for all who play CPU vs. CPU

ncbravesfan

Has anyone found a slider combination that increases the number of strikeouts per game? No matter what I try, the MOST K's per game that I have seen for a starter is 4. I've tested it with RJ, Clemens, Pedro, Schmidt ... all of the strikeout pitchers, and still, it does not seem like a computer starter can get more than four K's.

I thought I had it figured out in a game when Anaheim's Bartolo Colon had four in the first two innings. But then, guess what? No more K's the rest of the game! It's almost as though the CPU is programmed to stop once a pitcher hits four K's.

Has anyone else noticed this? If not, what is the most number of K's you've seen from a single pitcher when playing CPU vs. CPU? And what are your sliders set at?

Thanks!

ncbravesfan,

These are where I am presently and getting closer and closer. Walks are now inline and K's are much better but occassional somewhat low.

Difficulty: All-Star

Variable Strike Zone: On

Variable "Stuff": On

Blown Calls: On

User Pitch Meter Difficulty: 0

Pitch Speed: 6

CPU Pitcher Ball Rate: 0

User Pitcher Fatigue: -15

CPU Pitcher Fatigue: -15

User Pitch Control: 49

CPU Pitch Control: 49

Bullpen Fatigue Rate: 0

Bullpen Fatigue Grace: 0

User Batting Contact: -49

CPU Batting Contact: -49

User Batting Power: 0

CPU Batting Power: 0

User Bunting Ability: 5

CPU Bunting Ability: 5

User Foul Ball Frequency: 11

CPU Foul Ball Frequency: 11

CPU Swing Frequency: 12

User OF Speed (Manual): 0

User OF Speed (MVP): 0

CPU OF Speed: 0

User IF Speed (Manual): 0

User IF Speed (MVP): 0

CPU IF Speed: 0

User Throw Speed: 0

CPU Throw Speed: 0

User Throw Accuracy: 0

CPU Throw Accuracy: 0

User Catch Errors: 23

CPU Catch Errors: 23

User Dive Difficulty: -15

CPU Catch Effort: 0

User Baserunning Speed: 2

CPU Baserunning Speed: 2

User Runner Aggression: 0

CPU Runner Aggression: 0

User Runner Steal Speed: 4

CPU Runner Steal Speed: 4

User Runner Steal Delay: -4

CPU Runner Steal Delay: -4

CPU Steal Rate: 4

Runner Injury Frequency: 0

Pitcher Injury Frequency: 0

Batter Injury Frequency: 0

Fielder Injury Frequency: 0

Pitching MG Difference: 0

The Pitch counts maybe a bit on the low side but typically in the later innings for pitchers going the distance it will be around 10 per inning or so.

I think the Rosters one uses also effect any slider settings quite a bit as well. Mainly due to the multitude of ways to create Pitchers ratings and inparticular the Pitch Types and trajectories. There are certain pitches that are the better strikeout type pitches such as a hard breaking curve or slider and also the difference in speeds a particular pitcher throws between pitch types affects K's as well. Actually almost all the ratings such as Movement, Control, Velocity, Pitch Type & trajectory has some impact. A hitters contact rating and Plate Discipline rating along with his Miss, Take & Chase ratings impact frequency of K's as well. Thus the Rosters one builds do have a significant impact.

I tested your sliders with a game between the Braves and Yankees. Both Smoltz and Johnson went seven innings, with Smoltzie striking out three and RJ a whole whopping ONE. I'm going to continue to mess around with them until I find a way to get more K's. Also, the pitch counts WERE extremely low and unrealistic. Smoltz only threw 62 pitches in 7 innings and had TWO four-pitch innings. I'm thinking that the swing frequency needs to be lowered so that more batters get into holes and hopefully that will increase pitch count and K's.

Again, if anyone discovers the secret to more realistic K's, I'd love to know.

I tested your sliders with a game between the Braves and Yankees. Both Smoltz and Johnson went seven innings, with Smoltzie striking out three and RJ a whole whopping ONE. I'm going to continue to mess around with them until I find a way to get more K's. Also, the pitch counts WERE extremely low and unrealistic. Smoltz only threw 62 pitches in 7 innings and had TWO four-pitch innings. I'm thinking that the swing frequency needs to be lowered so that more batters get into holes and hopefully that will increase pitch count and K's.

Again, if anyone discovers the secret to more realistic K's, I'd love to know.

turn down the cpu swing rate.

ncbravesfan,

Yep, those results are quite different than the ones I am seeing. I guess we need to synch up on the Rosters being used because that certainly impacts what Slider settings one should use. I used Rosters produced by MVPEdit with Classic Oldtime Teams versus the EA Current Rosters. I would think they would produce different results because the player rating scales are a bit different.

Unfortunately I haven't ever experimented with EA Type rosters but soley MVPEdit type thus I would think these Sliders are fairly misleading for those using EA Type Roster that are slightly adjusted by Roster makers. All of the Teams I used are Imported from the Lahman Data Base.

My fault for misleading you I should have realized that before posting these or at least qualified them. I just finished a '60 Pirates vs '63 Dodgers CPU game and it was a 1-0 game with Koufax having 10 K's in 7.2 innings and Bob Friend with 6 in 8 innings. Only 3 walks total in the game with a total hit count of 8 hits.

I also use Dynasty to play 7 game Series to keep the stats and typically several pitchers (for some reason mostly relievers tho) avg 9 K's per 9 innings or better and the starters avg 4-7 or so over the Series. So I am OK with the K's but what I am trying to do is reduce the number of Hits in a typical game because it has been running slightly higher than 20 per game for both teams which is too high in my opinion as well as the runs are a bit high also. Runs are like 4.5 - 6 runs per team on average which is high for the '60s type of ballgame - although pretty accurrate for today's type game perhaps. My walk, errors, steals, caught stealing results are very much in the realm of reality.

Good luck and keep trucking. I sure will be as right now that is all I am really trying to do is run CPU type games without changing much of anything other than sliders to evaluate the impact.

Jpup,

Thanks for the advice. It worked great! I tested two games, Atl vs. Hou and NYY vs. Bos. Here were my K's for the starters:

Smoltz 6 IP, 4 K

Clemens 7 IP, 5 K

Johnson 7 IP, 8 K (including 3 in 1st inning!)

Schilling 5.2, 4 K

overall, there were 14 K's in the Atlanta-Houston game and a whopping 40 K's in the Yankees-Sox game (18 inning marathon)

I'm going to tweak a little more, but overall I like stecropper's sliders with the Swing Frequency set at -49

Once I get a slider setting I'm satisfied with, I'll post it.

Thanks, again to both Jpup and Stecropper!

Just a question for guys who play CPU vs CPU....

When you play the games yourself, you can impact how your team is ranked. Presumably if you are good enough you can get your team a high ranking. I was wondering then if you play CPU vs CPU< does this ranking impact how your team plays (i.e. if I play well with my team and its ranked high, would they have a higher % chance of winning in a CPU vs CPU game than toehrwise?) Any insights?

ncbravesfan & jpup,

Jpup - Thanks for that great suggestion about messing with the CPU Swing Frequency - That sure has made a difference.

ncbravesfan - With jpup's help suggestion I am not messing with the Pitcher Ball Rate (needed to see more balls thrown to help with pitch counts) plus Pitchers Stamina (needed to see Pitchers work further into the game before getting yanked plus it helps produce more K's earlier in the game it seems) ---

Very encouraging as K's have increased Walks it appears can now be adjusted to something realistic and Pitch Counts have improved drastically.

I think we are getting really close ---- keep posting your Sliders as you feel more comfortable with the consistent results. Even tho we use different Rosters Sets I think the theories of the impact of sliders adjustments are meaningful to everyone that does CPU vs CPU type games.

Archived