Jump to content

Anticipation attribute


Recommended Posts

After doing to reading over at Operation Sports forums in the slider section.  Im curious as to how many people here have been playong some of the other player specific attributes, specifically anticipation.  The pursuit of squeezing the most realistic gameplay possible out of this engine where modability is there, but limited is gonna require a deep dive into these kinds of things.

 

I have been using global edits for 25 anticipation, 99 accelleration, and 99 catcher plate.  From what i can gather in the OS forums and my own gameplay, the anticipation edit was inteded to help smooth out animations and does open up some new ones that weren't possible with higher settings.  But a shortcoming im noticing while doing playthroughs to test my edited pitches, is that pitchers dont field bunts that come right at them, and line drives/hard hit grounders get by first and third baseman with no effort from them.  Has anyone else seen that?  In an effort to fix this I am playing around with this attribute for specific positions.  Have brought anticipation up to 50 for catchers and pitchers, hoping to get some reaction out of the pitchers for bunts, they just kind of stand there and it doesn't reflect proper PFP and to get catchers to be a bit more proactive as well. 

 

Curious if anyone else has done any experimentation with these or other attributes that might help continue refining gameplay for the better.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Kccitystar said:

Acceleration is meant to determine how fast a user can go from 0 to whatever their maximum speed rating is, right?

Yeah, to clarify this works in conjunction with if/of running speed set fron 0-10.  I go back and forth.  The one thing i find annoying that i dont think we can control specifically with sliders is the slow OF throw release.  It can only be compensated for with throwing speed.  

 

My goal with starting a conversation on this is to find any attributes the community has played around with and start doing some investigating myself.  I want to come up with a set of global attribute edits by position to give us a better result.  Theres so much to customize, and sliders are personal preference, but I want the projects being worked on to all work together so when the roster is ready it is more than a roster, but bring a new feel to the game.

Edited by WacoKid
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have played a bit with the anticipation attribute, which can be applied to the majority of players in almost all positions, but where I have seen the greatest impact of this attribute is catchers, IF and OF

Anticipation is the player's ability to get ahead of a move depending on his position.

 

for example in catchers, that attribute helps them a lot to get ahead of a stole base and put the player out in 2B
In the IF and OF  helps in plays where a runner wants to take an extra base so the if / of gets release of the ball faster and also helps when the OF makes the big catches in the outfield.


in the runner it helps when they are going to steal bases or take an additional base  @WacoKid  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bostonnico said:

I have played a bit with the anticipation attribute, which can be applied to the majority of players in almost all positions, but where I have seen the greatest impact of this attribute is catchers, IF and OF

Anticipation is the player's ability to get ahead of a move depending on his position.
for example in catchers, that attribute helps them a lot to get ahead of a stole base and put the player out in 2B
In the IF and OF he helps in plays where a runner wants to take an extra base so the if / of gets release of the ball faster and also helps when the OF makes the big catches in the outfield.
in the runner it helps when they are going to steal bases or take an additional base  @WacoKid  

Ahhh ok.  So this could be used to influence outfielders speed of release on their throws?  That's something I've noticed lacking with anticipation at 25.  Do you recall a particular value that worked well with this?  Definitely want to do some experimentation at 1st and 3rd, at 25 the players look like they have no reflexes.  Looking back at what I read on OS about this, the main purpose of it was to make animations smoother.  I want to see if we can find a nice mid point to get proper reaction times and ok animations.  Thanks for the info on this, now I know what I should be looking for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, WacoKid said:

Do you recall a particular value that worked well with this?

In the entire infield, you can try 50 in anticipation, because the infielders move very well in their positions and have good throw speed and in outfield you can try 90 or more because this can help in the reaction of the outfielders and of course at throw speed

In the original roster that came with the game, the 2012 roster, this attribute is very important but from the rosters that have been edited here in the community, that attribute was set aside and only has the default values

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bostonnico said:

In the entire infield, you can try 50 in anticipation, because the infielders move very well in their positions and have good throw speed and in outfield you can try 90 or more because this can help in the reaction of the outfielders and of course at throw speed

In the original roster that came with the game, the 2012 roster, this attribute is very important but from the rosters that have been edited here in the community, that attribute was set aside and only has the default values

Thanks man, appreciate you sharing your experience.  I'll try this and see what happens.  Already made some global edits, just dont have time to do any testing until after next week.  As soon as I do I'll get some video up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Update:

Undid the 99 accelleration global edit and have reinstated the original values.  Input global edits for the anticipation attribute by position as follows:

 

1B: 50

2B: 45

3B: 40

SS: 45

All OF: 70

P & C 50

 

Got to play 1 game so far and it looks promising. 

Good things seen

-Saw some nice paths taken to make plays in the IF and OF.

-Reaction times to batted balls looking improved.

-Outfielders releasing the ball quicker, and actually seeing some closer plays on relay throws. 

-2nd base charging slow ground balls when needed to get the out at first.

 

Things that look funny

- pitchers fielding bunts in their vicinity.  This still isnt happening.

- saw a play where my second basemen charged a frozen rope, which shouldnt happen.  It was a screamer.

- looking further into middle infielders making too many successful diving plays up the middle.

 

Im going to work with these and adjust them as tightly as possible.  Really like it when you can change things by one value to dial them in.  Wish sliders worked this way.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, WacoKid said:

Update:

Undid the 99 accelleration global edit and have reinstated the original values.  Input global edits for the anticipation attribute by position as follows:

 

1B: 50

2B: 45

3B: 40

SS: 45

All OF: 70

P & C 50

 

Got to play 1 game so far and it looks promising. 

Good things seen

-Saw some nice paths taken to make plays in the IF and OF.

-Reaction times to batted balls looking improved.

-Outfielders releasing the ball quicker, and actually seeing some closer plays on relay throws. 

-2nd base charging slow ground balls when needed to get the out at first.

 

Things that look funny

- pitchers fielding bunts in their vicinity.  This still isnt happening.

- saw a play where my second basemen charged a frozen rope, which shouldnt happen.  It was a screamer.

- looking further into middle infielders making too many successful diving plays up the middle.

 

Im going to work with these and adjust them as tightly as possible.  Really like it when you can change things by one value to dial them in.  Wish sliders worked this way.

 

 

In the case of the diving plays, I've found range (and glove) to be more important than anticipation.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Cycloniac said:

In the case of the diving plays, I've found range (and glove) to be more important than anticipation.

 

 

Yeah, true as far as making the plays, anticipation just makes the reaction times look correct.  Too high and players react before they should, too late and they dont even make an effort to dive.  User/CPU power can influence this too, since it influences how hard the balls are hit, and how fast they come off the bat.  Its a fun balancing act. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Anticipation in 25 and Blocking the Plate (only for catchers) at 99 is working really well to me, but as you mentioned my outfielders are to slow releasing the ball, so probably I'm going to increase anticipation value to try to fix it.

 

@WacoKid  iI didn't try with acceleration at 99, I read you undid that value, which was the influence of that value at 99?

 

This is the article at Operations Sports if someone wants to read it, the animations are at page #3 in answer #17

https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/mlb-2k/602663-anticipation-attribute.html

 

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 12:06 AM, Fiebre said:

Anticipation in 25 and Blocking the Plate (only for catchers) at 99 is working really well to me, but as you mentioned my outfielders are to slow releasing the ball, so probably I'm going to increase anticipation value to try to fix it.

 

@WacoKid  iI didn't try with acceleration at 99, I read you undid that value, which was the influence of that value at 99?

 

This is the article at Operations Sports if someone wants to read it, the animations are at page #3 in answer #17

https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/mlb-2k/602663-anticipation-attribute.html

 

Thanks

I started doing global edits by position.  Infielders seem to need to be between 40-50 on this attribute, have to find the right spot for the not to be charging screamers hit at them.  Outfielders I have played around with 75-85 to get their throwing release to be in the right ballpark.  PItchers I also upped to over 50 so they would actually field bunts in a realistic way.  I haven't experimented much with catchers and wonder if making this too high would make them too good at throwing out guys stealing bases.   I'm kind of torn on form over function here, love animations looking better but also prefer more realistic results.  I think doing these by position might be the way to go to get the best of both worlds.  Been away for a minute but am trying to make time to get back into this.  Read that thread and learned a lot from it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WacoKid said:

I started doing global edits by position.  Infielders seem to need to be between 40-50 on this attribute, have to find the right spot for the not to be charging screamers hit at them.  Outfielders I have played around with 75-85 to get their throwing release to be in the right ballpark.  PItchers I also upped to over 50 so they would actually field bunts in a realistic way.  I haven't experimented much with catchers and wonder if making this too high would make them too good at throwing out guys stealing bases.   I'm kind of torn on form over function here, love animations looking better but also prefer more realistic results.  I think doing these by position might be the way to go to get the best of both worlds.  Been away for a minute but am trying to make time to get back into this.  Read that thread and learned a lot from it.

hi bro, greetings
definitely the best option is to assign the values individually for each position, so good results can be obtained.
that well that you are back here I hope all is well over there

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 2:52 AM, Bostonnico said:

hi bro, greetings
definitely the best option is to assign the values individually for each position, so good results can be obtained.
that well that you are back here I hope all is well over there

I agree from what I have seen so far.  Though one thing I saw today regarding pitchers and the anticipation attribute being set to 50, was that they will snag line drives hit back at the.  Though I saw the same animation for this twice in the same game.  I think I have a recording of the replay,  I'll see if I cant post it.  It didn't look natural at all, be interesting to see how lowering anticipation to 45 and increasing fielding ability might give a different result.  Will have some time Wednesday to test.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...

Started jumping back into this this week, as well as tweaking sliders accordingly.  Started over kind of, resetting anticipaiton, accelleration, and block plate to 25, 99, and 99, and starting a new franchise using shoguns sliders for 25 anticipation.  I'm an 16 games played in and have been tweaking every 3 games or so. Initially was seeing too many doubles, and moved all OF players to 45 anticipation as well as reducing player/cpu contact and power, player side more than the CPU with better results.  After  3 different adjustments to anticipation, increasing slightly by position as needed, this is where i am now.

 

C- remains 25, still throwing out base stealers at a reasonable rate from both player/cpu perspective

P - Increased to 35 from 25.  They dont react to much at 25, I'd like to see more aggression on bunts in their viscinity without them catching every line drive hit back at them.  If you set pitchers at 50, they are hoovers for those.    Will continue to dial this one in most likely.

1B - 35, just increased from 30 due to some lack of effort on close ground balls at times

2B - 35, increased from 25 during first revision, and is staying for now since I haven't seen any glaring issues with how plays are handled.

SS - Increased to 40 from last revision of 35.  Still didn't seem to be playing to range and diving more than they should be.

3B - Increased to 45 from 35.  3B sees a lot more hard hit balls, and needs a better reaction times to behave more realistically.

OF -  Have all outfielders set to 55 now, was 45 before.  Surprisingly the issue here is that shallow fly balls escape them more than ones hit over their heads.  I was having opposite issue before, but this was a contact/power issue in sliders that is much better now.  I'm hoping to get better reaction times on the shallow flys where they should be caught or at least fielded more aggressively.  Also should find a good place for their throw release times to be. 

 

I'm hoping to find a good place with this attribute, and dial it in with IF/OF running/throwing speeds in sliders.  Along with bringing down User/CPU contact and power, i did also slightly increase OF run speed to help alleviate the issue of too many doubles or xbase hits.  Also looking at this from a franchise perspective of how this affects the human player.  At the start of the franchise, first 5 or 6 games, there were way too many hits and runs with shoguns base set of sliders IMO.  My team was leading the league in many offensive categories, way more than they should.  So also playing with the CPU pitching sliders from that set to make it slightly more difficult as needed.  After first adjustments, box scores began to look tighter and I saw a few games go into extra innings in which I lost both.  CPU Hitters on the higher end are tough outs to get, and battle deeper into the counts, and on my end I have to be much more patient and work the counts to find good pitches to hit.  I probably still get too many hits but I think this is more due to my higher frequency of play recently and need to adjust contact/power sliders more.  After this next revision I will post where the sliders are for other folks to try. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

This has morphed into something else all together for me.  Playing with sliders is a lot of fun, but got into playing with player overalls, and some of the individual ratings.  I did want to share the slider set as I have last revised it since I have enjoyed it and feel it really elevated the game for me. 

 

This set is modified from shoguns 25 anticipation set from operation sports, tweaked for the following anticipation ratings by position.  I also did global edits to the roster i was using for 90 accelleration, 99 catcher block the plate.  I hope others can enjoy this like I have.

 

Global Anticipation edit

C- 25

P - 30  Really helps pitchers properly perform fielding duties like covering first when needed

1B - 35

2B - 35

SS - 40

3B - 45

OF -  55

 

Slider description below - Input from All-Star Difficulty

Values User/CPU

Batting

Contact - 35/40

Power - 40/50

Bunt Contact 50/50

Bunt Success 45/50

Batters Eye - 0 - I've never used this

 

Pitching

Meter Speed 65 - I like seeing the difference between a fresh and tired pitcher, this really shows the diffrence

Pitch Speed - 100/100

Break Influence - 50/50

Pitcher Control - 30/NA

Pitch Success - NA/65

Strike Zone Tendancy - NA/45 This really gets the AI to pitch to the edges of the zone more, they do get friendly calls much of the time so don't get too comfortable

 

Fielding

Throw Accuracy - 50/NA

Gather Error Freq. - 40/40

Throw Error Freq. - 45/45

OF Throw Speed - 80/80 this is high but i like seeing close plays and attempts from the AI outfielders

IF Throw Speed - 70/70

OF Run Speed - 10/10

IF Run Speed - 5/5 This can be higher, but any lower and the pitcher will never make it to first in time when they have to cover the bag, the only real issue I see with this being 0.

 

Base Running

Baserunner Speed - 60/60

Pickoff Success - 45/NA

Catcher Arm Strength - 55/60

Catcher Arm Accuracy - 45/45

AI Hit n Run Tendency - 55

AI Sac Bunt Tendency - 55

AI Squeeze Tendency - 40

AI Base Running Aggression - 65

AI Steal Aggression - 50

 

 

shogun25 ant.SLD

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...

I like the looks of what you are doing here.  I know this is a few months old. You might check out Wud's thread from a few years back. Had lots of good information there about fielder range, acceleration, and clutch ratings. All this put together could be something fantastic. If you are interested take a look. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.