Set Up MVP for PC versus PC Games! (VIDEO)

Gordo

Hey guys, here's a video primer I threw together so you can set up any rosters/install for PC versus PC games.  Sorry for some of the audio quality as I got too close to the mic sometimes.  But this should spell out how to do this.  You'll need a good working copy of that great program, MVPedit.

Muchas gracias!

(you didn't know I was bilingual, did ya? ..... actually I have trouble being uni-lingual! :) )

I may do another/more tutorials for roster creation the way I do them ..... I can't do these forever!  Actually, it may scare people away from doing it !

I really enjoyed your video Gordo.  Excellent presentation and extremely informative.  Even though I've used MVPEdit numerous times; I learned some new things with this video.  With that being said, I have a dumb question for you and I just can't remember the answer from years ago....

So, If I am looking to do the reverse of your CPU vs CPU matchups and I want to globally increase the number of home runs; I can obviously increase contact/power (right & left) by + XX percent.  But what exactly does the "Home Run" value designate?  I know when I used DylanBardbury's excellent calculators, the Home Run value would be determined from the combination of power/contact values of each player.

So if I'm looking to globally increase the number of home runs in my mod; would increasing the contact/power values by say, +33%, also increase the Home Run value or do I have to arbitrarily set a higher Home Run value globally for all teams/players?  

P.S.  I looking to tweak some settings for my 1987 roster/mod and I'm not liking the relatively low number of home runs for that season while I'm simming and playing the actual games.

Thank you for any info since you and Jim are both the roster gurus.

DENNIS

Thanks for the kinds words....hope you are well man!

The answer to your question(s) are not simple to answer because  I don't think anyone really knows.  This is a trial and error kind of thing.  In MVPedit, the HR percentage thing is one of those areas that uses the 1-15 range.  I mean, what is that?  Technically, if you set a player's HR% to 15, then it stands to reason he should hit a HR 100% of the time?

Keep in mind too, simming games is not the same as the PC vs PC viewing games.  I've not actually run a PC vs. PC season. But let me do that and see what we get!

Here's a sample video of a PC to PC game using the above set up.  As you can see there can be plenty of power and action.  The framerate is not the greatest (can't wait until I can get a new rig!).   I did stupidly cut off the bottom of the screen, but it doesn't take away from the gameplay:

Not sure what happened to the game sound, but I definitely captured it with sound too.

(how do you embed from YouTube properly?  Shouldn't be this hard)

On 4/22/2018 at 10:46 AM, Gordo said:

Muchas gracias!

(you didn't know I was bilingual, did ya? ..... actually I have trouble being uni-lingual! :) )

I may do another/more tutorials for roster creation the way I do them ..... I can't do these forever!  Actually, it may scare people away from doing it !

Please do so, Gordo!  I would gladly oblige in taking over creating players to be added to the game when you retire.  I'm just not real sure in the steps to do so on certain things even though I've downloaded and read your editing guidelines (guess I'm just a more visual person and can comprehend better with video).

Again, thank you so much for all that you do, brother!

2 hours ago, bagwell4ever said:

Please do so, Gordo!  I would gladly oblige in taking over creating players to be added to the game when you retire.  I'm just not real sure in the steps to do so on certain things even though I've downloaded and read your editing guidelines (guess I'm just a more visual person and can comprehend better with video).

Again, thank you so much for all that you do, brother!

You got it man.  Would be glad to do it.  I'll start off with the basics of how I came to figure the contact and power numbers for the given players.

By the way, Dennis .... I just simmed an entire season with the latest PC v PC rosters, placed it on the MVP level (assuming the game would use the MVP sliders I have pre-set) and I got pretty good stats for league leaders.  I think the only stat that is really significantly low compared to leaders from last year is slugging.   Check these screen shots.

1.thumb.JPG.9f3fdec05a2ba998dc4b724637665599.JPG2.thumb.JPG.f4d6e59daeb07a00b915a6163fd8091d.JPG3.thumb.JPG.e7a9415d63bcae40ce518f7732bea038.JPG4.thumb.JPG.3e01884295196944c311694c151aa16b.JPG5.thumb.JPG.a9fff20cd2c49f0d28e69683e5aee1ee.JPG6.thumb.JPG.a901ad20fbf89af1a7303f55ec9e3498.JPG7.thumb.JPG.75a9db4b57d4902f9748e1ce319daf37.JPG8.thumb.JPG.86c6acf6fe2090fbfe6169d991741b4d.JPG9.thumb.JPG.5b6ebff49e526bbbdc4e28e44471b00a.JPG10.thumb.JPG.85c6c3749dcac06a6527fb7339af9487.JPG

Hey Gordo,

Those are great statistical results you got there with your roster settings/ratings and I always contend that your rosters are spot on.  I guess I was just concerned with the lack of power from many of the game I actually play such as with my 1987 mod.  Testing out the usual suspects; I usually will play with the Oakland A's to test out the power factor and had disappointing results.  After watching your video I did a global edit of my roster to provide +33% in R/L Power for all teams.  In a test game I played the Angels in Oakland.  McGwire and Canseco went a combined 0 for 10 with mostly flyouts, but some of them were fat pitches.  I had Tony Phillips hit a HR in the bottom of the 1st off Willie Fraser and later in the 6th Dave Parker hit a pretty convincing HR (distance wise).  It just felt that it was a "sure thing" HR if that makes any sense.  The issue is that I would have expected that from at least McGwire or Canseco too.

I left the Home Run numbers in MVPEdit alone because I agree with you that there never seemed to be a concrete definition of what the value represents and I didn't want to globally tweak that and have home runs flying out like crazy.  To be clear; are the value ranges of HOME RUN 0-15?  Or is it a percentile (like 60% or 95%)?

Also, I know a whole lot of this stems from both the datafile folder and the datafile.txt that sits in the DATA folder combination.  I stubbornly do not want change my datafile combination because I love the camera angles for pitching and hitting but I might be open to it if I can get better power results.  

Archived