Hit by Pitches

Creaghorn

Hi, probably a stupid question. Will ask nonetheless.

There are too few HBP overall ingame. I noticed that the "contactpoints" of fielders are way more accurate than of batters. That means that a hit ball can touch the fielder about anywhere. Roll off the shoulder, richochet of his foot, get hit somewhere. Same goes for catchers and umpires on foultips. As a batter the pitched ball has to really hit the batter firmly to be a HBP. Often enough, on checkswings or inside breaking pitches etc. the thrown ball partially flies through the batter.

Would it be possible to adjust the contact points of the batter, to be as accurate as of the fielders? That would increase hit by pitches. Probably hardcoded, but there has been already done so much magic, so worth to ask.

Cheers

Sounds to me that this question can be answered by trying out different datafiles that we have on the site. The good news is that there are a lot to experiment with. People like Gordo, Jim825, Kumala and Joe Rudi26 come to mind but there are many others. Check out the Mvp 2005/datafile download area to see what I mean.

I have looked them through, haven't found anything which has this sort of tweak though. Would be cool to have those hit by pitches on the hand on checkswings etc., like it happens in real all the time. Or on the hands/arms overall. I guess hands/forearms are the main contactpoints missing. Tweaking them would actually be enough, if possible.

Thanks for replying.

It's been a while since I have looked at the details of the datafiles, however, I don't believe that the granularity of the file is such that you can specify where a batter gets hit.  I believe that you can only increase or decrease the frequency of players getting hit by pitches. 

Archived