7 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

Oh sure, but if I understand correctly, tools and mods (though few) did come after as well, so I thought maybe somebody had developed a way to do this. In the PC NHL Series, modders have ways of moving things around all over the place in those games and it's usually because the games are actually quite easy to modify and toy with. So, just thought by now, with the love for the game, someone would have figured that out. That's all. No big deal. Not gonna stop me from playing a season with 2004.

Yeah, I am not too worried about this either. Maybe there is a way to move them but right now I don't know of one.

8 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

And in most cases, would you say High Heat's Classic rosters can be used in a Season mode to have a fun league with teams from history?

Yes I would and I am mad at myself for not thinking of that. :D

31 minutes ago, Yankee4Life said:

Yeah, I am not too worried about this either. Maybe there is a way to move them but right now I don't know of one.

Yes I would and I am mad at myself for not thinking of that. :D

It's never occurred to you?! That surprises me. I have this dream of one day putting my top 8 Jays teams into a playoff and playing it out in MVP or something. But I've also always had this dream of playing a full 162 game season with a league filled with some of the greatest teams of all time. Would be so fun to play that out. I imagine if there's no contemporary roster, HH could probably do that in 2002 where there are so many rosters of classic teams. Somebody once told me to do that with OOTP but I just don't get the same fun from OOTP as I do from sim games you actively play out yourself like HH, MVP, etc.

22 minutes ago, Yankee4Life said:

Well I used the classic rosters to play individual games but I never started a season or had a fantasy draft with them. It would have been fun. Now I can try this out.

There may be hiccups along the way (number of players on rosters, uneven lineups, etc) but it should be doable if all teams are filled in.

It seems to me that older games also had more tools available to mod them. More roster and graphic editors at least. Just look at how hard it is to mod some parts of the 2K series that it even requires a paid editor.

1 hour ago, sabugo said:

It seems to me that older games also had more tools available to mod them. More roster and graphic editors at least. Just look at how hard it is to mod some parts of the 2K series that it even requires a paid editor.

Older games were also a lot more involved too. At least that is how you can describe High Heat.

1 hour ago, sabugo said:

It's not so much that the older games have more tools as such, it's that being written in code that's easier to reverse engineer made them take less effort to get into and for modders to play around with. 2K were essentially porting over their console game and so it wasn't really made in an easy way to crack open. By the time MVP 2005 came along, getting into EA Sports games had become pretty well known about in the modding community particularly with the NHL series.
Not related to the discussion or thread, but worth mentioning: the fact that there is a paid editor for the 2K series is, I'm sorry if this bothers anyone, but in my opinion just flat out arrogant. If that person really cared about the community they'd open up the editor to everyone. It's not like they're some Hollywood studio missing out on millions in sales by leaving it free. AT most you'd have a few dozen people who would bother downloading it. What good is it doing, locked on some harddrive not being used by anyone? Sorry, but I have a massive pet peeve with modders who invent editors and then charge for them. Just my opinion. And I'm part of several sports modding communities and I've never seen this. Yes, I know the argument about developing software, how hard it is, etc etc. Then don't offer it. Do it for yourself. Can you imagine if everyone around here, just with these baseball games, started charging for HHEditor and MVPEdit, and TiT? The community wouldn't exist. Period. Anyway, just how I feel.

30 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

Not related to the discussion or thread, but worth mentioning: the fact that there is a paid editor for the 2K series is, I'm sorry if this bothers anyone, but in my opinion just flat out arrogant. If that person really cared about the community they'd open up the editor to everyone. It's not like they're some Hollywood studio missing out on millions in sales by leaving it free. AT most you'd have a few dozen people who would bother downloading it. What good is it doing, locked on some harddrive not being used by anyone? Sorry, but I have a massive pet peeve with modders who invent editors and then charge for them. Just my opinion. And I'm part of several sports modding communities and I've never seen this. Yes, I know the argument about developing software, how hard it is, etc etc. Then don't offer it. Do it for yourself. Can you imagine if everyone around here, just with these baseball games, started charging for HHEditor and MVPEdit, and TiT? The community wouldn't exist. Period. Anyway, just how I feel.

What is also just as bad is that the guy who makes this editor for the 2k game is very hard to get in touch with. At least that is what I've gathered from posts I have read in the forums. That makes it twice as hard. If you actually want to buy it or get support for it you'll have better luck getting Mr. Wonderful himself, Derek Jeter on the phone or maybe even the Secretary of State. You know, someone easy like that.

We have had people in the past charge for their mods and it didn't go over so well. I can immediately think of two who did this.

By the way do you know the story behind the TiT program that Krawitham is so famous for? There was this new guy in the forums that quickly had acquired the reputation of not listening to the help that was given to him and would therefore ask the same stuff over and over. One day he was wondering if there wasn't a tool or something that would make it easy to install things. When Kraw read that he thought it was a good idea and he came up with the installer thingy and then later on it became the Total Installer Thingy. And that was always free. And the guy who asked that question? It was someone named compmaniac, who ended up making some good utilities himself.

I get that he decided to charge for it. He saw a void in the market and created a product to fill that void. Supply and demand, pure and simple. If that's right or wrong, that's another matter.

It makes sense what @tinpanalley said, older games were easier to access. 2K series have been around for almost a decade, and besides the editor that we were discussing, there isn't any other tool that can accomplish so much. Maybe it was really that hard to create that he needed to charge people, who knows. I have some computer knowledge and I have absolutely no idea as to one would go about creating such a program.

Again, it's been almost a decade and there is one such editor, which apparently is pretty hard to buy as well.

12 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

Does anyone happen to know if there were ever any mods for the Tony La Russa series? I know that Old Time is essentially an official mod of it but I meant if years later there were any updates to teams, stadiums, rosters etc.

No, only seasons. For some reason they were called "universes" in Tony Larussa 3 but they were actually seasons. I have seasons for Tony 2 and 3 somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tinpanalley said:

High Heat 2002 mods

Has anyone had any problems opening the Cooperstown Collection in the recently uploaded roster files? The game tells me it can't open that .sea file.

I got a couple of things I got to do in the next few days but I will be sure to check out this roster for you.

9 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

Thanks, man. If anyone else can try booting it up, that would be great too.

I had some time this morning and I got into HH '02. I was able to get into the Cooperstown rosters. Go over again the instructions in the .DOC file again but I am pretty sure you already did that.

2 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

I had some time this morning and I got into HH '02. I was able to get into the Cooperstown rosters. Go over again the instructions in the .DOC file again but I am pretty sure you already did that.

I'll have to try it again then. I don't get it.

Just to be sure, I'm talking about the one called "CooperstwnClass"

1 hour ago, Yankee4Life said:

It is this one right here.

Yup, ok, problem solved. I had changed the folder name for the files. Didn't know you couldn't do that. Unfortunately, then I found it wasn't a single year for each team but rather a "best of" on each time. Kinda hate those, unfortunately. I don't mind the 27 Yankees playing the 48 Braves but I don't want to see Ted Williams and David Ortiz on the same lineup.

2 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

Yup, ok, problem solved. I had changed the folder name for the files. Didn't know you couldn't do that. Unfortunately, then I found it wasn't a single year for each team but rather a "best of" on each time. Kinda hate those, unfortunately. I don't mind the 27 Yankees playing the 48 Braves but I don't want to see Ted Williams and David Ortiz on the same lineup.

Glad you got it worked out man!

And by the way I don't want to see David Ortiz at all. He sure as hell doesn't belong in a lineup with Ted Williams.

Archived