supernewb with basic questions..

pedromartinez

Hello,
I have nostalgia for MVP Baseball '04/'05 and found this site/community in researching how I can run the game on my current PC. I read the forums discussing the issues with running the game on Win10 and I understand Win7/XP are preferable. I also read that Microsoft is no longer supporting Win7 from 2020, but that this shouldn't affect gameplay of MVP. But then you have to have a separate computer just for running MVP. 
Is this all accurate? I'm just trying to find out where to begin. I have a PC with good specs for gaming but no CD-rom drive. Actually that's my other question. How do you run a CD-rom game without a drive, are you guys using an external drive which connects via USB or something? 
Thanks in advance --

It is hard to run this fifteen-year-old game on Windows 10. You can run it on XP, Vista and Windows 7 without the headaches.

It is true, Microsoft is no longer supporting Windows 7 after this year but you can continue to play it on Windows 7. 

You need a legitimate copy of Mvp 2004 or 2005. If you don't have that you will run into problems and we won't be able to help you out.

An external CD-Rom drive will install the game on your system. I don't use one because I have a CD drive on mine.

Welcome to the website!

25 minutes ago, pedromartinez said:

Thank you and thanks for the reply!
What are you and others on this site planning to do when support for Win7 ends? 

There is nothing that needs to be done.  I mainly play the game on a PC running Windows XP and support for XP ended years ago.  I also have a Windows 7 laptop that that I play the game on.  Just because Windows XP and Windows 7 are no longer supported, it doesn't mean the game won't run.

When I joined this community in the winter - literally weeks before COVID 19 hit America - I purchased an old Dell desktop computer that already had Windows 7 installed on it. I bought the original MVP 2005 game on Ebay for 75 bucks and found this amazing website. From everything I've read, the biggest key in my situation is simply to avoid connecting this computer to the web. I have multiple laptops and other desktop computers, so I don't need this specific computer for the web. I have this Windows 7 computer specifically for gaming. So I've disabled wireless connecting and I'll never, ever connect via Ethernet. It's a stand-alone desktop with a working version of Windows 7 that doesn't need regular updates, and I'll never (hopefully) have to worry about the whole system getting corrupted or revamped so I can play issue-free for many years to come! 

2 hours ago, Jim825 said:

There is nothing that needs to be done.  I mainly play the game on a PC running Windows XP and support for XP ended years ago.  I also have a Windows 7 laptop that that I play the game on.  Just because Windows XP and Windows 7 are no longer supported, it doesn't mean the game won't run.

Yeah that makes sense, I just don't have a separate machine. Sounds like everyone on this site does. 

Savoy Special -- Thank you for the comment, that's a nice overview of the steps I would need to take. 

Archived