MLB Gameday Thread

Kccitystar

6 hours ago, stealth2920 said:

Totally lame excuse.  You have to listen to Richie say the Yankees suck everyday in here during every Yankee game.

That's different and you know it. When he says it he means it out of frustration for what he is seeing out of that team. When a Boston fan says it you can feel the hate. That's how they are.

2 hours ago, Gordo said:

God, this thread is quickly becoming forgettable and one to avoid, fast.

If you insist.

1 hour ago, Jim825 said:

Maybe I’ll setup a “Yankee Gripes & Complaints” thread.  That will reduce the traffic in this thread quite a bit . . . ^_^

Please don't. I don't think that would be fair. All it would take is a winning streak from them. Other teams have them so why can't they?

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, stealth2920 said:

Where are all the other team fans whining about their pathetic team?  Because they are not.  As I posted earlier my Rangers are 19 games behind the Astros.  When the Yankees are that far behind then you can snivel and whine.  The Yankees can easily still take the division.  85 games left.

If you were a Yankee fan would you be excited about this team? Plenty of promises and dreaming of titles but delivering little.

And here is another thing similar to that Phillie cowboy hat. I don't know what the Padres are thinking.

1666408405_Padreschain.thumb.jpg.89afbcb01026d9692d142f8544559c36.jpg

just checked my baseball app score and $3m Cole has given up another HR (2 this game) and trails 4 -0 in 1st inning.

@stealth2920 The Yankees can easily still take the division.  85 games left.

are you smoking wacky weed?    Yeah, right!!!

Edited by Ritchie

8 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

So what? You get better seats at home and you don't have a loudmouth Sox fan (s) screaming at you that the "Yankees suck" for nine innings. That happened to me when I was at Fenway Park.

I get it. Now there shouldn't be Yankee talk in here?

I don't even know where to begin with this because trying to give some of you guys at least some perspective is exhausting.

See, this is the thing. "Yankee talk" in this thread has devolved into toxic doom-posting, which already grew to be a problem in the chat box. It's precisely why collectively as admin staff we decided to pivot conversations to move into the gameday thread, but even that is growing to be a problem, because it's become apparent that it's slowly become a dumping ground for Yankee venting. Just facing some facts here: The team is not having a good season, and the general fanbase both inside and outside of this site don't know what to do except have hilariously awful reactionary takes about firing everyone on the team, or trading guys who are entering their prime years away that are playing poorly. Doing that would put the team in a "rebuilding" phase (which is funny enough long overdue, whether or not the fans want to believe it), and then, having lost a sense of perspective and patience, I'm willing to wager that those same fans will eventually whine and complain about the team not winning enough or fast enough with the young prospects they delude themselves into thinking that teams will willingly trade away.

If the team sucks this season, then it is what it is. As a fan, I don't have direct control over the outcome, but I'm aware that what I do have direct control over is the content I watch. If I don't find Yankees baseball to be entertaining, I either tune out of the game and check the box score later, or just watch another game/matchup that's on for that given day. Above all else at least for me it's good for my mental health and sanity and it doesn't make me any less of a fan for putting that first. Like most of us who follow our teams, we don't like to see the team lose, but I also don't like to be angry about things I don't have any control over. Having an MLB.TV membership has given me that luxury of being able to watch other games that I don't take for granted throughout the season.

6 hours ago, Gordo said:

Now, in the meantime ... let's get rid of this fucking awful "tradition", especially when you're losing.....

the-origin-story-behind-the-phillies-straw-hat-home-run-celebration-2.thumb.jpg.1781ce6c3275480c5f570352ae7590a1.jpg

I know every team has a thing, but what the hell is this 😂

38 minutes ago, stealth2920 said:

Where are all the other team fans whining about their pathetic team?  Because they are not.  As I posted earlier my Rangers are 19 games behind the Astros.  When the Yankees are that far behind then you can snivel and whine.  The Yankees can easily still take the division.  85 games left.

Don't say it Richie.  Yes Cole is having some issues already in the 1st inning.

Your hometown team sucks dude

No bitching, griping or calling out players today who have not played well. There is no point. I think by now everyone can see, if you can pardon the expression, the bloom is off the rose when you are talking about this particular squad making a statement when October rolls around. It’s just how it is and while I am not happy about it -believe me that is the mother of all understatements- the way they are playing has not affected anything else I have going on in my life. I’m not sitting in a room with the blinds closed moaning at the TV. It’s summertime and I am enjoying every day of it which means there are a lot of things to do and see. It’s fun being outside even if you are out on your back deck catching a nice breeze. And as far as I know no baseball team that I know can mess that up.

You know, I read articles like these that try to explain why one of our top pitching talent carries an 8.80 ERA in the minors and I realize that the Yankees have no idea how to develop players, specifically pitching talent in particular. It's usually down to the front office who all seem like smart people about everything except baseball. 

Honestly, I have to know, why the hell is Deivi trying to learn a slider? Why even tinker with his approach when he was very effective last season and earned himself an opener slot in the ALDS? Let's not kid ourselves, Deivi is never going to throw 98 with a hard slider. That's not who he is. From games I've seen, he's got potential to be a mid to back of the rotation guy with a good makeup and these goofy guys who are hardliners on analytics with pitching and how "the numbers show..." are setting him up to fail.

It's infuriating, and all I can say is that we'll watch him get traded and put up sub 3.00 ERA stretches on another team in a few years because they're not going to tinker with what got him called up the first time. I guarantee it. The player development in this organization is abysmal. Almost every young player tends to gets worse here.

That said, some notable games/matchups going on today:

Giants (DeSclafani) vs Dodgers (Bauer)
Cubs (Hendricks) vs Brewers (Peralta)
Twins (Maeda) vs White Sox (Giolito)
Phillies (Howard) vs Reds (Miley)

1 hour ago, Kccitystar said:

It's infuriating, and all I can say is that we'll watch him get traded and put up sub 3.00 ERA stretches on another team in a few years because they're not going to tinker with what got him called up the first time. I guarantee it. The player development in this organization is abysmal. Almost every young player tends to gets worse here.

That right there is the root of all their problems. They're trying to re-invent the wheel with these young players by turning them into something they are not instead of bringing out what they have and using it.

11 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

Here you go, for all of you Ohtani fans.

Ohtani.thumb.jpg.51d558d6fab6f358470b00ea63d71dc8.jpg

That's the face of a man who literally launched a missile into the seats in the first inning of the game.

Sidenote, I didn't like that pitch sequence from Michael King yesterday when I looked at it later on Baseball Savant. If you're working Ohtani outside the entire AB, you know he is going to turn on that inside pitch the minute he can read it off your hands, and because of the caliber of player Ohtani is, he is not going to miss that pitch. Boggles my mind why Sanchez would call that pitch.

I'll be at the stadium for Ohtani's start Wednesday and that should be fun, chicken tender buckets and all.

8 minutes ago, Yankee4Life said:

Because it's Sanchez. That should explain everything. :sad:

I'm of the belief that Sanchez probably thought King had a good feel for that pitch but I didn't like the location.

In any case, what are the odds we see Hoy Jun Park get a call up, or Trey Amburgey by the end of the month?

2 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

I'm of the belief that Sanchez probably thought King had a good feel for that pitch but I didn't like the location.

In any case, what are the odds we see Hoy Jun Park get a call up, or Trey Amburgey by the end of the month?

I’ve read good things about those two guys. It would be interesting to see what they can do, however, the Yankees will need to clear space on the 40 man roster for them. 

It sounds like you’ve been able to see a number of games in person which is nice. I’ll be at the stadium on Aug. 21st when the Twins are in town. My middle daughter gave me two tickets for the game for Father’s Day (section 112, infield box seats).  She and I make an annual trip to see a game in NY and missed our game last year. 

The next day, the whole family is going to see the Railriders when they come to town to play the Worcester Red Sox.  Worcester is the next  town over from us and I’ve heard good things about the new Triple-A park they built. My wife’s company is a corporate sponsor of the WooSox so she was able to get complimentary tickets for us. 

2 hours ago, Ritchie said:

Beautiful ball park WOOSOX Polar Park is but in Kelly Square where it is one area of travel that I have never liked. Peanut shaped intersection now.

I haven’t been through Kelly Square since it was reconfigured. It was always an adventure going through there when traffic was coming in every direction. Definitely not a place to be a meek driver. ^_^

10 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

399746761_AngelsdesignatedhitterShoheiOhtani.thumb.jpg.126120e9892f7dfc3494162a8e0bbb8d.jpg

Angels designated hitter Shohei Ohtani hits a home run during the fifth inning of an 11-5 loss to the New York Yankees on Tuesday June 29, 2021.

2099815452_LukeVoit.thumb.jpg.6a797fa7a7c3ed3e68fd63e8b0e522bd.jpg

Luke Voit makes a close play at first.

Shohei plays hard until the very last out, but I know for a fact we would have ruined him if he played for us

21 minutes ago, stealth2920 said:

He pitches tonight.  Can he DH also or do they not use a DH when he pitches?

I don't believe they use a DH when he is pitching.

25 minutes ago, Kccitystar said:

Shohei plays hard until the very last out, but I know for a fact we would have ruined him if he played for us

Yeah I agree. The Yankees would have tried to make him throw left-handed. :sad: