Kccitystar

MLB Gameday Thread

It's DAY 1 of the MLB season, gang.

We've got a handful of games today, and I wanted to make a thread where we can talk baseball all season long with play by play:

Here's a guide to Opening Day:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-2018-opening-day-games-and-schedule-guide/c-269482334

First and foremost if you are a new fan, or you're getting back into the swing of things (pun intended) after the offseason, you must remember the golden rule: you don't really need to watch every game. Many football fans, and even some basketball and hockey fans, find this to be a challenge. They're used to setting aside a few nights a week to watch their team, and they can watch all the games. Baseball isn't like that. For the next six months, your team will only have 21 days where they won't be playing a game. And some of the games they play will start as early as 11am, others will end after 1am. If you miss a game it's okay, odds are there's another one tomorrow. If you miss a week, no big deal, hell if you get busy for a few months and aren't able to watch your team, that's not an issue, because you can still follow your team.

Which reminds me. Baseball is a game to be followed. In the old days, probably with your dad, it meant picking up the morning paper and checking the box scores. Now it means being able to have a final score texted/tweeted/messaged/emailed/what-evered to you the minute the game ends, or rolling over in bed when you can't sleep and grabbing your phone to check the West Coast scores. It means being able to check ESPN in the morning to see any breaking news from across the league, or catch a story you missed. We live in a time where you can go to MLB.com and get a recap of every game from last night in less than 10 minutes. Honestly, baseball was made to be consumed, and the technology age makes it easier than ever, whether you want to spend hours every day pouring over stats and analysis, or 15 seconds to see how your team and their playoff rivals did today.

There's lots of good stories and matchups today to start the season.

giphy.gif

That said, let's PLAY BALL!

Great idea and let's keep this going. :)

The TIgers game in Detroit has already been cancelled. The first game on the slate today is the Cubs at Miami at 12:40 EST. Then the Mets soon after. I want to see if they play that one.

MLB TV is ready for a season's-long love affair.

Yankees in Toronto at 3:37 p.m. I am not saying a word until Gary Sanchez has his first passed ball. That should happen by the third inning. Then all bets are off.

Got to leave right now, going to go and get a sandwich so I can be ready for the games. Ham, cheese, tomato, light mayo. You can't go wrong.

My guess is we are going to see at least 3 leadoff homers today:

• Chris Davis
  • Ian Happ
  • Brett Gardner

35 minutes ago, Yankee4Life said:

Great idea and let's keep this going. :)

The TIgers game in Detroit has already been cancelled. The first game on the slate today is the Cubs at Miami at 12:40 EST. Then the Mets soon after. I want to see if they play that one.

MLB TV is ready for a season's-long love affair.

Yankees in Toronto at 3:37 p.m. I am not saying a word until Gary Sanchez has his first passed ball. That should happen by the third inning. Then all bets are off.

Got to leave right now, going to go and get a sandwich so I can be ready for the games. Ham, cheese, tomato, light mayo. You can't go wrong.

Pick one up for me Y4L, but hold the mayo       :lol:

Washington / Cincinnati has also been postponed due to rain.

First home run of the 2018 season is Ian Happ from the Cubs!

Am I going to remember this guy by the end of September? Probably not.

5abd18fc1e512_Firstpitchof2018.thumb.jpg.ff891ce71edcb938871fc9395e568fa8.jpg

The first pitch of 2018. Jose Urena of the Miami Jeters pitches to the Cubs Ian Happ.

5abd194c3b79d_Firstpitchfirstrun.thumb.jpg.cf88436ed63f210c907f16250ccd6e98.jpg

Ian Happ homers on the first pitch. Jeter immediately fires an usher.

Is it just me or is the MLB.TV stream the highest quality I've seen since using the service? It's 60FPS levels of smooth.

3 hours ago, laroquece said:

My guess is we are going to see at least 3 leadoff homers today:

• Chris Davis
  • Ian Happ
  • Brett Gardner

Now I have to wait for Gardner and Davis 

Second leadoff homer of the day George Springer 

Gardner did get his home run. It just wasn't a leadoff one. ^_^

You see you guys? I was nice and calm.

Aaron Boone gets his first win as a manager as the Yankees win 6 - 1.

2018-03-29_190116.thumb.jpg.ed684ca6d08705dc081651480ac2cb2d.jpg

Lazy Bradley, Jr grounds out to end the game.  That team was winning 4 - 0 but the Rays scored six runs in the eighth to win 6 - 4!

2018-03-29_190400.thumb.jpg.7be65c82ae22accddb2143dd505918ae.jpg

Felipe Rivero pitching like Delin Betances here in Detroit. Meaning that he was wild and was walking everyone. Get lost, you're out of the game.

2018-03-30_165746.thumb.jpg.5e5fc08c44c5be67ea1628f149242c49.jpg

Man it has to be cold in Detroit.

2018-03-30_170042.thumb.jpg.49bb74c16845ddccb398a6380d25056d.jpg

Dixon Machado ties the game for the Tigers. 10 - 10 and we are going to the tenth inning.

2018-03-30_170149.thumb.jpg.9c2cf6e10f6258873ac9f4033ed79585.jpg

A little late here; but Friday night shaped up like this...Ootp 19 on the laptop, Yakees/Blue Jays on the PC monitor, MLB Network on the TV, and Rays/Red Sox on a Fire Tablet off to the side.

t0ScqY2.jpg

I don't think anyone on this site will ever question your dedication to The Game.

2 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

I don't think anyone on this site will ever question your dedication to The Game.

That's right, but all I want to know is why he was watching the Red Sox?

On the other hand, Ohtani allowed a home run with two men on base, and is losing the game 2x3 vs OAK

9 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

That's right, but all I want to know is why he was watching the Red Sox?

Lol!  The sole reason I was watching that game is that I wanted to see if the Rays were gonna wear their 20th Anniversary Throwback-ish uniforms; but I found out it was Saturday.  Of course I was rooting for the Rays (or any team playing the Red Sox) to win and win big.  

8 hours ago, dennisjames71 said:

Lol!  The sole reason I was watching that game is that I wanted to see if the Rays were gonna wear their 20th Anniversary Throwback-ish uniforms; but I found out it was Saturday.  Of course I was rooting for the Rays (or any team playing the Red Sox) to win and win big.  

good-answer-i-like-the-way-you-think.jpg

Didi with a 3 run shot bailed out Stanton from his lousy game. No worries.

11 minutes ago, Kccitystar said:

Didi with a 3 run shot bailed out Stanton from his lousy game. No worries.

Except from me. I worry about everything with this team. :D

5ac40c55bb579_Gregorius3runshotin7th.thumb.jpg.73b7a35beb640158668f647956af6563.jpg

Three-run home run by Didi in the 7th.

Gregorius.thumb.jpg.67e5c413cdfeb9ada2358f293e167898.jpg

It is freezing in New York but Gregorius is having a great day.

8 RBI's are the most for a shortstop in Yankees history.
Stanton must not be used to the cold or something. 5 K's must also be some kind of a record for a man with a contract like that. Still, the boos seemed a bit premature. We are only 5 games into the season.

16 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

Except from me. I worry about everything with this team. :D

I get it. I feel like even though one of our guys will have a cold night, there are 5 or 6 other guys in our lineup that are dangerous to the rest of the league :)

33 minutes ago, Kccitystar said:

I get it. I feel like even though one of our guys will have a cold night, there are 5 or 6 other guys in our lineup that are dangerous to the rest of the league :)

I agree with that.  Drury has been hitting the ball well and the two Tylers (Wade and Austin) have been contributing.  Right now, the Achilles heel seems to be the bullpen, however, I don't expect it to be like that all season.

I think when we manage to get everyone's arms stretched out we'll be fine.

Here is a nice sight. Giancarlo Stanton at the plate in the Bronx.

5ac80da672bbd_Stantonatbat.thumb.jpg.ef332951b564363a3c9e29acc7696d90.jpg

FYI: These images I upload in this thread can be seen in its full size if you click on it.

Tyler Austin.jpg

Thank you Tyler Austin!

Thoughts on last night's Yankee - Red Sox game.

Brock Holt did what he could and was successful in starting a fight with Tyler Austin, who was just sliding into second base.

What was that? Stanton and Sanchez getting hits in the same game? Come on.

Do the Red Sox really want to start a beanball war with the Yankees? Are they forgetting they have Adrolis Chapman in the bullpen? It's not like years ago when Pedro Martinez would hit all the Yankees he wanted to and Joe Torre wouldn't retaliate once. Get Chapman in there so he can fire a few 100 mph fastballs at Mookie Betts' head. Maybe that will wipe the smile off of his face once and for all.

You sucked as a player and you suck as a manager Joey Cora.

The Yankees will have more suspensions and fines than the Red Sox will get because that is how these things go.

3:59 to play this game.

I get that Holt felt like he had to say something after that slide - which didn't seem an intentional spiking to anyone. But turning that into a beaning is just a dick move by whoever decided it was warranted.

9 minutes ago, sabugo said:

I get that Holt felt like he had to say something after that slide - which didn't seem an intentional spiking to anyone. But turning that into a beaning is just a dick move by whoever decided it was warranted.

But this is how those people are. Boston loves to play the victim in everything. They've never done anything wrong at any time to anyone. They are always picked on.

On 4/12/2018 at 6:27 AM, Yankee4Life said:

You sucked as a player and you suck as a manager Joey Cora.

Should have said Alex Cora. No big deal though. One Cora is the same as the other one. They both sucked.

14 hours ago, Gordo said:

DJ owning the Nats .... love it

DJ who?

This guy:

.2.thumb.JPG.5055282117e49104d4d5d6fd1152e1ba.JPG

Tuned this into the Nats home broadcast after DJ hit his first HR and those tools talked about how he got the ball up in the jet stream.  They're such incredible homers when it comes to their broadcasts it's nauseating.

This season it seems like every game I watch either ends up 1-0 or with the Yankees getting badly beaten. 
I'm afraid to turn on the TV later tonight.

The lone exception was the Austin vs Kelley game.

See what the Yankees have done? This poor guy from Portugal just wants to watch baseball and these ***holes ruin it for him. I hate this team. :mad:

Aaron Hicks hit a two run inside-the-park home run in Detroit.

2018-04-13_193154.thumb.jpg.42233850a1a18137effd304c5ee0c718.jpg

As you can see the ball bounds away after hitting the wall.

2018-04-13_193216.thumb.jpg.9bc509ec637ec744dc4f137a2bf01b28.jpg

HIcks slides home safely.

Reds turn a double play to get out of a bases loaded no out jam to prevent the Cardinals from scoring.

2018-04-13_194749.thumb.jpg.4f9386b38ce0af9e94f45535207ac2dd.jpg