Editing Rosters through REDitor: A Research Thread

Kccitystar

Hey guys,

So I've been primarily working through REDitor to edit rosters and I wanted to share all of my findings according to what I've messed around with on REDitor. This isn't so much a project or a mod, but a guide to show you how to best prepare a roster if you wish to work on one:

I'll keep evolving this specific thread with things I find useful or important to mod the rosters in the game moving forward. 

Players Tab:

• 2K reserves specific Global IDs and slots for Created players and guys assigned to Created teams . These Global IDs don't have portraits assigned to them on purpose as the game populates the data with user generated values. It's absolutely important that these global IDs remain untouched or assigned to other players otherwise you will experience unintended behavior. Every roster requires that these slots are included as they are necessary for the game to function in all long term play modes (Franchise mode, Create A Team/Player, etc.) and to ensure stability.
  • There are 97 PLType 0 slots. Not sure if they've got in-game use yet because I haven't seen them. I am not sure if 3 slots are missing or if the missing slots were intentional by the developers.
  • There are 50 PLType 1 slots. REDitor's manual says they're for created players, so I'll trust the manual on this one.
  • There are 200 PLType 2 slots. I am assuming that these are meant for the game's Create-A-Team mode as it should allow you to create 4 teams of 25 guys.
  • The IsFA and TeamID values coordinate with each other in this tab. If a person is a free agent, then they're not assigned to a team, so the value for TeamID should be -1, and the IsFA value should be 1.
  • Every player can have up to 30 years worth of stats (this can be populated and referenced in the Stats tab)
  • Ambitions influence the trade logic/player movement in the game. These are values that affect the happiness of a player on the team. There are 4 types of ambitions a player can have in the game, starting from a scale of 0 to 10:
    • Amb_Time: The higher the value, the more important it is for the player to have enough playing time to be happy.
    • Amb_P4W: The higher this value, the more important it is for that player to win enough games to be happy.
    • Amb_TmPr: The higher the value, the higher the chances that this player will refuse to play for teams with low prestige (a losing team).
    • Amb_FinS:  The higher the value, the more likely this player will sign for a much bigger contract which overrides all the other factors.
  • The maximum deal a player can be assigned is a 10 year deal.
  • Players assigned to All-Star Teams will need to be cloned, HOWEVER the AppID value will need to be incremental and not a duplicate of the cloned player.

Teams tab:

• You can, in theory, add as many teams as you want, but they would only be playable in exhibitions only (They would need to be given a TType value of 9, like the AL/NL Greats teams).
  • The ID numbers in this tab determine the TeamID you assign to players in the Players Tab.
  • TTypes define the type of team the game will display your team as, in-game. Note that there are some IDs where it will only serve a purpose within the game's functions, like being featured in the MLB schedule (like the Futures Games) or like player movement (like the Single A teams): 
    • 1 - MLB Team
    • 2 - AAA Team
    • 3 - AA Team
    • 4 - A Team (All of these teams are not playable)
    • 5 - AL and NL All-Star Teams
    • 6 - AL and NL Futures Team (This would only be meant for in-game purposes like featuring them in the schedule)
    • 7 - Created Team (There are 4 slots for these teams, which explains the 200 CAT slots in the Players Tab: 25 players per team)
    • 9 - Legends Team (AL and NL Greats)
    • 10/11 - HR Derby Away/Home Team
    • 13 - 2K Sports Team
  • The only teams that have a 0 value in the NonMLB field are the official 30 MLB clubs. Everyone else gets a value of 1.
  • Each team is assigned up to 5 rivals. I'd like to think this affects something in the game but I am not sure. Maybe the crowd noise? IDK yet

Staff Tab:

• The game features 5 types of staff members to a team. The game defines these by their SType value:
    • 0 - Manager
    • 1 - Batting Coach
    • 2 - Pitching Coach
    • 3 - Trainer
    • 4 - Scout
  • ExpTotal is a value that's meant to be the total amount of years as a player and manager. Think of it as whatever your value is for ExpMLB + their years as an active MLB player.
  • ExpMLB is a value that's meant to be the total amount of years as an MLB manager.
  • The AppID cannot be a duplicate value if you have to clone staff members from another team (for example, All-Star teams)
  • Staff can only be assigned a maximum of 7 years to a team.
  • TeamID is a value that assigns the staff to any specific team in the Teams tab.

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2020 at 7:16 PM, Kccitystar said:

@jack805td I would definitely love your insight as your work on rosters and figuring out the game's logic is highly valued

I would love to help.

In general, the roster template is crash proof as long as you do not change certain things "out of the range" the game is "looking" for. I use the ranges that are in the General Editing Tutorial that comes with REDedit II.

I do have to document what I found.

In the meantime, ask away and I will let you know what I know.

Edited by jack805td

1 hour ago, jack805td said:

I would love to help.

In general, the roster template is crash proof as long as you do not change certain things "out of the range" the game is "looking" for. I use the ranges that are in the General Editing Tutorial that comes with REDedit II.

I do have to document what I found.

In the meantime, ask away and I will let you know what I know.

I've been looking through my work with the schedules and I'm trying to figure out how 2K determines the scheduling for the Schedule_Spring tabs.

For example, I know the Schedule_Older/Old/Cur are merely the first game of every series, with the Schedule_Actual tab being all 162 games for all 30 clubs, but I don't know how 2K structures the 52G and 104G tabs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/22/2020 at 7:16 PM, Kccitystar said:

@jack805td I would definitely love your insight as your work on rosters and figuring out the game's logic is highly valued

I will read though your posts and respond to them one at a time. I will collect your notes and put them together as as guide or something......it might take some time to tackle everything.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
7 minutes ago, dcstadium said:

Dear Sirs,

I'm new to the Reditor, it seems everytime  i try to download it my norton pops on and removes it its the same for total installer thingy. How can I prevent this? Please help. 

@dcstadium The best workaround I can give you is to pause real-time protection, download and install these applications then before you run them, make exceptions for those directories that have the .exe in them in your antivirus so it doesn't scan those directories when you resume real-time protection.

Given how old the programs are, they'll always get flagged as a false-positive by all modern AV programs.

• 2 months later...

I find reditor ii is great, but not sure how to create a player, I removed all the non playing players, but now the id's are gone. Anyone know how to add a new player? All minor and major teams are done, but missing all the new player that I still have to create. Thx for any help on this matter.

• 3 years later...
16 minutes ago, Muller_11 said:

and what's the work?

I was researching how to accurately build out a physics system within Unity for a baseball sim, and it led me to look into MLB2K12 regarding specific attributes from that Pitches tab on REDitor

Pitches Tab:

j7uDYX5.png

Took a while but I was able to understand what these values were that we were so stumped on for some time that weren't explained completely through Vlad's documentation for REDitor, like these values:

1. DownImp1
  2. DownImp2
  3. Param4
  4. DifVeloc
  5. DifUnexp
  6. DifTraj

Since they're shorthand names for global pitch attributes/characteristics, this is kind of what I've been able to breakdown, and I may be wrong to an extent. I will note that sliders in the game can impact pitch characteristics and how the CPU behaves:

• DownImp1 and 2 might represent two different aspects of the downward impulse applied to the pitch. This could relate to how the pitch's speed or trajectory is affected by gravity or the pitcher's motion over two different phases of the pitch's flight (initial release from the hand vs arrival to home plate)
  • HorizImp would suggests Horizontal Impulse, which would affect the pitch's movement left or right. This could be a measure of the pitch's ability to break or move horizontally, influenced by the spin and the angle of the pitch as released by the pitcher. For a curveball, sinker or a slider, a higher value might indicate a greater break. The default is 0 for these pitches.
  • Param4 was the big one I was trying to figure out, but because it only has decimal values going from 0.5 to 0.8, it's probably a coefficient related to one of the pitch attributes, so I'm going to tinker with this a bit
  • DifVeloc, DifUnexp, DifTraj (or as I call them, "The Dif's") are meant to simulate the dynamics of facing different pitch types from the perspective of the hitter/cpu and it's scaled from 0.0 to 1. I'll use the fastball in the game as a baseline:
    • DifVeloc would represent how difficult a pitch is to hit because of the velocity variation (difference between MinSpeed and MaxSpeed). A value scaling up from 0.0 to 1 affects how hard it is for you or the CPU to time a fast pitch. So if a pitch has a 0 value, there's no additional challenge from velocity variation, but if a pitch has a 1 value it's extremely hard to get solid contact on a pitch. The pitch speed is predictable or doesn't significantly impact how you can time the pitch. A fastball has a default value of 0.5 for example, so it's still challenging to time but you're able to square it up.
    • DifUnexp might represent how difficult a pitch is to hit due to unpredictability in when you or the CPU are sitting on one. A value scaling from 0.0 to 1 would affect how predictable the pitch is for you or the CPU to anticipate. So a value of 0.0 means the pitch is easy to read or anticipate in a certain count, but if a pitch has a 1 value it means it's extremely unpredictable, so either the pitch is not often used, it moves closely to another pitch until it's final approach to the plate or its movement can fool you. A fastball has a default value of 0.5, for example, so it might be used in certain counts or it's deceptive enough to make you or the CPU lookout for one.
    • DifTraj might represent difficulty due to trajectory, so a value scaling from 0.0 to 1 means a pitch might be hard to hit based on how clear the pitch's path is to you or the CPU. So a pitch with a 0.0 value would mean it's a completely flat pitch or its movement is predictable for you or the CPU, but if a pitch has a value of 1, it means that the pitch's trajectory is challenging, either there's significant break, drop, or unexpected movement that you or the CPU need to adjust to. A fastball has a default value of 0, for example, so you would only need to worry more about timing and speed of the pitch.

Let's use the baseline Dif values of a fastball (0.5, 0.5, 0) and compare that to two other pitches, a 2-seam fastball, and a Curveball. It's an example of a pitch that doesn't deviate much from the in-game fastball vs a pitch with completely different characteristics.

• Compared to the fastball, the 2-seam fastball's Dif values have a slightly higher variance from the fastball (0.4, 0.4, 0.2). What does that mean for you? This means that you or the CPU can anticipate and adjust to 2-seamers but the DifTraj being 0.2 means it's more challenging to hit it squarely. Which 2K attempted to have reflect real life, because two-seamers have different degrees (default is 260 for the game's 2FB) of armside fadeaway so they induce grounders, like sinkers.
  • A Curveball in the game has Dif values of (0.05, 0.5 and 0.45). What does that mean for you? It means that it's not hard to time (DifVeloc) but it's speed is fairly consistent. It's got the same level of unpredictability as a fastball (a value of 0.5 means that it can surprise you in any count, and there's a 50/50 chance the CPU will take the pitch), but the high DifTraj value (0.45) means that it's much harder for you or the CPU to hit because of the big break (default is 150 for the curveball).