MLB2K12 2020 Roster Thread

headtrip47

I'm brand new to the PC community and all the work you guys do has made me get myself a copy of 2K12. Just wanted to pop in here and say how much I appreciate what you guys are doing for the PC baseball community. You guys are legends for keeping this game alive. I really hope all the issues can be resolved. Can't wait to see this come to fruition. You've got all of our support! 👏

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/10/2020 at 12:16 AM, Bostonnico said:

@Kccitystar   greetings bro
Take your time, think cold-headed. I know that you can solve this problem.
I believe in you friend 👍👍👏👏😃😃

So,  if you've been following this thread, you know I've been trying to figure out how to best create "new" slots without having to worry much about Inside Edge data and audio references since I can't clone player slots without having it cause appearance problems.

The last official roster from 2K for MLB2K12 has 3852 player slots in the Players tab on REDitor.

This also includes PLType 0, 1 and 2 slots (0 is for draft/retired player data, 1 is for CAP players and 2 is for CAT players). So doing the math here, the stock roster has 25 players for every team in the game including the AL Greats/NL Greats. That's about 3100 total active players assigned to an MLB Team, the ASG and Greats teams.

So this means:

3852 Player slots
347 PLType 0, 1, 2 slots
3505 total active players
3100 total active players assigned to an MLB team + All-Stars + Greats teams
405 players in the Free Agent Pool

Then it hit me.

PadQjHm.png

I thought to myself, what if I simulated 40 seasons in Franchise mode? What if I literally played 2K12 until everyone in the original 2K12 roster retired? Would the game make new slots? Would this fix my issue?

Only one way to find out! I've spent the last couple days testing out a Franchise mode with the EOS (end of season) Official 2K roster, and I've found out that the game doesn't add more rows to the Players tab and will recycle those slots with new talent. I'm under the impression that since the game will generate new data for those same exact rows, it should be considered a new slot, with no Inside Edge data and audio references.

Through REDitor, I'll try to export my franchise roster to a .ROS file, so this is exciting, because then I could import everyone I need to add in with no problem.

Stay tuned, this is exciting!

1 hour ago, Kccitystar said:

So,  if you've been following this thread, you know I've been trying to figure out how to best create "new" slots without having to worry much about Inside Edge data and audio references since I can't clone player slots without having it cause appearance problems.

The last official roster from 2K for MLB2K12 has 3852 player slots in the Players tab on REDitor.

This also includes PLType 0, 1 and 2 slots (0 is for draft/retired player data, 1 is for CAP players and 2 is for CAT players). So doing the math here, the stock roster has 25 players for every team in the game including the AL Greats/NL Greats. That's about 3100 total active players assigned to an MLB Team, the ASG and Greats teams.

So this means:

3852 Player slots
347 PLType 0, 1, 2 slots
3505 total active players
3100 total active players assigned to an MLB team + All-Stars + Greats teams
405 players in the Free Agent Pool

Then it hit me.

PadQjHm.png

I thought to myself, what if I simulated 40 seasons in Franchise mode? What if I literally played 2K12 until everyone in the original 2K12 roster retired? Would the game make new slots? Would this fix my issue?

Only one way to find out! I've spent the last couple days testing out a Franchise mode with the EOS (end of season) Official 2K roster, and I've found out that the game doesn't add more rows to the Players tab and will recycle those slots with new talent. I'm under the impression that since the game will generate new data for those same exact rows, it should be considered a new slot, with no Inside Edge data and audio references.

Through REDitor, I'll try to export my franchise roster to a .ROS file, so this is exciting, because then I could import everyone I need to add in with no problem.

That is great news! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

1 hour ago, Kccitystar said:

Magnificent!! Come on Bro, I know that you can with this, maybe the solution is not as complicated as it seems, and everything is solved just by exporting your franchise roster to the .ROS file.

Friend, of course I'm always following all your threads, about the new roster. Thanks for not giving up and get on with this great project, greetings  :hi::clapping:

27 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

That's brilliant! Good thinking. Very curious to see how that goes.

0eYu5fC.png

The year is 2042.

I have won 7 world series' with the Yankees and have torn down/rebuilt this team to be an unstoppable beast.

There is a Stanton on this team. Probably one of Giancarlo's kids. He's not as good as his dad.

I have someone named Babe on this team that's rated 99 overall. I drafted this kid in 2038 and he blew threw the minors. Now I'm throwing the entire season's budget at him to lock him to my ten year deal.

Tomorrow I convert this to a .ROS file.

6 minutes ago, Kccitystar said:

The year is 2042.

I have won 7 world series' with the Yankees and have torn down/rebuilt this team to be an unstoppable beast.

There is a Stanton on this team. Probably one of Giancarlo's kids. He's not as good as his dad.

I have someone named Babe on this team that's rated 99 overall. I drafted this kid in 2038 and he blew threw the minors. Now I'm throwing the entire season's budget at him to lock him to my ten year deal.

Woohoo year 2042, I wonder how many world series Boston has won too lol ....

We hope everything turns out very well tomorrow, good luck bro

10 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

So from what you can tell the inside edge data and other residual data is gone?  And getting to this point in a franchise will that allow date changes for when the 2020 roster is used in franchise?  Curious if this works around some of that hard coded stuff and things like the issues with announced names and appearances.

44 minutes ago, WacoKid said:

So from what you can tell the inside edge data and other residual data is gone?  And getting to this point in a franchise will that allow date changes for when the 2020 roster is used in franchise?  Curious if this works around some of that hard coded stuff and things like the issues with announced names and appearances.

Well, from first glance, here's the first 12 slots of the official 2K12 roster from the end of the 2012 season:

FOzopw2.png

Here it is in my 2042 franchise:

fCOJQj3.png

Only thing that stands out to me is the positions remaining static for some reason.

Buying Inside Edge data for the teams in 2042 doesn't give me any details, so that means the original data has been overwritten.

Also, I can confirm that PLType 0 slots are meant for draft picks and retired players, which means PLType 0 is reserved for in game data.

What I also realized that I'm able to do today as I'm working on this roster is create some more variance in the body types of players that develop over time, so not everyone in future simulations in your franchise mode end up having the same body type (Average), which is pretty awesome. Some of the greatest players in baseball weren't really super fit athletes (David Ortiz, Bartolo Colon, Mo Vaughn) for example.

12 minutes ago, WacoKid said:

@Kccitystar thats an awesome find!  Exciting to hear that a potential way forward has been found.  Good luck with this, really hoping it works out.

I'm also planning on expanding the name bank with more regional names, since the game uses about 24 regions to generate guys. There's too many guys with the last names of famous players for some reason in my 2042 franchise.

15 minutes ago, Kccitystar said:

I'm also planning on expanding the name bank with more regional names, since the game uses about 24 regions to generate guys. There's too many guys with the last names of famous players for some reason in my 2042 franchise.

That'll be sweet.  If only the audio files for the PA announcer could be edited to add player names.  Theres enough audio samples to be found out there. 

Something I did just to see if i could was messing around with a PS3 emulator and dumped the disc of my copy of the show 16 to see if it would be able to possible to access some audio assets.  Still cant get those .wad files open to poke around.  But will keep looking around for an answer.  Really wondering if that kind of thing is legal to use?  Really just interested in the MUCH larger selection of PA announcer names.

26 minutes ago, WacoKid said:

That'll be sweet.  If only the audio files for the PA announcer could be edited to add player names.  Theres enough audio samples to be found out there. 

Something I did just to see if i could was messing around with a PS3 emulator and dumped the disc of my copy of the show 16 to see if it would be able to possible to access some audio assets.  Still cant get those .wad files open to poke around.  But will keep looking around for an answer.  Really wondering if that kind of thing is legal to use?  Really just interested in the MUCH larger selection of PA announcer names.

My approach to modding this game has changed a lot since we've got fairly limited tools compared to what we can do on MVP. I figure it's best to just work with what we got.

Unfortunately we can't import audio names, but....we could expand the list of available names to fully cover all of the regions the game covers and modify how the game generates new guys. 

For a lot of people that have played this game over the years, because of the instability of the rosters, Play Now is a common way to play. With this roster I'm working on, I'd rather shake the tree and modify how the game's player progression and things like that work as you take a deeper dive into Franchise mode.

For the PLType 0 slots for example, it's pretty much the main template the game uses to generate pitchers, outfielders, first basemen, etc for Draft Day 2012.

After the first season, I've found that the game utilizes the existing player names/values to generate new guys and the initial PLType 0 slots are overwritten with existing players save for a few slots the game preserves for retirees.

We can manipulate these values so that the game will create amateur players that develop at a much more realistic pace, that get generated and don't have the same body type, and won't feel like the game is coming to a singularity event where everybody looks the same since the game recycles assets for future years in franchise mode.

16 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

The year is 2042.

That's awesome. So you should have certainly gotten rid of every single player that was in the game by now including prospects.

So, there are things that are hardcoded:

All of MLB's league-wide changes as of 2020 and little things since 2012 cannot be added to the roster. This is fine, because it's a limitation of the game itself and something I can get creative with.

So, this means:

- No 26 man roster for Franchise (includes new 13 pitcher maximum, 14 after September 1)

- No two-way players (This didn't exist when 2K12 released)

- Franchise mode will set the ASG Roster to 25 players by default, however the initial roster for Play Now modes will have the full player count.

Going to test an expanded list of last names and first names tonight. Hopefully I get a varied set of player names in season simulations ;)

3 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

So, there are things that are hardcoded:

All of MLB's league-wide changes as of 2020 and little things since 2012 cannot be added to the roster. This is fine, because it's a limitation of the game itself and something I can get creative with.

So, this means:

- No 26 man roster for Franchise (includes new 13 pitcher maximum, 14 after September 1)

- No two-way players (This didn't exist when 2K12 released)

- Franchise mode will set the ASG Roster to 25 players by default, however the initial roster for Play Now modes will have the full player count.

Going to test an expanded list of last names and first names tonight. Hopefully I get a varied set of player names in season simulations ;)

This is god news... Thanks Brother...

16 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

We can manipulate these values so that the game will create amateur players that develop at a much more realistic pace, that get generated and don't have the same body type, and won't feel like the game is coming to a singularity event where everybody looks the same since the game recycles assets for future years in franchise mode.

Thats awesome, when you said regions a few posts ago, would that be like countries, or like the SE US, Carribean etc.  Either way sounds like you have a great plan to add some flavor to franchise mode.  

2 hours ago, WacoKid said:

Thats awesome, when you said regions a few posts ago, would that be like countries, or like the SE US, Carribean etc.  Either way sounds like you have a great plan to add some flavor to franchise mode.  

hdkzAyn.png

These are the regions the game is hardcoded to provide.

What I've discovered is that the game recycles names from older players (like Kubel, Upton, Daisuke, Ichiro) when there should be enough variance to not see those as much among the 3505 active players as you simulate or play years of seasons in your 'Chise. This is why I want to expand the name banks with more region specific names.  

As a neat perk, I can assign values to those last names that phonetically sound similar as well (Peterson and Pederson).

Great news! It works!

So the stock roster has about 3352 surnames it uses to generate players, and I added about another 4,000 regional surnames based on the US census within the past few decades, so after simulating about 20 years worth of baseball (2032), I hardly saw the same names being recycled. 

Encouraging stuff.

39 minutes ago, Kccitystar said:

Great news! It works!

So the stock roster has about 3352 surnames it uses to generate players, and I added about another 4,000 regional surnames based on the US census within the past few decades, so after simulating about 20 years worth of baseball (2032), I hardly saw the same names being recycled. 

Encouraging stuff.

OMG thank you! Name generation has been a problem in 2K sports games since their inception! Awesome to see you implement this! 😃

21 minutes ago, EZMADDEN said:

OMG thank you! Name generation has been a problem in 2K sports games since their inception! Awesome to see you implement this! 😃

Thank you! The little details matter ❤️

I need to work on the first names list. Here's the spreadsheet I have going on:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-xxxtlRzeh21NA777na5gGBpvbfFaYIAwFfWYrT4V4w/edit?usp=sharing

Yes, I know, the Last Names sheet is super long.

I'll update it once I get a beta version of the roster going and just trim the last names down to a few thousand common ones.

19 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

Thank you! The little details matter ❤️

I need to work on the first names list. Here's the spreadsheet I have going on:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-xxxtlRzeh21NA777na5gGBpvbfFaYIAwFfWYrT4V4w/edit?usp=sharing

Yes, I know, the Last Names sheet is super long.

I'll update it once I get a beta version of the roster going and just trim the last names down to a few thousand common ones.

Glad that worked, its fantastic news.

An Update:

Long week here as the ball is rolling at my job to start moving to a new space. Guess who's the pointman for the IT aspect of the office move? It's me. I'm pointman.

Trying to get a hold of IT vendors for this project has been quite the job.

But anyway, just wanted to share some progress in case you guys are ready for a non-stats beta 0.1 of this roster:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4759d1026824f7eb71e4

I've imported all the guys, but I've been working on making sure we have full 25 man rosters for all clubs, and making sure we have a fairly accurate free agent pool in between editing the rookie drafting OVR values and other things as mentioned in previous posts.

I think the game itself has about 405 free agents that cover both MLB talent and MiLB talent, so I'll do my best to cover everyone and hide everyone else. On a sidenote, I may need to update that cyberface/portrait ID list as the list is kinda faulty, specifically with free agents.

I may have accidentally given a guy like Kevin Milwood (who retired in 2013, but was on the 2K13 roster anyway) a new ID and CF_ID in the process.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e479d36cc675c054f39a1

I know, "Opening day" can't come soon enough. Hang in there ;)

Archived