18 Years

Pirate

18 years have passed since I joined this site. I was in college, working full-time in retail, and hoping to get a degree, get married, and move away from NE Ohio. I loved the High Heat series, fell in love with MVP 2004, and then started a love affair with MVP 2005 that lasted years. I messed with files and modded stadiums far more than I ever played the game. I found community here and came to look at so many of you as friends. 

In 2005, I got married, moved to Arizona, and kept modding when I had time. In 2008, I moved to Indiana. A year later I released my last stadium and welcomed my first kid into the world. Then I got caught up in The Show and left MVP behind. Every once in a while I would drop in and see what y'all were doing. The site kept going and it was amazing. Over the years, I had another child with my wife, we left Indiana and moved to North Carolina, and still I would think back to the days I modded stadiums as part of a community here. 

On a hike with my family the other day, my son was waxing poetic about the programs he was making and the advancements he was accomplishing in Blender. We talked through some troubleshooting of his textures and he asked how I knew about this stuff... I told him that a long, long time ago, I did some modding and used some 3D modeling software to make stadiums.

He looked up the site and looked around. He was shocked at the lack of quality in the graphics (kids these days), but he was kind of amazed at the download numbers. He won't admit it, but I think he was impressed. He fired up his PC, made a virtual machine and tried to get MVP working. he hit lot's of roadblocks, and finally gave up. A couple days ago he sent me  a link to an old PC on ebay and wanted me to buy it to see if he could get his dad's old game running. 

18 years ago, I was working at Wal-Mart, wooing his mom, and he wasn't a thought in my wildest dreams... and now he's passed all my abilities with a computer and is finding his way. In fact, he's closer in age to 2004-me than I am now. Where does time go?

Pirate my friend is always a pleasure to see you here and I hope you and your family are doing very well.

Your work here is still used by everyone even if they are unaware of it because your stadiums are in practically all of the Total Classics and season mods.

I am very sure that once your son is able to play this game he is going to be impressed at all the work that you have done when you were here. And maybe MVP '05 is not in the same league as The Show as far as graphics goes but this game still holds its own and he will see that once he gets into it.

As far as answering that age-old question about where the time goes I really wish I knew because eighteen years ago I was still working and I was able to to get around a lot easier. Now I have a disability retirement and my knees argue with me every time I want to start walking.

It is always nice to see you around here and please don't be a stranger.

Thanks to my brother I discovered this site in 2008, I was impressed with your work, I am a die-hard fan of baseball and this page has given me a lot of joy over the years, I have no words of gratitude for all those who have made this game one of the best over the years thanks to the mods, thanks Pirate, and thanks to all. 

Archived