Intro Videos and Screen Backgrounds Replacement

Fiebre

Hi, how can I replace the intro videos and the screen backgrounds in MPV?  I want to replace the current ones for some of older mods.

I think that the intro movies should be replaced in the data\frontend\movies folder but not sure and in the case of the scrrens I have no idea.

Thanks

You are correct about the location of the intro movies.  If you have new movies, just give them the same names as the ones in the folder and replace the existing ones.  I can't help, however, when it comes to creating the movies.

I can help with editing and replacing the screen images.  The images are found in the files in the data\frontend folder:

• Menu screen images are in bkgnds.big.  The following .fsh files in this file correspond to the following screens:
    • 03be.fsh - 1st Main Menu screen
    • 03bf.fsh - 2nd Main Menu screen
    • 03bg.fsh - 3rd Main Menu screen
    • 03bh.fsh - 4th Main Menu screen
    • 01be.fsh - 1st Game Mode screen
    • 29bd.fsh - 2nd Game Mode screen
    • 29be.fsh - 3rd Game Mode screen
    • 29bf.fsh - 4th Game Mode screen
    • 29bg.fsh - 5th Game Mode screen
    • 45bd.fsh - Manage Rosters screen
    • 58bd.fsh - Click To Start Screen
    • Other .fsh files correspond to other screens

• Loading screen images are in load0.big - load58.big and load99.big
  • The Splash screen image in splash.big
  • The License screen image is in sushared.big
  • Stadium select screen images are in stadiums.big

To edit the menu screen images, you would first extract the image you want to edit from bkgnds.big.  I use the eazip utility for this in a Command Prompt window.  For example, to extract the Click to Start Screen image, issue the following command:

eazip -e bkgnds.big 58bd.fsh

You then need to get the .bmp file inside the 58bd.fsh file.  For this, I use the nfshtool.exe utility.

nfshtool.exe 58bd.fsh

This will create a 58bd folder and inside of it will be a file named 0000.bmp and index.fsh.  The 0000.bmp file is the image you will want to change.

When you have replaced your 0000.bmp file with a new image, you go back to the data\frontend folder and run the nfshtool utility on the 58bd folder:

nfshtool 58bd\index.fsh

This will create a new 58bd.fsh file that contains your new image.  You then use the eazip utility to add the updated 58bd.fsh file back into bkgnds.big:

eazip +a bkgnds.big 58bd.fsh

You would follow the same procedure to edit the images in the other files.

I have a series of four batch files that I developed for loading screen development. They perform the following tasks:

1. Extract loading screens

This batch file uses the gfxpak utility to extract the .fsh file from each of the loading screen files (load0.fsh, load1.fsh, etc.).

2. Unpack loading screens

This batch file uses nfshtool to unpack each .fsh file and create the specific subfolder the contains the .bmp file and index.fsh file for each loading screen. After running this, I have 60 new folders (load0, load1, etc, and each one contains two files - 0000.bmp and index.fsh.  I then have to manually copy my new .bmp files into each of the folders, replacing 0000.bmp with my new image. This is still the tedious part of the process, but it is not too bad.

3. Pack loading screens

This batch file creates new .fsh files (load0.fsh, load1.fsh, etc.), by running nfshtool on the index.fsh file in each of the 60 new folders that were created.

4. Install loading screens

This batch file uses the eazip and gfxpak utilities to install each of the new .fsh files into the corresponding .big file (e.g. load0.fsh into load0.big, load1.fsh into load1.big, etc.).

Since there are 60 separate loading screens, I have some batch files I created to unpack and extract all of the images at once and then repack and replace them at once.  You still need to replace each .bmp file individually, but these tools save a lot of time with the packing and unpacking.

The attached .rar file contains the batch files as well as the eazip, gfxpak and nfshtool utilities.  It also includes a ReadMe file on how to use the batch files.

Hopefully this helps.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Loading_screen_tools.rar

Jim thanks a lot for your guide.

I have 2 doubts that I can't resolve by myself.

1)  I´ve been working with the bkgnds.big, until now I  but I have a problem with this instruction:

nfshtool 58bd

This will create a new 58bd.fsh file that contains your new image.  You then use the eazip utility to add the updated 58bd.fsh file back into bkgnds.big:

So if I have a folder named MVP Final which contain some folders, one is a folder named 29bd which contains the image I replaced  (0000 Bmp file) and the  index.fsh file.

My next command should be:

c:\MVP Final\29bd>nfshtool 29bd   or

c:\MVP Final>nfshtool 29bd 

None are working for me, so It's probably I' m not doing well

2) My other question, how can I know which fsh files are part of the  splash.big file?  I need that info to extract each one.

Thanks again!

You're right.  I made a mistake with that second nfshtool instruction.  You actually need to run the nfshtool command on the index.fsh file that is in your 29bd folder.  You can do it like this:

c:\MVP Final\29bd>nfshtool 29bd\index.fsh

or

1. copy nfshtool.exe to your 29bd folder
  2. cd c:\MVP Final\29bd
  3. nfshtool index.fsh

Either one of these methods will create the new 29bd.fsh file in your frontend folder.

As for your second question,  if you issue the eazip -l <xxx.big>, where <xxx.big> is the name of the .big file you care about, it will list the .fsh files included in the .big file.  Also, -l is the command to list the contents of a file, and the l is a lower case L.

eazip -l splash.big will list just one file, splash.fsh.

eazip -l sushared.big will list just one file, license.fsh

eazip -l bkgnds.big will list 107 different files.

If you wanted to extract all of the files from bkgnds.big, you could issue the command eazip -e bkgnds.big *.fsh.  If you later wanted to re-import all of those .fsh files back into bkgnds.big, you would issue the command eazip +a bkgnds.big *.fsh.

To list all of the possible eazip command options, issue the command eazip -?

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Archived