My Heads-Up for Madden 19 PC

dennisjames71

@LouisvilleLipp,@stealth2920: I wanted to give you guys and anyone interested a heads-up on Madden 19 PC. I bought it on release day (last Friday) and it's broken out of the box, a beta version, a sh*t show; whatever you want to call it.  I'm a open-minded and patient guy and I don't worry too much about the AI of the game, how good the CPU's LBs are or my passing game.  With a bit of practice and slider tweaks I can always get it going rather quickly to where it's enjoyable.  What I do take offense to (from EA) is that I expect a game that ships with basic functionality that works for a large variety of users, especially  with a port to PC game that hadn't been done in over 10 years. 

My issues are that I get a ridiculous amount audio and graphics stutter when playing the game and I've had to uninstall/re-install the game 3 times because it would not load/start from Origin. The audio stuttering is so bad I have to turn commentary volume to zero and crowd volume down to about 10 (out of 100).  The graphics stuttering is so bad that I have to play the game at 1080p rather than 1440p.  Allegedly this will be fixed with a patch maybe next week.  I'm gonna try and be positive about this because I think if that stuttering issue gets rectified; this game will run silky smooth and I will actually enjoy it.  Also, there's too much inconsistency with daytime lighting for 1:oo pm games:  I posted my screenshots on this Operation Sports  thread and you can see them halfway down.

I check the EA Sports  message boards  for Technical Issues daily to wait; but it's evident that this game was broken from the start and likely rushed out the door.  I have no clue why they would rush this game; I mean, they have NO competition.  This irritates me because I thought that getting Madden back on PC could more easily pave the way for a return of NHL and of course Baseball back to PC; that is, if Madden is successful.  The Madden team has no excuse; because their soccer franchise (FIFA) is phenomenal (IMO) on PC.  I buy that game every year and love it.  My gaming PC can run that game at Max settings and I can run other EA titles like Battlefield 1 and Star Wars Battlefront II at Ultra settings.  Madden and FIFA both use the Frostbite engine, so there's no excuse for them to screw this up.  

Even though many people are returning/refunding this game in large numbers; I'll try to be patient and hopefully a couple of patches will fix everything and all the problems can be a distant memory.  But it amazes me that these billion dollar monolith companies constantly trot out product that has not been viably beta tested over and over and over. Samsung's exploding phone batteries in 2016; game companies releasing beta versions and patching the hell out of it for months; or <name the car company>'s numerous recalls of their vehicles because they couldn't take the time to get it right the first time, all make the consumer lose confidence in anything they buy or invest in anymore.  <rant/review over>

Typical EA stuff.  This is why people still play 2K's ESPN NFL 2K5 with updated rosters.  It's just simply better gameplay.  It sucks that they never jumped into the PC arena back then.  Same with hockey.  Ardent hockey fans continually bring up the same problems over and over again about EA's hockey iterations.  Once again, 2K did it better as far back as 2K10, though, again unfortunately, no PC version like there was for baseball.  Sports gaming as a whole has sucked since exclusive deals.

1 hour ago, Gordo said:

Typical EA stuff.  This is why people still play 2K's ESPN NFL 2K5 with updated rosters.  It's just simply better gameplay.  It sucks that they never jumped into the PC arena back then.  Same with hockey.  Ardent hockey fans continually bring up the same problems over and over again about EA's hockey iterations.  Once again, 2K did it better as far back as 2K10, though, again unfortunately, no PC version like there was for baseball.  Sports gaming as a whole has sucked since exclusive deals.

Agreed Gordo.  And unfortunately part of the "typical EA stuff" is the disease called Ultimate Team (Madden Ultimate Team and Fifa Ultimate Team).  Unfortunately this disease rakes in now $800 million dollars annually. Let's let that sink in....$800 million dollars. This "pay to win" money waster disguised as a game mode is just another unhealthy way to gamble away <obviously> gobs of money every year.  When EA sports understands that people are throwing that kind of money at the screen to the tune of $800 million dollars and that people don't mind the $59.99 cover charge to be allowed to throw that money at the screen; well...I think it's all to easy to understand why EA Sports has little incentive to put out a polished and fairly bug-free product.

Think about it; If Madden is taking in a big chunk of $800 million dollars (shared with Fifa) each years PLUS they have exclusive rights to the NFL (no competition); what in the world would motivate them to actually make a quality, all-around game?  At least Fifa is less offensive because they do have competition with the PES line/Konami and I've been buying every Fifa since Fifa 11 and have NEVER had any issues with any of those releases.

Like I said, I'll give them a chance to make this right since I only ever play Exhibition or off-line Franchises/Seasons with Madden and I really could care less about MUT and online play.  If they can fix that stuttering nonsense with the audio/video, I'll have a product I might enjoy and not feel I tossed 60 bucks down the drain.

9 minutes ago, raidersbball20 said:

I continue to play Madden 08 for PC. The mods are ridiculous.

You are spot on.  You know what?  I played the current FF mod of Madden 08 last night with the HD-Fix, Custom crowds, and running the Calhoupe Madden Scripts and had a blast.  My headache I had dealing with researching solutions for Madden 19, magically went away; and I had fun playing a football game.

3 hours ago, raidersbball20 said:

Now that's a thought.   Are current rosters available and where?   And thanks Dennis James, for your in-depth review of Madden 19.  Might have second thought's on purchasing now.

1 hour ago, stealth2920 said:

I just crossed this game off my list until I hear how great it is.  If that ever happens.

Yeah, I hear you.  I definitely didn't want to be a buzzkill for the people like myself; who was excited for the return of NFL to the PC.  I think the game will be fine if the majority of the problems are fixed.  I just wanted to save some aggravation to other if they were perhaps expecting a Grade A product right out of the box.  Hopefully by the start of the regular season; this will be a non-beta product. 😄  

1 hour ago, raidersbball20 said:

The modding is amazing. Everyone should own Madden 08 and NHL 04 for PC.

I know the updating of NHL 04 is tremendous, but at the roots this game is still EA hockey.  There is not enough simulation at the core to save this game either.  NHL 2k10 with the proper sliders has been the best sim gameplay experience and you won't see an AI cheat along the way either.

5 hours ago, Gordo said:

I know the updating of NHL 04 is tremendous, but at the roots this game is still EA hockey.  There is not enough simulation at the core to save this game either.  NHL 2k10 with the proper sliders has been the best sim gameplay experience and you won't see an AI cheat along the way either.

But it's not on PC, unfortunately.

18 hours ago, Gordo said:

100% completely accurate. The mods for NHL04 are spectacular but I just don't see the depth other guys do. Conversely the community tends to think NHL09 is awful and actually it's fantastic. I'm talking PC here. But 2K10... another level.

On 8/16/2018 at 4:01 PM, raidersbball20 said:

Likewise. Just incredible. The ambience, the presentation, the rosters... amazing. I still prefer 2K5 but 08 is incredible. And a stats lover's dream.

17 hours ago, Gordo said:

Not to hijack the thread, but I had thought of trying out NHL 09 .... anyone make any rosters for them?  I don't really give a rats about uniforms, arenas, etc.

There used to be a czech site I think with mods for NHL 09. From what I remember there was so little stuff in english in there that I got bored and moved on to something else.

Archived