So, about a possible revival of MVP Baseball...

Kccitystar

Just like he mentioned it, big boy:

There's a glimmer of good news for baseball and/or video game fans who miss the "MVP Baseball" franchise: EA Sports executive vice president Cam Weber misses it too. 

In an interview with IGN this week, Weber was asked if he had a desire to get EA Sports back into the baseball market and possibly bring back the "MVP Baseball" franchise, he replied "the answer is yes."

"I would love to have a baseball game in our portfolio," Weber said. "It's something that once again, every couple years, we take a look and we talk about and theorize about what it might look like to get back into something like baseball."

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/it-sounds-like-ea-sports-is-hoping-to-bring-back-mvp-baseball-franchise/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/15/ea-sports-boss-mvp-baseball-could-return-someday-a-ign-unfiltered

Me:
giphy.gif

[pine grabbing intensifies]

Well KC this doesn't say much if you really stop and look at it.  Cam Weber did manage to say all the right things and at the same time said nothing at all. He said yes when asked if EA would go back in the baseball market and bring back Mvp baseball. Wonderful! Great! Perfect! etc, etc, etc. But does he say anywhere if this would be for PC? That's the first thing I noticed.

The second thing I noticed was when he said that they would "love to have a baseball game in their portfolio"  and that every couple of years they talk about what it might look like to get back into baseball. This right here is what really stuck out for me and not in a good way. It's like me saying every couple of years or so I look into the possibility of purchasing a boat but I never do because all it is is just talk.

I'm all for this game and I am all for EA making it because this means nothing but good things for this website. New mods, new modders, new possibilities, etc. But I will believe it when an actual announcement is made.

4 minutes ago, Kccitystar said:

I'd like to think that EA saw the sales of SMB2 and thought to themselves that there is in fact, a demand for an alternative to MLB The Show.

I'd hope so because I would love to see what you and Dennis James and all the other great modders would do with another version of Mvp. I can just imagine the possibilities.

Just now, scottybilly said:

The price for MLB licensing rights are probably well out of EA's comfort zone. At best, they will make a half-assed attempt at paying for licensing rights, or make a generic game without real players. 

Why the hell do they need this anyway? They did ok back when they had Triple Play and 3DO had High Heat out at the same time.

EA Sports is all about the Frostbite engine now (except for those who still play NHL in their previous engine that even they keep telling us is not as good) and I don't see how you mix what we love about MVP2005 with this new engine. It seems you'd have to ditch all those former mechanics and physics and the moment that goes, you'd lose the game we love. If MVP felt like Madden or NHL I'd hate it.

2 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

I don't even know what the Frostbite engine is.

It's the EA graphics engine and the newest version started being used in EA Sports games two years ago. It was supposed to revolutionise how their sports games looked (they always say that) and it's good but it isn't the mind blowing experience they've talked it up to be. The thing is, Madden only got it lat year, FIFA got it first, and NHL has yet to get it and that reluctance to add it to NHL has lots of people (myself included) thinking maybe it doesn't work well in all games. So I don't want "New MVP" to just be another excuse to sell the wonders of Frostbite when it hasn't really proven itself to make any massive changes to gameplay. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Some things to peruse..

https://forums.operationsports.com/features/2730/eas-frostbite-engine-what-is-it-why-you-should-care/

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/was-frostbite-engine-eas-biggest-mistake-1816340/

10 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

It's the EA graphics engine and the newest version started being used in EA Sports games two years ago. It was supposed to revolutionise how their sports games looked (they always say that) and it's good but it isn't the mind blowing experience they've talked it up to be. The thing is, Madden only got it lat year, FIFA got it first, and NHL has yet to get it and that reluctance to add it to NHL has lots of people (myself included) thinking maybe it doesn't work well in all games. So I don't want "New MVP" to just be another excuse to sell the wonders of Frostbite when it hasn't really proven itself to make any massive changes to gameplay. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Some things to peruse..

https://forums.operationsports.com/features/2730/eas-frostbite-engine-what-is-it-why-you-should-care/

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/was-frostbite-engine-eas-biggest-mistake-1816340/

Thank you. I will read about this today.

3 hours ago, LouisvilleLipp said:

Y4L, how was it their fault?   Just asking.

Well, they cornered baseball by throwing money at Selig and the first game they made (2k9) was something a group of high school kids could have done better at.

I very much doubt that EA would ever release a game with generic teams and players.
We're all getting a bit ahead of ourselves. A new game is, at best and if we want it done right, a couple of years away. 

My guess is we'll get people asking 'Where is MVP 20???' before the is an actual new game.

7 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

Well, they cornered baseball by throwing money at Selig and the first game they made (2k9) was something a group of high school kids could have done better at.

To be fair,  EA still made MVP 06 and 07, but college baseball does not sell as well as college football so they phased that team out.

Some guys left EA altogether and got into the entertainment business, or found better opportunities outside of EA in either freelancing or consulting work. Other guys within those teams were reassigned to other teams within EA, which is standard practice. The two major players that made MVP what it was are doing different things now:

Ben Brinkman, a production team member for the series left EA in 2006 after the success of MVP Baseball 2005 and 2K picked him up in time to try and rebuild their baseball franchise.
He was the production lead for MLB 2K7 and had pushed for a three year development plan under the development team at Kush Games. He left after MLB 2K8 and 2K ended up letting Visual Concepts take the lead on MLB 2K9, which is probably the worst rated 2K baseball game for a reason. He's now at Treyarch working on the Call of Duty series as a director for their multiplayer mode.

Brent Nielsen, a producer at EA who I consider the father of the MVP Baseball franchise, was reassigned to the NHL series by the time MLB 2K8 was released.  He's currently as of 2018 on the team that's working on the golf games.

He's still at EA, and in my opinion is likely the guy that if EA is serious about reviving baseball under their EA Sports brand,  they'll reach out to him to lead a team again. Before MVP, he was an associate producer for another baseball franchise EA had: Triple Play.

8 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

Which is exactly with EA did with the NFL, blowing the superior NFL 2K5 game up from having another chance to improve on it, which everyone is confident that they would have.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, Gordo said:

As long as they expand on the gameplay and animation, not totally rebuild it and it turn into some scripted piece of EA crap.

Yes, I'm available to do their rosters :)

If EA does it, there's a good chance it will be crap...

Love to see it though.

15 hours ago, Gordo said:

I think they'd be foolish not to use some of the great talent found right here.

I've said that for many years. It amazes me that people who mod games for free can do so much better than some of the guys who are paid for it. It's even more amazing that companies don't give these guys jobs. Are they even aware of what some of the guys in here are capable of?

39 minutes ago, sabugo said:

I've said that for many years. It amazes me that people who mod games for free can do so much better than some of the guys who are paid for it. It's even more amazing that companies don't give these guys jobs. Are they even aware of what some of the guys in here are capable of?

I know a few people who work for AAA game developers. With very few exceptions, most of them are just doing a gig in a place that will look good on the resume. I know two guys who have worked on the Assassin's Creed franchise who don't even like the series but "it's Ubisoft". And likewise, EA is EA. You don't say no when a company like that offers you a job. Companies like EA and Ubisoft fly in people from all over the world for their studios so competition is fierce. The point is, it's not bizarre for a game to be made by tons of people who simply don't care. Not because they hate baseball and wanna see the game suffer, but because they are never given even the slightest reason to think anything but their work matters. How they feel about the game is irrelevant. And the front office decides most things related to creative control anyway so people who REALLY want changes made get thwarted by what turnover and market trends say. When they say games are now bigger than Hollywood they don't just mean in terms of gross profits, they also mean in the massive and completely functional way the properties are produced.

23 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

To be fair,  EA still made MVP 06 and 07, but college baseball does not sell as well as college football so they phased that team out.

Yes, that's true but both were for the consoles and '07 was only for PS2. Where are we going with that?

23 hours ago, Gordo said:

Which is exactly with EA did with the NFL, blowing the superior NFL 2K5 game up from having another chance to improve on it, which everyone is confident that they would have.

Very true. EA shot themselves in the foot here. Now is this NFL 2k5 game you are talking about for the X box? If so, I got that game and I know exactly what you mean. It's fantastic and plays well even after all this time.

18 hours ago, Gordo said:

I think they'd be foolish not to use some of the great talent found right here.

They would be foolish. That's why they won't do it. 🙄

Archived