BallFour's MVP Baseball 1998

BallFour

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mvp91 said:

What's the time frame for the release? 

I'll put it this way, and this is a true story. I have been working on this mod since 2007. I told Y4L that it was 7 years, but now that I'm getting old, all the years are starting to blend together. It's actually been 11 years. In that time, I've flunked out of college, worked three jobs, gone back to college while working three jobs, gotten a full time job in local TV and then have made my way up to a national network. I've been through three girlfriends in that time, more one night stands than I care to admit, one personal heath scare, my mother needing a double lung transplant and being on the waiting list for 6 years, my sister getting married and then having two, count 'em, two kids. I've been to several friends' weddings and can safely say that I've remembered over 50% of them. I'm actually going to another one in two weeks, so I'll let you know whether that percentage goes up or down. I've had five different cars in that time, starting with a Chevy Cavalier that was so effed electrically that when it got to be over 75F out, the windshield wipers and radio would shut off (god help you if it was hot AND rainy). I then upgraded to a Dodge Neon where the windows always froze from the inside in the winter. Then it was a truly shitty Oldsmobile Alero that I don't even know HOW I got to function for two years before it shit the bed. Then it was a Chevy Cruze lease, and I'm on my second lease now. In this process I've gone through 4 laptops, three desktops, and several different keyboards and mice.

I've "completed" this mod at least twice, but with crappier mods because I was just learning. I'm still learning, but my first release was complete garbage and my second release had a lot of bugs. Once I started actually getting, you know, GOOD at modding, it's just been slowly and correctly fixing everything so it looks like the best mod it can be. I've also taken detours to release a complete MLB uniform mod and have done similar for every single minor league uniform in MVP Baseball 2005, including a few fantasy uniforms and every single All-Star Game uniform. Not to toot my own friggin horn here, but can I get a motion to get into the MVPMods Hall of Fame here? 😛

So... long story short? Could be next month, could be next year, could be next decade. If you want any specific file (aside from rosters because I can't export a single team's roster), let me know and I'll send it off to you.

... Phew.

UPDATE: Almost done with AA rosters for the game. Because Single-A players are either draft picks or no names, I'm going to try to include as many players from the 1998 draft as possible. Just not sure if I should have Japanese league players in the minor leagues of their teams. For example, should Ichiro be on Seattle's Single-A team and Matsui on the Yankees Single-A team? I haven't really figured that out yet. Open to input.

AA rosters are done! I also learned something today, WOOT WOOT!

I was having an issue where some teams were crashing at the lineup select screen and MVPEdit was giving me an error saying that the NL lineups for a team were not complete (but upon checking, they were). Basically, in that situation, the team's pitcher spot isn't selected to bat 9th in an NL lineup. MVPEdit didn't let me fix things from there, so I opened up the roster.dat from the database folder. Just cross-referencing the team code and doing a search in the roster.dat gave me a list of the players on the team I was having an issue with. All you have to do is go down to the player labeled SP1 and change a couple of values so that he's scheduled as the 9th hitter in NL lineups vs. lefties and righties. Problem solved. Booyah.

In other news, I'll be starting Single-A rosters shortly. Gonna look over the current makeup of the Single-A teams in 1998, add all the future MLBers, and then saturate the rest of the team with draft picks that made it to the MLB. If there are any positions that are in dire need of being filled, I'll use accurate players.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a setback in my efforts with MVP 98. Basically, all the stadium info that I had has been wiped out. Kinda sucks, but I've got Yankee Stadium, Oriole Park, Angels Stadium, and the Ballpark in Arlington back up. And I'm 98% done with Bank One Ballpark. Busch Stadium is up next.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 12:00 AM, BallFour said:

Had a setback in my efforts with MVP 98. Basically, all the stadium info that I had has been wiped out. Kinda sucks, but I've got Yankee Stadium, Oriole Park, Angels Stadium, and the Ballpark in Arlington back up. And I'm 98% done with Bank One Ballpark. Busch Stadium is up next.

Nice!

• 3 weeks later...

Holy crap, BREAKTHROUGH!!!!!!

I finally figured out how to edit those pesky team audio files! It was just a matter of being able to listen to the music files after they get extracted from the .dat file. And now that I'm able to do that, I can actually edit team audio. I'll be posting a tutorial shortly, but this will help add some realism to the game.

If you figure it out, definitely let everyone know. Editing the audio files was never an issue. It was getting it to actually work in game that was the issue. Or maybe it was the stadium audio files I'm confusing.

I'll keep you posted when I work on it. I posted a text tutorial of the steps I did to extract everything, and I'll let you know how everything works once I do my first team tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed! I've got some professional audio equipment that enables me to save in a few different file formats, so maybe I'll have some luck.

5 hours ago, BallFour said:

Hmm, looks like you're right, Homer. Everything says it's modified, but the audio isn't showing up in the game. Dang. Guess that's gonna be the next problem to solve.

I'm struggling to remember, but I feel like someone once told me that the new team audio files had to be the exact same file size as the old team audio files. Not sure if that'll help you or not.

6 hours ago, kyleb said:

I'm struggling to remember, but I feel like someone once told me that the new team audio files had to be the exact same file size as the old team audio files. Not sure if that'll help you or not.

That does indeed help. But holy crap that's a pain in the ass.

Archived