Faces

AlexTony

Thanks, STECropper, although if you look at the lower right, you'll notice I'm still too dim to learn to install portraits. That's my next modding challenge. I was so proud when I finally installed a working overlay. Here are two of my mistakes on the way to this beta-Mays:

missingwillie.jpg

http://www.peterbernard.com/missingwillie.jpg

willielosesface.jpg

http://www.peterbernard.com/willielosesface.jpg

I don't even remember HOW I did the second one.

If one of you know, please tell me,

because now I wish I had saved him, he's kind of cool.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow peterbernard great start , It really looks llike W.Mays wonder how much HR he will hit with steroids hehe.

http://www.peterbernard.com/willielosesface.jpg

I think the missing face was how much bits U save in the image. Example image was 64 bits but EA require it to be 128 bits. This happen to me once when I did HighHeat baseball 2004 faces. It was like ghost on my players hehe.

Any face-makers or just people with brains out there who can tell me what I'm doing wrong--I've got Munson and Mays working in the game. They both could use touchups but at least they work. Then I got a DiMaggio working that needed a LOT of touchups. See below.

joedmach1.jpg

So I did fixes on his face, put it back in the game, and the game crashed when I started it up. I've moved on to other faces, and now they all make the game crash, only Mays and Munson function. I can't figure out what I'm doing differently, but it's probably something really obvious. Anyway, I'm stuck again, which makes no sense. I wish I understood what I was doing outside of the art part. Does anyone know why they crash so I can fix it? I could have had like 4 more faces done by now if I weren't wasting time on this.

peterbernard,

I have NO Idea since I have no clue how to do what you are doing. But, perhaps Mays & Munson are working because they are either the older '04 type face slots are they are the newer '05 type slots whereas the others that are crashing or the opposite type slot.

Does Mays & Munson still work since you say the game crashes at start up perhaps they aren't working any longer as well.

Maybe just try the ones that are crashing in the same slots as those that are working.

This is probably no help at all but I just wanted to attempt to help just in case.

No, although I did attempt a Ted Williams on an 04 face, maybe that's where this started. Mays and Munson are still working, as long as none of the other new faces are in the game with them. DiMag doesn't work any longer. I noticed Munson and Mays were 16 bpp and some of the others were 24, but Dimag is 16 and doesn't work. I'm going to build a bunch of faces in photoshop then get back to this part tomorrow I think.

Here's an attempt at putting Rizzuto over Jorge Posada's mesh, like I did DiMaggio.

dascootah.jpg

The nose is wrong in both cases, I need someone with more of the classic "Roman" nose. Rizzuto's is thinner, DiMag's is wider. Jorge's nose curves more but I'm not getting it right in oedit yet, I'm still really clumsy in oedit so it's slow still.

ncf.jpg

Thanks to five for the shot that this is mostly taken from. It is still in progress, the 3/4 and side views are terrible, but you can sort of squint at the front and see what I'm aiming for I think. Oh whoever said Willie Mays' face color needs changing I think it's too red, is that what you meant? I plan to unsharpen his face at some point. The oldtimers come out too bright because of stark lighting in the photos, I'm starting to try to account for that.

Nice conversion idea, but how did u find a face model that fit nicely on his texture? Fatboy Mo Vaughn is also in 2005, what a waste. Here is my Darryl Strawberry ingame shot

ss2to.png

Gotta touch up the eyes a bit and figure out why the hell it keeps crashing on me when he comes to bat. Gil Hodges, "the quiet man" will be next.

WOW that's a good Daryl. re: Rickey: I imported all three files from 2004 as is, no work. They conveniently left face c171 blank for us, his same slot as last year. I just sent Alex Tony this face to see what he thinks--one of his favorite Tigers not in the game, Norm Cash. I think it's done but AlexTony can be the judge of that I guess.

normcashmontage.jpg

Gotta touch up the eyes a bit and figure out why the hell it keeps crashing on me when he comes to bat. Gil Hodges, "the quiet man" will be next.

When you bring the bmp into the fsh, does it save it as a 16 bpp or 24 bpp? I've found 16 works and 24 doesn't. It has to do with one of the pulldown menus in FHSed which I use for that. I leave it the default and it works fine. I don't know if that's what is happening to you, but that solved my problems from yesterday.

Peter:

Been through some the same learning curve for faces. Here is a rather long tutorial that is in the works. Maybe it will help and thanks for your work!

Ok here goes my basic tutorial (in the works) Hope this helps:

It is long winded>

BASIC FACE MOD TUTORIAL Using New 2005 face format (two sided face): dated 4/1/05

This is a rough guide and I wish it were the perfect tutorial:

Here is what I am doing at creating a face that is not at all in the game. I did Mickey Mantle for 2004. You will have more success if you are just modding an existing face.

I have included the following programs and bat files. Some are also available at mvpmods.com

1. gfxpak.exe

2. unpack modelsbig.bat

3. install new face to modelsbig.bat

4. FishEd program files in .rar zip

5. ord.exe

6. o to ord.bat

7. ord to o.bat

8. Oedit Install this Oedit program separate from below.

A. Models Big unpack Folder setup:

1. Copy the models.big file from your main MVP Data folder and place it in a new folder on your desktop named models 2005 big unpacked or whatever you want to name it.

2. Copy gfxpak.exe to this folder.

3. Place the unpack.bat file in the folder and double click on this. It will unpack all of the orl, ord and fsh files for faces and other face related items.

B. Folder for Player to be modded:

1. Go to the desktop and create a folder for the player you are doing to do. For example Rose for Pete Rose.

2. In the folder, Rose, put in the FishEd program files, ord.exe, ord to o.bat and o to ord.bat

C. Texture and Oedit (.o) (or 3D image) skeleton model:

1. Get a really good high pixel image of the player without a big smile. Could be really tough to find. Classic photos are poor so you have to do it from scratch.

Important:

This tutorial is for the 128 x 256 newer 2005 both sides of face bmp format. So far, I have not worked with the one side face bmp that the 2004 game used. The 2004 oedit files (orl and ord) used three parts last year. This year there is one part and therefore the 2004 orl and ord are not compatible.

2. Next, find players with similar skeletal faces. Using FishEd I opened and saves all of the .fsh files to bmp and printed them out as thumbnails so I can find some similar faces. The eyes are critical. I really see now how God made each of us so unique because of all the 400 faces, none had the eyes I was trying to find, in my case Mickey Mantle. You can also used MVP Edit to see the faces you may want to work with.

Study your player's face and skeleton because you can use Oedit to move things around. Face features such as nose, jaw structure, side views also need to be tweaked by trial and error. It is very tedious. Try to stay away from moving the vertices in Oedit near the eyes and mouth as it may misalign the mouth to the teeth and you will not see the teeth in the right place. Same goes for the eyes.

3. Next, after you find the fsh you want to overwrite use FshEd to export it as a 32 bit. bmp file and save it with a name of your choosing. For example c128.bmp.

Open the fsh converted to bmp file in your photoshop or paintshop or other program and work your face from the photo onto the bmp. If your photo stinks forget it. You can however find other players skin tone, nose, lips etc and cut and paste to build the face of your player. This is tedious but I must be a little crazy in doing.

When pasting onto the fsh converted bmp, you have to make sure that the nose, eyes and lips paste over exactly or the result will be eyes in the wrong place on the skeleton (orl. ord) files and in the game you may have two sets of eyes on the player, the 3d ones and the static ones. I would stay away from the eyes as much as possible.

Skin tones of all parts pasted should match up. Use your photo program to tweak the tones. Try not to use the smudge tool as this makes the face to smooth looking without any texture. Cut and paste flesh sections is the way to go in my opinion.

4. Now you have a decent texture. You will have to import this via the Tutorial below using Fished. Use the 78h | 120 | R5G6B5 selection in the scoll down list. The fsh file needs to be 32.1 kb.

Save the file as whatever you want such as c518redonenose.fsh and put it or save it to the Player folder created above.

5. Go to the Player folder where the ord to o and o to ord programs and batch files are located and convert the ord and orl to the o file. Once you see the o file show up it will have the oedit icon look. Double click on it to 0pen Oedit. In Oedit go to the tab "manage textures".

6. Now comes the painstaking oedit shaping of the face to what you want. I would recommend staying away from moving the area too much.

I try work with a face someone has helped me with knowing may be a skeletal match for example Pete Rose. You need to take baby steps with Oedit. Rose needed mouth, nose, eye and jaw adjustments to the Texas shortstop Mr. Young that I was using face 518. I slightly adjusted the vertices for the nose and then in Oedit I select the save tab. Now the Oedit file in the Player folder is now adjusted for the nose. Next you double click the o to ord.bat file and it will create new c518.orl and c518.ord files in the Player folder.

I rename these to c518noseadjust.orl and c518noseadjust.ord.

A word on the oedit, after you made the 3d changes, save and you will see the oedit file in your folder you are working from. Now use o to ord to get the edited .orl and .ord files. At this point I rename them to something like

c518 eyes lid shift down.orl and same wording for .ord

INSTALL

You need to have gfxpak program in the main MVP folder. Also need an install.bat file. You can use the one that other people include in their face files or just create your own using notepad but save it as a .bat file. Also, I attached one.

here is mine for face 518

I then copy these and paste into the MVP main folder and run the install.bat program.

Another thing using Oedit. Try to select several of the vertices and move them together to get a feel for it. Most of the time, I move one vertice at time. Use the UV Texture to locate the vertices but move them in the side, front or top views. To zoom in Use Ctrl W, Pan use ctrl and the mouse, To get the 3d model turned and zoomed in, first turn him using the mouse, center him using ctrl and the mouse, then let go of ctrl and right lick and move him in. He does not move perfectly straight in and you will have to adjust. Have fun with this as this can be a little frustrating.

Use Fraps to screen capture your face from all angles in the game so you can see where you need to make changes.

I could go on and on but it is really a lot of trial and error, at least for me.

Another thing to do. To save you having to click to the right teams to setup the game and check your progress, you can put the player first in the batting order and arrange the game to have your play now or exhibition team with the one you have your modded player on be at the start of the game choices. This will save time and cut down on some frustration since you will undoubtedly be experiencing some.

Best wishes.

69Yanks

Thanks, 69 Yanks, i had read and used an earlier version of your tutorial that got sneaked to me through the grapevine. Once I've finished mine for my personal use, I'll decide whether I even need to publish my own as I had been going to. I think you cover most of it. Here's a movie of Norm Cash beta in action:

http://www.peterbernard.com/normcashhomer.wmv

peterbernard,

Man I know AlexTony will be dancing for joy when he sees your replay ....... especially since it will be the first time he ever witnessed a Stormin' Norman homer from the right side of the plate!

You are doing a fabulous job - I would greatly like to donate to your continued efforts in making so many of these Classic Players seemingly come to life before our very eyes. Please let me know how I might make a very deserved donation to your efforts.

Thanks Indeed for this - it is wonderful !

Don

Archived