Request for a 1973 roster

Jakob47

Hello,

Love this site and loved the 1974 total classics! I want to make a request for a 1973 version! I doubt there are many changes to stadiums, uniforms and such and frankly I'm only interested in the rosters complete with stats for the 1973 season. Is there a kind soul willing to make such roster? 1973 was one of my favorite baseball years with my A's winning for the second time in a row, Tom Seaver being otherworldly good, Hank Aaron almost passing Babe Ruth in homers, Willie Mays playing his last year for the Mets... I would love to relive that year in MVP Baseball.

Many thanks, take care!

Have you ever thought of trying to do it yourself? 

I do stuff like that for my own enjoyment from time to time, in different games. I know I'm not as talented as the best guys out there but I still have fun creating my own stuff. 

With MVPEdit, you can quickly import historical teams to create your rosters, including stats.  That's the easy part.  Next, comes more work:

• Trimming each team down to 25 players making sure that a player only appears on a single team
  • Setting batting orders and pitching rotations
  • Assigning pitchers accurate pitch types
  • Assigning portrait and face IDs, although you could always assign generics, but where's the fun in that?

You've now got rosters you can use, however, you probably won't get the realistic results you want.  Now the REAL work begins, and that is tweaking the player attributes.  This is necessary because pulling in the stats from the Lahman database don't always translate accurately to MVPEdit settings.  For example, if you have a relief pitcher that had 8 at-bats during the season and he got 3 hits, that would mean that his battting average was .375.  MVPEdit is probably going to give this guy contact ratings in the 90's!

When I create the rosters in the Total Classics mods.  I have a 15-20 page document containing global tweaks that was given to me by stecropper, one of the original classic roster makers and a collaborator on MVPEdit.  I apply these global tweaks across all major league players and then run numerous single season dynasty simulations to make sure that the final results (regular season standings, postseason results, statistical leaders, award winners) are somewhat close to the final results for the year I am modding.  In between each simulation, I will tweak individual player attributes if a player's stats are too high or too low.

It can take me weeks or months to come up with a roster I am happy with, depending upon how much time I have to mod.  I tend to be a perfectionist when it comes to the Total Classics mods and feel that if I am going to create a mod, I might as well create something I am proud of and that I want to play myself. 

So in short, it's not a trivial task to create historically accurate rosters.

1 hour ago, Jim825 said:

With MVPEdit, you can quickly import historical teams to create your rosters, including stats.  That's the easy part.  Next, comes more work:

• Trimming each team down to 25 players making sure that a player only appears on a single team
  • Setting batting orders and pitching rotations
  • Assigning pitchers accurate pitch types
  • Assigning portrait and face IDs, although you could always assign generics, but where's the fun in that?

You've now got rosters you can use, however, you probably won't get the realistic results you want.  Now the REAL work begins, and that is tweaking the player attributes.  This is necessary because pulling in the stats from the Lahman database don't always translate accurately to MVPEdit settings.  For example, if you have a relief pitcher that had 8 at-bats during the season and he got 3 hits, that would mean that his battting average was .375.  MVPEdit is probably going to give this guy contact ratings in the 90's!

When I create the rosters in the Total Classics mods.  I have a 15-20 page document containing global tweaks that was given to me by stecropper, one of the original classic roster makers and a collaborator on MVPEdit.  I apply these global tweaks across all major league players and then run numerous single season dynasty simulations to make sure that the final results (regular season standings, postseason results, statistical leaders, award winners) are somewhat close to the final results for the year I am modding.  In between each simulation, I will tweak individual player attributes if a player's stats are too high or too low.

It can take me weeks or months to come up with a roster I am happy with, depending upon how much time I have to mod.  I tend to be a perfectionist when it comes to the Total Classics mods and feel that if I am going to create a mod, I might as well create something I am proud of and that I want to play myself. 

So in short, it's not a trivial task to create historically accurate rosters.

This is my core motivation when I mod anything for these games. If I'm not proud of what I've worked on, why release it? Also, roster work is a science once you get formulas down and understand how the game calculates data.

Also, that document should be shared as a tutorial ;)

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2020 at 3:24 PM, Kccitystar said:

This is my core motivation when I mod anything for these games. If I'm not proud of what I've worked on, why release it? Also, roster work is a science once you get formulas down and understand how the game calculates data.

Also, that document should be shared as a tutorial ;)

Actually the Global tweaks and roster building process are already here on the website as a “sticky” topic:

Archived