Angel Stadium - The Protest Version...Looking for feedback

HaloFan

Would you be interested in a mod like this?  

52 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

This is not an assurance that I'm even going to work on this, just trying to get some feedback on if this would even be something that other people would want to use.

Anaheim Stadium is once again represented very poorly in MVP. I'm still debating whether or not I'll do any kind of modding with it, but if I do anything, I won't go for realism.

If I do make a mod this year, it will not include any reference to Los Angeles. The Los Angels Times ad will be removed, and replaced by something like Welcome to Anaheim, or an ad for The Orange County Register (Or Screw You Moreno, I'm in that kind of mood).

My alterations won't be intrusive (for instance I won't put stuff in the grass, or the dirt), nor will it be profane (unless I get even more angry than I already am). Mostly, it will be realistic looking ads that aren't the real ones, but close representations. I'd also incorporate the www.savetheanaheimangels.com website in there somewhere, maybe a Keep The Name The Same slogan, and stuff like that.

I'd have to base things on last year's ads anyway, as I don't plan to return to the stadium anytime soon (I won't give any money to that man while he holds my team hostage), so making a version that isn't 100% accurate was going to have to happen anyway.

Anyway, I would just like some opinions on this. Would you be interested in using this version of the stadium?

If you do want realism, I can understand and respect that decision, but you'll have to get it from somewhere else.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used your mod for 2004, but I've been coming to mvpmods.com for the past couple of years to get mods that are realistic and make up for the lack of effort on behalf of EA. That being said, I do agree with you for being upset for the Angels disowning the city of Anaheim, but I can't see many people using your proposed stadium in protest. As well, it's not much of a protest if it's internal. The people in the Angels office will not even hear of it, so why make a protest that only you are going to see?

I think I may not have conveyed properly what I'm thinking about doing.

I'm not making up fake compaines here or anything, nor would I be putting things where they shouldn't be and all that. Like I said, it's 99% going to look like what I did last year.

But how can I justify doing all these hours of work on something without expressing my feelings toward the situation? That's a question I have to answer, and I have. I mean jeez, I already quit my job with the team because of this, so it's not a question of doing it this way or the other way, this is it.

It's not about having people in the Angels office seeing it, they got my resignation letter already, so they know my feelings. It's about other baseball fans being informed about this insult, and hopefully stepping up to the plate and joining the cause.

Moreno's already made comments about leaving Anaheim, so I'm also trying to save the franchise's existence here.

You know what, if you make it, I think I will use it. I didn't know you worked for them and gave up your job in protest. That takes guts and courage. I admire that a lot. Go ahead and make it, and I'll use it. EA did a terrible job in it anyway -- it looks like complete and utter crap (the fountain, btw in the EA file, literally looks like crap...)

But out of curiosity, what was your position with the Angels?

I've been using your great Anahiem stadium mods since back in the High Heat days, and it's one of the stadium files I don't work on myself because of the incredible detail that you put into it.

Any chance of you doing both versions?

Vince

I've been using your great Anahiem stadium mods since back in the High Heat days, and it's one of the stadium files I don't work on myself because of the incredible detail that you put into it.

Any chance of you doing both versions?

Vince

Wow, nice to see you around, good to see the old HH modders still exist!

In this case, no there's not. I thought about removing the times ad last year, even before the rumors of the name change started, because I don't believe in it. I went for the realistic look because even though it disgusted me, it was just an ad.

Unfortunately, he decided to take the next step, and is trying to classify 3.5 million people as being residents of Los Angeles that aren't. That Times ad was one that Moreno persued, not the other way around. He did it to prepare the people of the hostile takeover of Orange County.

This is my idea to fight back. I need to save my team any way that I can.

BTW, here's a quick mockup of my idea, this isn't any work I've done on the game, I just took a screen shot from last season and did a rough estimate of what I have in mind:

ProtestA.jpg

Your Angel Stadium mods are the best, especially since I play MVP with them most of the time with the Angles. Having worked for the Orange County Register when I was younger, I have no problems with that ad. It looked great.

I eagerly await your work for 2K5. Thanks for your efforts.

OK, it does look like there's enough interest for me to do it.

Like I said before, there's no assurance that I will, and EA hasn't made it easy again, with the OEdit work having to be done differently for the day and night versions.

If I do go forward, I'll work on the night version first, because that's the one most of you would be playing there for anyway, and it would be a nice bookend with doing only the day version last year ;)

Fortunately, I did archive my artwork very well, so I won't have to re-do any of that (other than minor touchups). But OEdit is going to have to be done from scratch...again.

But we'll see, this is still a very tough thing for me to do, it's kind of like opening a wound, especially when I know I won't be at that stadium for a long time. Oh well, enough of that.

OK, it does look like there's enough interest for me to do it.

Like I said before, there's no assurance that I will, and EA hasn't made it easy again, with the OEdit work having to be done differently for the day and night versions.

If I do go forward, I'll work on the night version first, because that's the one most of you would be playing there for anyway, and it would be a nice bookend with doing only the day version last year ;)

Fortunately, I did archive my artwork very well, so I won't have to re-do any of that (other than minor touchups). But OEdit is going to have to be done from scratch...again.

But we'll see, this is still a very tough thing for me to do, it's kind of like opening a wound, especially when I know I won't be at that stadium for a long time. Oh well, enough of that.

I hope you do make it, Last Years was perfect!

i don't see how you can boycott a team that you have supported all of your life. i don't think I could ever boycott the reds. if they moved the team to Shaboygan or something, maybe, but not just because they changed the name. I don't care for Carl Lindner (Reds Managing Partner), but I have and will always love the Reds. I love the team because I love baseball and the players on the team.

I respect your decision and I respect anyone who can stand up for what they believe in, but I just couldn't let a big part of my life go like that. Remember the Reds firesale in 2003? I still went to the games and I always will.

As for the modding of the stadium, anything that you mod, I will use. You do good work and I'll look forward to it.

i don't see how you can boycott a team that you have supported all of your life. i don't think I could ever boycott the reds. if they moved the team to Shaboygan or something, maybe, but not just because they changed the name. I don't care for Carl Lindner (Reds Managing Partner), but I have and will always love the Reds. I love the team because I love baseball and the players on the team.

I respect your decision and I respect anyone who can stand up for what they believe in, but I just couldn't let a big part of my life go like that. Remember the Reds firesale in 2003? I still went to the games and I always will.

As for the modding of the stadium, anything that you mod, I will use. You do good work and I'll look forward to it.

And what if the said players came out and said they don't care about you and your support? What if the owner said he doesn't care about your support? What if the owner, in changing the name insults 3.5 million people, while also bringing down the quality of life in the community by putting the image of the area back 10-15 years?

A baseball team is NOTHING if it no longer represents the community that it plays in. The Angels went from a team that had a pure identity with the Anaheim and Orange County community, a team that was a part of the area, to a team that now only happens to play their games here. The people of Anaheim had to wait 30 years to see their name on the team, and here it is, 8 years later, and it's been stolen from them out of greed.

Beyond that, he's already begun to hint that he's going to move the team. He's referred to the stadium as "old" and has mentioned that other cities have contacted him about it. I'm supposed to give my hard earned money to this man, who not only insults me, but also says that my interests and community don't matter, and also threatens to move the team the first chance he gets?

Supporting the Angels now means I have to support this man. There is no way around it. Giving money to the Angels in any way means I'm giving him money. I can't do that. It's not a matter that I don't like him, it's the fact that he's destroying the thing that I love more than anything else in the world. See, my love was for the baseball team that represented Anaheim, California; that team no longer exists. All that's left is baseball's version of the Clippers.

But at least the Clippers actually play in Los Angeles (Although Sterling would have a more successful franchise if he would have moved to Anaheim). He's really turned the Angels into the Rams, a team that nobody in LA cared about because they played down in Anaheim, and nobody in Orange County cared about because they played for Los Angeles. He's established that the Angels are now L.A.'s second team, instead of being Orange County's top team. And what happened to the Rams, they moved to St. Louis because they had no fan support.

What he is doing is wrong, and he has to be stopped. That's why I quit my job with the organization after 7 years, and that's why I won't be going back to that stadium for a long time. Some things are more important than following your favorite team, like defending your community from attacks such as this.

It's all about winning. The Rams had lots of support in Anaheim until they started losing. I know, I was there. The Clippers have always been overshadowed by the Lakers because the Lakers had an exciting team that had a tradition of winning. Not so for the Clippers.

The Angels have had solid fan support in recent years because they have been an exciting team with fun players to watch and a great atmosphere at the "Big A", since the Stadium remodel, and they have been winning and in the Pennant race.

It really all comes down to the excitement and winning atmosphere that is created between the lines in Southern California. If a team isnt winning, interest will wain with the mentality out here. I have seen it for almost 40 years since I was a little kid. People out here have too many other options than to be associated with a losing team. It's just the way it has always been out here with so many entertainment options.

It's all about winning. The Rams had lots of support in Anaheim until they started losing. I know, I was there. The Clippers have always been overshadowed by the Lakers because the Lakers had an exciting team that had a tradition of winning. Not so for the Clippers.

The Angels have had solid fan support in recent years because they have been an exciting team with fun players to watch and a great atmosphere at the "Big A", since the Stadium remodel, and they have been winning and in the Pennant race.

It really all comes down to the excitement and winning atmosphere that is created between the lines in Southern California. If a team isnt winning, interest will wain with the mentality out here. I have seen it for almost 40 years since I was a little kid. People out here have too many other options than to be associated with a losing team. It's just the way it has always been out here with so many entertainment options.

To an extent, this is true. But not always. The Dodgers have drawn over 3 million fans year after year, just about every year, even when they were mostly a joke for the last decade. The Ducks were very successful when they first started, selling out just about every single game. Then Disney screwed it up by continuing to raise ticket prices when the team wasn't doing too well. The Lakers draw consistently.

The Angels were very successful in the 80's, much like the fans have shown up now. Sure it was their glory days, but even after '86, the fans continued to show up, and they contined to draw near the top in the AL for a number of years after. From '79-'90, the Angels were in the top 3 in the AL every year except for '88, and they lead the AL 4 times.

It took six years of failure to really send the fans away. 1992 dropped the team to 8th in the league. The strike year dropped them below the 2 million mark for the first time since '81, which was another strike year, and 1978, the last full year. They didn't get back to 2 million until the stadium reconstruction was done, but '95 was a short year, they were horrible in '96, and the stadium was in pieces and half closed in '97.

The misconception with the Angel fans is that they went away, and the last couple of years, they've come back. It's not really true. Are they the consistant draw the Dodgers, Red Sox, and Cubs are, no. At least they weren't in the past. But they did have a strong, and loyal base in Orange County that did show up, even while the team was awful.

I also disagree with lumping Southern California as a bandwagon area. Certainly it has that element (It's a LA thing mostly, OC doesn't suffer anywhere near as much from it), but every team has it. Look at the Yankees, they drew for crap in the 80's and early 90's. The first time they hit 3 million was 1999. Not '96, not '98, but '99, after 2 titles in 3 years. The Giants didn't start to draw until they moved to SBC Park. The A's still don't draw, and never have.

You want a real bandwagoning fan base, look at Indians fans. the only time they drew in the last 50 years was when they went to the playoffs 6 times in 8 years. After the team fell apart, the fans disappeared. Last year, they were 12th in the league in attendance, just 3 years after their last division title. Their attendance has nearly been cut in half.

Winning will bring the fans anywhere, other than Oakland of course. But what happens when the winning stops? That's where loyalty comes into play. The Angels had that loyalty, maybe not at the level that the Dodgers and Cubs do, but they didn't have the history of those teams. What you saw in 2002 and beyond was the Angels building that history. It wasn't a bandwagon, it was the formation something that had never really been there before.

The name change wipes out that history, and he'll see that when the team falls on hard times. Some might give him benefit of the doubt now, but when when the team loses, he'll see the fans walk away, because he's turned his back on the community. When he has to raise ticket prices because he's not getting the revenue he thought he would from the name change, he'll see even more disappear.

That's why I want the Angels to finish dead last this year, the sooner he fails, the better. If the team does bad enough, perhaps he'll be less willing to wait out the lease, and sell the team to someone who actually cares about the community.

I have been waiting for Carl Lidner to sell the Reds ever since he bought them. I just gave up on that. You are looking at it from a different view than I am. I live almost 4 hours away from Cincy. If I lived in Northern KY on Cincinnati, I might see your point. All I know is that I have loved the Reds through good and bad for all of my life, I could never see that changing for anything. Do I hate giving money to Lidner? Yes, but if I want to watch the team I love, I have to.

This is baseball. I can't ever give it up.

This is absurd. "Moreno sucks [naughty word]."?????

This guy lowers beer prices, keeps ticket prices the same, then goes out and gets Vlad, Colon, Finley, Cabrera, etc, etc.

And the city of Anaheim is wasting tax payer's money on this lame lawsuit....

Unbelievable. Do you guys really hate Los Angeles that much? At least you have an owner who wants to win. Be happy.

Do you guys really hate Los Angeles that much? At least you have an owner who wants to win. Be happy.

It's because the Angels DON'T PLAY IN LOS FREAKING ANGELES. Yes he did lower prices and get good players, but now he's being greedy and changing the name just to make more money. They won a championship under Anaheim, and that was only 3 years ago.

Archived