Installation Problems: Windows XP

HalfricanWSox24

Hey fellas,

I have been trying to figure out how to install MVP 2005 (with proper discs) for a couple of years now. Cleaned an old Windows Vista Dell, couldn't install the game. Now I bought an old Windows XP Dell computer, completely wiped clean with nothing else on it, and am getting the same installation error. I install the first disk it works fine, and then install the second disk and get to 65% and get the same error message every time, which reads,

"A problem occurred when trying to transfer the file 'E:\data\stadium\aa01nite.big' from the media

Do you want to retry to copy the file, or cancel the installation?

I clicked retry continuously until it read 100% installation in the XP, but the game still does not finish downloading to the computer. It gets to 100% and just does nothing, with the error message still showing up. Does anyone know how to get past this error? Is it a directory issue from initial download?

Any advice and guidance is much appreciated. I have tried on multiple computers and OS so I know it has to be something I am not doing correctly upon installation.

I really appreciate any insight guys,

Happy playoffs. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, HalfricanWSox24 said:

Hope not. It was a pricey copy. Could that be it? I mean the disk looks like it is in great shape. No scratches or anything. Hate to buy a second copy to have same thing happen. 

Thanks for the insight. 

Well, it sounds like it because from what I am gathering from your post is that it will install on disk two all the way up to a certain point and then that's that. How this can be fixed is something I don't know how to do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I decided to post additional questions in my own thread, since I have successfully installed the game and now just trying to get the mods into my copied folder. I am struggling with the installation of the Total Installer Thingy. I am using a Windows XP. When I try and download this tool the setup wizard does not appear. My computer tries to read the download file as an Adobe document. How do I get this tool installed? What program should I be using to open it since it is not automatically installing upon download?

Thanks in advance. 

I tried to download this again and I did not get directed to a .PDF file. There is no setup for this file. What is included in this file is this:

1. The TiT program itself.

2. The Readme file

3. The INI file

Unzip this mod and place it in the main directory of the game. Be sure to have the latest net framework installed.

This is not the only way to get mods to work but Krawitham made this utility to make it easier to install.

Don't use TiT to install stadiums. Just make a backup of the stadium you want to replace.

No dice on a different browser. I do not have anything on the computer to read RAR files it looks like. I tried downloading something that would, but it would not work. 

If I do not really need the TiT to get the mods to work maybe I just won't use it. 

I still have no idea how to get these mods to work though. Made a new folder, copied the MVP shortcut, extracted a mod download into the folder, click on the icon, and slip in disc 2 as prompted, and it runs, but not with the mod. Following all of the directions on the site in terms making new directories/folders, extracting files, and do not know how to integrate these mods into the game. 

I know I am doing something wrong, I just have no idea what. Maybe I have to copy all individual game files and move them to new folder too? 

I am a bit lost. 

I will keep searching the forum and past threads to see what I am doing wrong. 

I feel like I am so close, yet so far away. Good thing is I have the clean install of the game, which is more than half the battle. 

Ah, there it is. You have nothing to read the .RAR file format. That's ok because it's an easy fix. Download WinRAR right here and then try again.

Now we move on. First make sure you have installed the game properly. If you want multiple installations then go to this thread here to learn how to do that.

You do not have to move any files to a new folder. Ever. That is one thing you are doing wrong.

Ok, good luck. At least now you can get the Total Installer Thingy to work.

Ok thanks. I am just a bit confused at where to put the mod downloads. I thought we had to create a new directory/folder for each mod, and then a copy of the game in that respective folder. I am just confused at how to get the mod downloads integrated with the fresh copy of the game. Am I just missing a simple step?

Thanks for the info on WinRar, I figured out how to zip and unzip it as well, but WinRar should work as far as getting it to read. Again, it does not sound like I even need the TiT to down the mods and get the game to work with them though? 

I truly appreciate the help. Some of the mods did download as zips on the computer fine, and then I can extract the contents, I am just stuck on what I need to do to get them in the game? 

1 hour ago, HalfricanWSox24 said:

I truly appreciate the help. Some of the mods did download as zips on the computer fine, and then I can extract the contents, I am just stuck on what I need to do to get them in the game? 

Which mods are you trying to install?  That would provide a clue as to other available installation methods beside the Total Installer Thingy. 

Mods should contain installation instructions of actual installers (which is include in my mods). I am guessing that the mods you are interested in simply say “Install with Total Installer Thingy”. 

34 minutes ago, HalfricanWSox24 said:

I just did a couple of test mods like one called MVP15 and was able to download, zip, and extract. But again,  I do not know how to integrate them into the game. There was nothing noted about the TIT in this specific mod, but maybe I need it? 

What you need to do is read the directions and make sure you understand what you read. It clearly states that this mod requires a copy of MVP Baseball 2005 to be installed on your computer. That means you need another copy of MVP installed and I already gave you the link to the thread where you can learn how to do this.

No TiT for this mod. It comes with an installer.

I understand that I need a copy of MVP baseball to be installed on my computer. That is what I have done. I have a fresh install with the original game discs for original installing. Then I make another directory with a copy of the game for each of the mods, unless I am completely interpreting the installation of the copy of the game entirely wrong? I did not think I needed TiT for his mod, that is why I do not understand why I cannot get it to run. 

I have the mod in directory with copy of the game, but when I click on MVP icon in the folder, the regular game loads without the mod. 

Again, I am new to all of this, so if I am asking the most basic questions, it is just because this is entirely new to me, and I am not fully grasping it yet. 

19 hours ago, HalfricanWSox24 said:

I understand that I need a copy of MVP baseball to be installed on my computer. That is what I have done. I have a fresh install with the original game discs for original installing. Then I make another directory with a copy of the game for each of the mods, unless I am completely interpreting the installation of the copy of the game entirely wrong? I did not think I needed TiT for his mod, that is why I do not understand why I cannot get it to run. 

No, and this is what you are doing wrong. Let’s start again. First, go read that thread again. That is just so I don’t have to write everything there in this thread.

You need have a direct out-of-the-box install of the game on your hard drive.  I recommend you ALWAYS have an untouched version on your system just so you are ready and able to make another copy of it when you want to install another season mod.

Ok, so now you have TWO copies of Mvp installed. Rename the second one Mvp 15 because that’s what you downloaded. Unzip Mvp15 and you will see an installer there. Run the installer and direct it to where you have the Mvp 15 folder. Then let it do its job. You are done.

You do NOT NEED TiT for this mod or any other season mod EXCEPT for Mvp 2008.

1 hour ago, HalfricanWSox24 said:

So I have a direct out of the box install of the game on my hard drive already. You are saying try and install it again out of box? Or simply make another copy? This is where the confusion lies. 

Believe it or not we are getting somewhere. What I mean by a direct out-of-the-box install is when you are just finished installing the game on your system from the two discs and then NOT INSTALLING any mods on it. We need this copy completely without any mods. None!!

Now you do not have to install the game again if you follow my directions from the first post from the other thread.

When you did your first out-of-the-box install you can copy that entire directory into a new directory called mvp15, since that is the mod you grabbed. For instruction purposes only please name your first direct out-of-the-box install Mvp 05 Clean. Go ahead and rename that later on if you want but right now just do that.

Now your Mvp directory should look something like this:

C:\Mvp 05 Clean
      Mvp 15

Now, if you want to install any other season or classic mod you do the same thing. For example say if you want to install Total Classics 1951. You make a new directory called 1951 and copy the contents of Mvp 05 Clean in it and then install the 1951 mod. Your directory will then look like this.

C:\Mvp 05 Clean
      Mvp 15

That’s it. You should be all set.

When you want to install a mod, DO NOT put the downloaded mod in the folder where you want to install it. 

Following Yankee4Life’s example, create a folder called C:\MVP15 Download

When you download the mod, put it in that folder. Next, go into that folder. If the mod is a .Zip, .Rar or .7z file, extract the contents (typically the installer and perhaps other files) to the MVP15 Download folder. 

Run the installer that came with the mod. When it asks where you want to install it, select the C:\MVP15 folder that Yankee4Life had you create. 

Once the installation is complete, go into the C:\MVP15 folder and run the mvp2005.exe file to start the modded game.   You can then create a new shortcut for the modded game on your desktop so you don’t have to go into File Explorer to start it. 

Archived