Blue Purple Red Orange Gold Green Teal Chocolate Charcoal
Blue Purple Red Orange Gold Green Teal Chocolate Charcoal
WacoKid

Editing Pitch Physics

Hey Everyone,

After discovering reditor, and learning a little bit, I started messing with the Pitch Physics.  Thanks to @Kccitystar for pointing me in the right direction of where to start.  I think I got my first decent result toward a more realistic flight path of the 2 seamer.  The settings I edited for the pitch are in the description of the youtube video.  I think the flight path is pretty good.  I haven't tried hitting against it yet, or determined if there is going to be a huge effect on contact for hitters yet.  This is just a preview of whats going on.  Input is welcome.

Thanks,

Chris

That looks great brother! Sidenote, using Streamable over YouTube is *perfect* for these types of short clips.

Also, the DownImp 1/2 values might be associated with movement when there's minimal/maximum effort on each pitch, it looks like.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Kccitystar said:

That looks great brother! Sidenote, using Streamable over YouTube is *perfect* for these types of short clips.

Also, the DownImp 1/2 values might be associated with movement when there's minimal/maximum effort on each pitch, it looks like.

Thank you!  Ill take a look into the Streamable option to see how it works.  I do like the ease of recording with windows, just win+alt+r and I'm good, very quick and I can record at full resolution and 60fps.  The issues I was having was recording with Nvidia, was giving me weird resolutions and only recording 1/4 of the screen.

I'll give it a shot throwing the pitches at medium effort to see how things change for sure.  Tinkering with the horiz. impulse and parameter 4 values I'm discovering if you add or increase the value in horiz impusle, you need to lower the value in parameter 4 to balance out, or the effect is way over the top.  Also it appears that using low values will help create the effect i was looking for.  Next week I will be able to actually play through a game to see how this affects the AI batting, and also playing with the individual pitchers movement values to see how drastic the changes would be with a higher attribute score.  I'm a little concerned the changes will fool the AI too much.  I have maybe thrown 50 pitches, they look at them a lot more.  I think the game could use a little more looking strikes/k's for realism but don't want to make it easy.

Here is 4 Seamer Take 1

Effect I am going for with 4 seamer, average lateral movement on a 4 seamer is between 4-5 inches.

and Circle Change Take 1

I think the circle change needs to have parameter 4 lowered for sure, it fools hitters kinda easily.

Chris

Edited by WacoKid
added reference to 4 seam changes

@WacoKid  Thank you very much friend, for everything you are doing for MLB2k any change to improve the game is welcome. And I think you're doing a good job, the pitch and his movements are a very important part of the game. Greetings 👍👍⚾⚾

2 hours ago, Bostonnico said:

@WacoKid  Thank you very much friend, for everything you are doing for MLB2k any change to improve the game is welcome. And I think you're doing a good job, the pitch and his movements are a very important part of the game. Greetings 👍👍⚾⚾

No Problem!  Was inspired by all the work I saw going on around here to keep this game current by yourself and many others.  Glad I held onto my copy.  I'll have plenty more coming this week.  Thanks for the kind words.

Something I am working on today, is looking at Sinkers and 2 seamers.  These two pitches perform fairly similarly in real life, but have wildly different stats in game.  In many analysis I have found, it appears the differences are so minimal, that these pitches can be classified together at times due to them being difficult to differentiate.  Based on PitchF/X data, the 2 seamer actually has a little more vertical movement than the sinker, and the sinker moves horizontally slightly more than the 2 seamer.  Trajectory wise, there doesn't appear to be much difference either, they will probably be withing 10-15 degrees of each other there.  The differences i see watching video of the two pitches is going to be the downward impulse.  I will look to flatten out the two seamer flight path a little bit, and add slightly more downward impulse  to the sinker on the back end of the flight path. 

Also playing with the 4 seamer, to accentuate horizontal movement just a bit more, I changed the trajectory to 350.  For a RHB and RHP, this means the ball will run in a little.  Gives the four seamer more life than being a straight laser. 

I got to play a game in my Braves franchise today with the pitch physics altered for the 4-seam, 2-Seam, Slider, Change, and sinker.  The game was a barn burner until the 11th inning, Braves vs Nats.  Strausberg started, got injured halfway through the third.   The Nats opened up on me in the 11th for 6 runs including a Grand slam by Soto off Luke Jackson.  Threw a slider I wanted in on his hands, didn't get down or in enough, he went down and gave it a ride.  Some things I noticed, ground ball % up on sinkers/2 seamers low and away, which is what you would expect.  The outside pitches batters get ahead of and roll over on result in weak grounders, or pop ups, like you would expect.  Batters seem to go with the pitches a bit more and spray seems more realistic.  Would really like some feedback on the sinker.  Trying to get this similar to 2 seamer, with a different Trajectory.  Results in the box score below.  Also attached the pitches.csv if someone wants to import and give a go.

Highlight reel from game just for fun.

Major League Baseball 2K12 5_24_2020 1_51_41 PM.png

Major League Baseball 2K12 5_24_2020 1_51_53 PM.png

Pitches.csv

Here is 15 minutes of a game with modded pitch physics.  Scherzer vs Keuchel.   Game ended up close, won 4-3 in the 10th, on a single by Freddie Freeman down the left field line.  I do think this is affecting the spray distribution when the ball is put in play, getting a lot more variance, less balls hit up the middle and into the alleys, more even distribution around the field.  Also attached the pitches.csv here that has some changes made to the slider.  Adjusted trajectory to 120 from 115, also may look into flattening it out a little by removing some vertical

How the game ended.

Pitches.csv

3 hours ago, Bostonnico said:

@WacoKid  Thank you very much bro, this is something that will definitely make a great improvement in the game, congratulations you have done well.

Thanks man!  Any feedback would be helpful if you notice anything that could be better or just needs to be changed.  Still got a lot of work to do with this so it is by no means done.  Lots of individual stats to update and testing with different movement attributes and sliders.

Here is a video with some results from latest edits of 4sfb, 2sfb, and slider.  Got video from both hitters and pitchers perspective.  Finally was able to get the slider flattened out a little bit.