for modding the 2K games up to NBA 2K14 (they moved to an entirely new engine for the series afterward) translate well to MLB 2K12. Some parts do not, but that's probably because the teams decided to use separate methods for rendering, I guess. I think there's a tutorial on the NBA-Live.com site on how to manipulate 3D models using Blender and hex edits, but I never really dabbled much on that. I'm more of a texture guy.

Speaking of, this game is texture heavy. It does not have built in occlusion for shadows, so to overcome this technical shortcoming, there are wrinkle textures that the game layers over the uniforms to create depth with the animations. The skin tones are textures, and there are textures for bump mapping and reflections as well. I think that applies to a lot of textures in the game.

Best of luck in your journey!

I love the idea of updated HD skin textures. You will find them in the global.iff as well. The bats, gear, generic umpire faces and a bunch of other textures are in there. You will need an Nvidia plugin to open .dds files in Photoshop though. You'll figure it out. Good luck and have fun!

Archived