Blue Purple Red Orange Gold Green Teal Chocolate Charcoal
Blue Purple Red Orange Gold Green Teal Chocolate Charcoal
Kccitystar

Portrait ID list for 2020 (MLB 2K20 Discussion)

I've decided to make this a sticky file to use this thread as a tutorial and a reference for a "Master" list for anyone working on roster changes this year. I figured I would provide a hard definitive list of IDs the game uses utilizing the REDitor utility and the RedMC suite, which is 100% free now.  I'd like to also use this thread for any modder that touches player data or would like an ID for any new player as one of the community's biggest pain points in my opinion have been the amount of slots used which varies per roster (which is highly problematic as there are slots intentionally made for user generated data within the game that get removed/replaced), and the Global IDs which are all over the place for portraits.

I want to use this post to list specific global IDs that should be reserved and left completely untouched for in-game use. Please refer to this master list based on the 2K EOS (End of Season) Roster:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HGJaLhAvgaZcADN1rHW2efWvZE3UHsF8xJIFn8nq8PA/edit?usp=sharing

You'll see a field called PlType indicates the type of player: A value of 4 indicates the player is a Regular Player. A value of either 0,1,2 or even 5  is basically user-generated player data for Create-A-Player, Create-A-Team, and assorted slots for miscellaneous stuff, like draft picks, or the free agent pool in any of your long term play modes (Franchise, MyPlayer, etc.)

Unlike MVP Baseball, the game doesn't keep a .sav for user generated changes within the game and keep the stock roster data separate. The game uses the .ROS for all player data as well as statistics/team data, which is why it autoloads on startup every time.  MLB2K12 will use your roster to store user generated roster data whether it's creating a team or a player, or roster movements in general, the idea is to keep everything unified and consistent so nobody's stepping on each other with their work.  We can avoid using the original MLB 2K12 roster editor for now as at least for me, it no longer serves a purpose other than to import colorlists and make miscellaneous changes later on once we use REDitor to set a definitive roster everyone can use.

What you will need, however, is a stock copy of portrait.iff and portrait.cdf before we can proceed, for reasons I'll explain in this thread at a later time.

REDitor uses three forms of ID for editing players:

1) In the PLAYERS tab, there is a a PLAYER SLOT ID which is just a reference within the roster when you assigning players to a team's roster within the TEAMS tab. This ID can always be changed based on where they are in the Player list and will only affect where they're located in the TEAMS tab.

2) A GLOBAL ID which is the ID you should use for your portraits. Some IDs are reserved for custom player slots that 2K12 uses and should not be touched.

3) An APPEARANCE ID for reference in the APPEARANCES tab, which means that they exist in the game in some shape or form. This ID is unique to every player/person/blank slot in the game to verify the true player count and cannot be used twice.

As far as I know, the only IDs that matter are the GLOBAL for portraits and APPEARANCE IDs.

Under REDitor, we have what are called Player Types. These are hard requirements for every roster maker moving forward as this can explain why the game will glitch as there are Global IDs and slots in the roster that correlate with how the game buffers user generated roster data.

I hope this helps.

-KC

That would explain why when moving legends to regular teams and vice versa, there are errors with the faces. Solid work.

4 hours ago, bctrackboi11 said:

That would explain why when moving legends to regular teams and vice versa, there are errors with the faces. Solid work.

Thanks!

I am currently working on 2K's End of 2012 Season Roster to use as a key for new Global/Appearance IDs.

5 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

Thanks!

I am currently working on 2K's End of 2012 Season Roster to use as a key for new Global/Appearance IDs.

@Kccitystar  thank you very much, for the time and effort you take to make a definitive roster for mlb 2k20, after @B-SUFAN, @headtrip47 has been the moder that has made good roster I think that he, together with @Behindshadows can help you a lot to create one of the best roster, of last years. Greetings 

On my to do list is to clear out all retired players since 2012. Literally deleting them and the free agent class of 2012 from the entire roster file. My intent is to keep the roster light and flexible here.

I will preserve all of the Global IDs from all former players in order to avoid recycling them for newer players. I’ll have a spreadsheet for this at some point this week.

After that, the next step is to slowly import all of the new guys from 2013 to present, team by team, and adjust their appearances accordingly using the new IDs and Appearance IDs I’ll be providing. Everyone will be assigned an ID that doesn’t conflict with anyone else or a former player by the time I finish up. If cyberfaces and portraits need to be reassigned/reset, so be it.

I want to collaborate with all of the face makers and portrait guys as well so we have a system in place. We’ve been approaching things the wrong way for a while and I figure we need a modern roster that works for everyone outside of Play Now modes.

then the last and final step is to set up lineups and configure all-star teams among other things.

It will take the entire offseason to overhaul all of this for the better. You can say I’m in the Roster business now, fellas.

we needed someone that take the initiative to work a team and thus make a good roster, I really like the idea of eliminating retired players and reassigned new IDs for cyberface and portrait, if it is possible to keep the 2k12 method the same ID for cyberface and portrait of a player.

Since I started on this website, I have always tried to contribute a little to the Mod every year with my cyberface, along with Jed and other moders and next season will not be the exception.

7 hours ago, Bostonnico said:

we needed someone that take the initiative to work a team and thus make a good roster, I really like the idea of eliminating retired players and reassigned new IDs for cyberface and portrait, if it is possible to keep the 2k12 method the same ID for cyberface and portrait of a player.

Since I started on this website, I have always tried to contribute a little to the Mod every year with my cyberface, along with Jed and other moders and next season will not be the exception.

I agree. What I didn't like was that there are too many rosters out there with different IDs for different players and that complicates things when you want to make a face or a photo for a player, or even a manager.

MVP has an ID list, and I figure, why not us?

Stay tuned. I'll spend the offseason working on this.

@Kccitystar  Thank you very much, I hope that many more people join us, creators of portrait, cyberface, logos etc. I was part of the team Total mod 2k17 who headed it @pena1, however due to problems and other things the mod could not be finished, it was a shame because were many involved in that occasion, very talented boys.
friends we need to make one of the best roster ever created on this website

@guaro1379  @picklebrad  @Jed  @Karelaf  @headtrip47  @Behindshadows  @raidersbball20

My original plan for a 2020 roster was to completely erase everything from 0 to 9000.

Do the main teams completely over from zero and reasign image slots last.

That way the old players are gone completely from the custom roster! And ones that are already there will be reassigned a new number, so stats can be updated from scratch etc.

That way newer cyberfaces etc, won't have that no show glitch. Then I would go through MVPMods find all the cf's already created and renumber them to match roster.

So then they'll be a new base for future updates with no glitches.

26 minutes ago, Behindshadows said:

My original plan for a 2020 roster was to completely erase everything from 0 to 9000.

Do the main teams completely over from zero and reasign image slots last.

That way the old players are gone completely from the custom roster! And ones that are already there will be reassigned a new number, so stats can be updated from scratch etc.

That way newer cyberfaces etc, won't have that no show glitch. Then I would go through MVPMods find all the cf's already created and renumber them to match roster.

So then they'll be a new base for future updates with no glitches.

The issue with this is that the game protects specific slots/appearance IDs so you can't just start from 0 to 9000.

Reassigning image slots is ultimately the last thing I would do roster-wise.

The problem with the appearance or duplicate faces on the game even if the roster is 25 players is because of Clone...

Just discovered far more slots that I forgot to add, which has derailed my roster work. Stay tuned.

Just a reminder to always back up your content!

Quite excited for this!  Wanted to get into 2K modding/face making for a while...this will be an immense help.

17 hours ago, Bostonnico said:

@Kccitystar  Thank you very much, I hope that many more people join us, creators of portrait, cyberface, logos etc. I was part of the team Total mod 2k17 who headed it @pena1, however due to problems and other things the mod could not be finished, it was a shame because were many involved in that occasion, very talented boys.
friends we need to make one of the best roster ever created on this website

@guaro1379  @picklebrad  @Jed  @Karelaf  @headtrip47  @Behindshadows  @raidersbball20

Great news .... Unfortunately I'm not a roster maker, I don't know anything about making rosters ... It will be great to have an ID list for all cyberfaces and portraits ... Thanks ...

4 hours ago, Jed said:

Great news .... Unfortunately I'm not a roster maker, I don't know anything about making rosters ... It will be great to have an ID list for all cyberfaces and portraits ... Thanks ...

How many IDs are we going to need? Just curious so I can make a good list.

Once all the ID's are ready, I'd like to adjust all accessories, batting stances and pitching windups to match each and every player. Then, once we have this roster, there will be no more random batting equipment and a one hand batting gloves Bryce Harper anymore! Some of the batting stances aren't even CLOSE! 

I would also love to contribute a face or 2 and maybe tweak some stadiums if I have the time.

3 hours ago, picklebrad said:

Once all the ID's are ready, I'd like to adjust all accessories, batting stances and pitching windups to match each and every player. Then, once we have this roster, there will be no more random batting equipment and a one hand batting gloves Bryce Harper anymore! Some of the batting stances aren't even CLOSE! 

I would also love to contribute a face or 2 and maybe tweak some stadiums if I have the time.

Holy crap he lives. I take it you're in on this project, yes?

Right now I'm looking to work on a team of people on this roster (since it's the latest one) and kind of set up a foundation to layer everything else on top. I'll be looking at other games as a guideline as well with maintaining attributes/averages that are similar within 2K12, like OOTP.

My goals right now:

Phase 1:
Using the default roster, I'm looking to hunt down all old/retired players that have been a part of every 2K12 roster file since (I've found out that they're flagged as inactive and unassigned to a team so...just taking up space) and removing them from the game completely. It's going to be a shitload of work. This work also includes deleting the 2K Lifetime Achievement Award Winner, Michael Morse. 

I already have a master list of all portrait IDs used in the game's 2012 roster, so it's already documented which IDs belong to whom. After removing all of the inactive/old players, I'll look to maintain a roster of all active players and then finally set up the free agent pool last.  

My end game is that anyone that's still an active player after 2012 who has had an at bat since the end of the 2019 season will have a portrait ID either already assigned to them as of the last "Living Roster" in 2012, or will be assigned one that does not affect any of the "2K reserved" portrait slots. I do want to maintain this roster as a definitive base roster, primarily because the Appearance ID is roster dependent, and deviating from this in any form can have unintended consequences.

Any new players that either debut in 2020 or are new FA's in the 2020 season will be assigned a new portrait ID and a cyberface/headshape slot.

Phase 2:

After making sure we have all the active players on the roster, it's time to assign them to a team, so that means working on all of the MLB lineups and MiLB lineups as well. The idea is to make sure we have a valid 25-man roster across the board for every team in the game. This should maintain stability across the board.

Phase 3:

Managers, Managers, Managers! Just want to make sure we try to fully staff all of the MLB teams with a manager, a hitting/pitching coach, a scout, and a trainer. Every team is alloted 5 with the exception of MiLB staff where it varies, as long as you have a manager. The ratings formula for this will be explained at a later time.

Phase 4:

Team IDs. Teams relocate/rebrand. We should be fine on this.

Phase 5: Schedules

This one is gonna need extensive testing once the roster is done.

Sounds great! Yeah man, I've been super busy with the Family, new job, moved to Texas and bought a house. I work right across from Globe Life (RIP) at the Hotel where the new stadium is being built next door. 

Have you seen what this MayoLuck guy has been doing? It looks pretty interesting. Maybe we can bring him on board as well. 

On a side note, I have been working on a new SweetFX that will blow people away with decent computers. I wish there was a way to tweak some Staidums though without REDDIT because I can't open a few of them including SunTrust. The grass pattern and tomohawk behind home plate new some work.

Looking forward to the off season and hopefully we can make the best Total Conversion mod for 2K of all time!

RIP Michael Morse LOL "He gone"

17 hours ago, Jed said:

@Jed  I know, but we must contribute to Mod 2k20 with what we know how to do, cyberface for all new players, and those who do not yet have one. That will be our contribution, I know little about the roster edition only the basics, but if I can help with something. I do it without any problem

I'll handle the schedules this season. I have an idea on what to do.

Just updated the list with cyberface and headshape IDs assigned to everyone in the game.

I've been working all week on figuring out how to fix recently released rosters, and I figured with all of the knowledge I now know, plus how I've been using REDitor to parse through all this data, I'll share my findings as part of a conversation I had, and it should explain exactly why it's been so hard to come up with a "quality" roster the past few seasons:

The game, as I've come to understand now, has a couple of features that utilize specific portrait IDs and a specific slot count specifically meant for game data.

I feel like tywiggins' Roster Editor, which we've been using as a community since REDitor was a paid product, never really went deep into the roster data, because as I'm doing a deep dive into the roster, the game uses that .ROS file for essentially everything. It's very monolithic.  To contrast how 2K does their rosters to MVP Baseball for example, a lot of things in MVP are fairly compartmentalized and modular, so you can edit things without an issue.

For example, you can use the 2019 roster and run through the entire 2009 season schedule if you wanted, but maybe you want to use the stock player progression over a tweaked one we have on our site so as you play through your season mode into 2010 and beyond, the players peak differently. You can do that. The roster for a game like MVP is pretty straight forward. There's stats, attributes, a cyberface ID and a portrait ID. That's about it. The portrait ID is in a way, the primary index in MVP. It's how the game references a player, and the cyberface ID is a bonus. You can swap that ID with a generic player face and the game will still be playable. On 2K12, the .ROS file outside of player data, is essentially a massive index for the game. It tells MLB 2K12 about all the uniforms assigned to a team, the team's colors, the names of the teams, the city they play in, the names of the stadiums, the coaching staff for all 120 teams, stats for every player and historical data used in all of their long term game modes (like My Player), etc. It's ridiculously detailed. 

With all this data and references that point to files you probably have or don't have in the game, compiling a roster has proven to be problematic, and you know why? It's because everybody's Appearance ID along with Cyberface and Headshape IDs are always messed up. 

Let me tell you why this is important: Basically, an Appearance ID is how the game acknowledges a player exists in some way shape or form in the game. For a lot of rosters that I've seen and opened with REDitor, they might have completely accurate player movements and appearance data for these players (like the batting glove type, shinguards, etc.), but the Appearance IDs are out of wack, and the player slots that 2K needs to store player data within their game modes don't even exist. Some players have duplicate appearance IDs, and some appearance IDs are missing entirely for some players (think of having 0 as an appearance ID for the first guy, and then the next player is 2 instead of 1).

Technically, as long as there is a slot containing all relevant data for the player/manager/CAP/CAT Player along with a valid Appearance ID that's sequential and only used once, the game will remain stable, because that player/person is indexed in the right order.

The idea moving forward with these revelations is to work on building a stable base roster that is guaranteed to work, and layer all of the changes we want from there.

@Kccitystar  This is great, that level of depth and knowledge you have reached, about the roster that has long been very complex and difficult to understand. I have nothing more to thank for all your time and effort

What about FA? If there isnt enough in the pool during a franchise mode you will get a crash. Why i only removed everyone over 30 yrs old from the pool, anymore than that and there wasnt enough to fill team rosters for players on the d.l.

21 hours ago, mayoluck said:

What about FA? If there isnt enough in the pool during a franchise mode you will get a crash. Why i only removed everyone over 30 yrs old from the pool, anymore than that and there wasnt enough to fill team rosters for players on the d.l.

The game's default roster has about 270 free agents that are existing players, and most of them are either guys that didn't play in the 2011 season or were released during the 2011 season from all league levels, so it should be important to retain that number or more.

I'd highly advise in future rosters making it a mix of MLB talent, AAA talent, and some international talent ;)