MLB Gameday Thread

Kccitystar

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Ritchie said:

Manaea pitching great.. will momentum carry over into late in the game to prove me wrong?

Yup. Another day, another come from behind win, another Sanchez extra basement hit and another triple play. Ho hum.  These Yankees are getting so predictable . . . ^_^

4 hours ago, Ritchie said:

Manaea pitching great.. will momentum carry over into late in the game to prove me wrong?

On 6/19/2021 at 2:10 PM, Ritchie said:

Glad I cancelled my subscription to MLB.TV - now I don't have to turn off these has-beens in the early to mid-game whenever they are losing as such is the case AGAIN today!!!!

This you? 🤣

5 hours ago, Gordo said:

Nationals.  Playing "Baby Shark". The whole crowd clapping sideways.  WTF has happened to baseball?

They are not clapping sideways. They are doing the shark bite motion. If you have little ones who watch the Baby Shark video, you would know why they are doing it. My older grandson has watched the video countless times, and even at 20 months old he knew when to clap that way. ^_^

In case you were unaware, a few years ago, Nationals’ outfielder Geraldo Parra used the song as his walkup music because he had young kids who loved it, and it became the unofficial anthem of the Nationals. 

9 minutes ago, Jim825 said:

They are not clapping sideways. They are doing the shark bite motion. If you have little ones who watch the Baby Shark video, you would know why they are doing it. My older grandson has watched the video countless times, and even at 20 months old he knew when to clap that way. ^_^

In case you were unaware, a few years ago, Nationals’ outfielder Geraldo Parra used the song as his walkup music because he had young kids who loved it, and it became the unofficial anthem of the Nationals. 

Oh man, I remember "Baby Shark". 

I think Parra randomly started using it as his walkup song in a June game to beat a slump, and it actually ended up being the team's rally song for the rest of the 2019 season because they turned it around in June that season to win it all

Whatever the reason/case may be .... yes, it's a great song for 2 and 3 year olds.  I just personally think it's idiotic and juvenile to involve it with a baseball game.  And to show you I'm not biased, this little wave the Phillies would do last year, which I think someone said it had to do with the Fortnite craze was one of the wimpiest looking celebrations a grown man can do.  That's just how I see it. 

Let me ask a rules / substitute question in light of the uniqueness of Ohtani.  So let's say he's a starter for a given day and versus another AL team, LA Angels have to then use someone else to DH.  If Ohtani is pulled, can he slip into the DH spot, almost like a double switch at that point?  And not that it would necessarily happen, but say he's DH for a given game, could he technically come in and relief pitch?

4 hours ago, Gordo said:

Whatever the reason/case may be .... yes, it's a great song for 2 and 3 year olds.  I just personally think it's idiotic and juvenile to involve it with a baseball game.  And to show you I'm not biased, this little wave the Phillies would do last year, which I think someone said it had to do with the Fortnite craze was one of the wimpiest looking celebrations a grown man can do.  That's just how I see it. 

Have you been to a Yankees game at Yankee Stadium?  If not, then you wouldn’t like it when the grounds crew comes out between innings (the 4th or 5th, I believe) to the sound of the song “YMCA” by the Village People.

They do their normal activities cleaning up the dirt in the infield but as soon as the song hits the main chorus, they will stop what they are doing and do the YMCA dance. They then finish cleaning up and march back off the field. 

Was never a big fan of the song.  But it is more "adult" fun oriented, so I get it.  Then again, I don't get the association with "Sweet Caroline" at a ball game ... don't see the connection. Plus, not a big Neil Diamond fan.

Now I could see playing "pop goes the weasel" when you get an opposing player out ... something like that.  

2 hours ago, Gordo said:

Let me ask a rules / substitute question in light of the uniqueness of Ohtani.  So let's say he's a starter for a given day and versus another AL team, LA Angels have to then use someone else to DH.  If Ohtani is pulled, can he slip into the DH spot, almost like a double switch at that point?  And not that it would necessarily happen, but say he's DH for a given game, could he technically come in and relief pitch?

Ah, this works in college baseball.

I only know of the NCAA rule for a P/DH where if the pitcher opts to bat for himself, he is treated as two separate positions (a pitcher and a designated hitter, so a P/DH on the lineup card), but that rule doesn't exist in MLB.

Yet.

I'm guessing currently it's all about appearance.  But technically, I would think that even if he's pulled from his pitching position, he would have to bat in the DH spot the next time it is up if they are wanting him to stay in.  Even with that, I assume he could be switched to an OF position if the Angels would want to keep whoever is DH'ing that particular game in that slot (say, for example, that other player has already gone 2/2 or 3/3 in the DH slot -- why take him out?)  I can't see how that would presently violate any subbing rules.

Seems like MLB would want the likes of Ohtani to both pitch and hit in an AL only game, since after all, in an AL vs NL game, he's do both, right?

47 minutes ago, Gordo said:

I'm guessing currently it's all about appearance.  But technically, I would think that even if he's pulled from his pitching position, he would have to bat in the DH spot the next time it is up if they are wanting him to stay in.  Even with that, I assume he could be switched to an OF position if the Angels would want to keep whoever is DH'ing that particular game in that slot (say, for example, that other player has already gone 2/2 or 3/3 in the DH slot -- why take him out?)  I can't see how that would presently violate any subbing rules.

Seems like MLB would want the likes of Ohtani to both pitch and hit in an AL only game, since after all, in an AL vs NL game, he's do both, right?

I think there's some confusion.

Ohtani doesn't hit in the DH slot in games where he's both hitting and pitching because MLB treats both the P/DH as one position rather than two like in NCAA ball where you can be removed as a pitcher but still hit as the DH. 

Home teams in the AL can decide whether to not use a DH in their lineup in favor of having the pitcher hit, which is what Maddon is doing with Ohtani on days that he starts in AL games.

If you look at Ohtani's last start, he was in the lineup as a pitcher, and they switched guys out as needed once he was out of the game.

33 minutes ago, Gordo said:

So basically, he has to declare we're not using a DH this game, and then manages the game as an NL manager?  So does the visiting team still get to use their DH?

Yep.

If you look at that game, the Tigers were still using their DH (Jonathan Schoop).

8 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

Yep.

If you look at that game, the Tigers were still using their DH (Jonathan Schoop).

I guess then technically, they can make a decision that if they pull him as a pitcher, they can stick him in RF, since the DH is forfeit that game.

10 hours ago, Gordo said:

I guess then technically, they can make a decision that if they pull him as a pitcher, they can stick him in RF, since the DH is forfeit that game.

I believe that's happened, but I don't think they've ever put him to pitch again after moving him to RF. The logic wouldn't make sense to do that, even though I'm sure it's possible within the framework of defensive substitutions

Man .... Girardi is really convinced Scherzer is using something and having him checked after every inning and then some.  This is gonna make for some bad blood.  Kind of welcoming this .... too much MLB kumbaya over the past few years.  I'll take this over Baaa-byyyy Shark shark shark shark shark, because .... baseball.

And there goes Girardi.