Anaheim Stadium - The Protest Version...The work ends!

HaloFan

Surprise.jpg

What's this? A shot of the day version? Yes, I went back and did minor alterations to the Day version to bring it up to the same level as the night version. I added the dugout suites from the night version to replace the originals, and did some cleanup on other areas that I missed before the release.

I also shrunk down the same file in the day version that I did in the night one, which will hopefully make the stadium more stable for those with problems. The change of that one image reduced the size of the anahday.big file from 21.7 Mb to 19.3 Mb with zero reduction in quality. The night version currenty stands at 20.6.

I'm going to release the updated Day version along with the Night version in a single package, once I finish the night version.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I'm starting to remember one of the reasons I never finished the night version last year. The game plays a cruel trick, it reduces the quality of images from 24-bit BMP's to 16-bit. Most of the time, this isn't a problem, as most images don't need the hues and colors that come from 24-bit. But when you're trying to do a realistic looking night sky, it's a very noticeable difference.

It's frustrating, you make a nice image, then the game goes and botches it up. You can't even import a decent looking 16 bit image yourself, because NFSHTool wants a 24-bit image.

You end up getting something that looks like this:

CrapSky.jpg

The screenshot doesn't really show how bad it is, sadly.

This is my source image:

GoodSky.jpg

If only the game would keep it at a decent looking level.

I've compressed your day version with Biggui and it runs better for me.

17,351,776 down to 3,433,199. Am I stating the obvious or is my head playing games with me.

~Edit

something is going on now. I've compressed every modded stadium that hasen't been already through biggui and they all seem to run better. When I compress yours, it crashes at the loading screen just before the start of the game. Oh well, it still runs fine for me anyway without compressing.

Yeah, I tried compressing things myself. BigGUI can't compress my cram32.fsh file properly, I mean it will look like it actually does it, but my guess is that it corrupts it in the process. GFXPAK won't compress it either, too large for it. I think NFSHTool was the only one that actually went through the compression process successfully, but the game crashed when I tried to use it.

I just looked at the Arlington and Camden mods, which are the only mods that are close to mine in the size department. Their cram32 files are around 7 or 8 megs. My mod: The day version is almost 15 megs, and the night version is over 15.

So that leaves an option. I could make a lower resolution version of the stadium for those having problems. I don't think it would look that much worse, but there would obviously be a reduction in quality.

halo, I would love to play in your stad but it continues to crash even if I change the unis. The ea default night works but the day crashes. This is frustrating because to me this is some great work you do for us. any suggestions on what can be done. anybody?

Did you read the post right above yours?

Some systems obviously can't handle the full version of my stadiums, so the only solution will be to offer a lower resolution version that should be more compatible for those with systems that can't handle the full release.

Anyway, tonight I went and fixed something that was bugging me in the night version:

HomeArea.jpg

I've artifically brightened up this screenshot to bring out detail.

I was disappointed to find that the original verticies I used on this part of the ballpark were too dark to show off my work in the area. While I had put these images in, they couldn't be seen in the game at all. So I came up with an idea: use some of those screwed up verticies from the dugout area to get those images to show up.

It worked. They're still a littl dark, but at least now you can see them. I put a blue glowing light on the signs, as they have that in real life. That's why I brightened the screenshot, so you can see the blue a bit better. In the game you can see it if you look, but in that area it's just very very difficult to make it standout.

NightBuilding.jpg

I've also finished the building. I had to resize it and move it in order for it to show up decently, but it's there at least, and looks pretty good. I had to take the shot I had of the building and color correct it to make it look as if it was taken at night. The lights in the windows kinda sell it, but it's not perfect.

NightBuilding2.jpg

Here it is from the other side of the scoreboard, here the illusion of night works a bit better. On the wall, you can see my slightly resized Banco Popular ad, as I felt it was a little too big before.

Also note: I've reduced the size of an image file in the day version without sacrificing quality, and have pushed the file size down. The more I'm able to do this, the less I'll have to cut quality wise later. We'll see what happens when this is all ready for release.

HaloFan,

If you move a part from another section of the stadium that causes it to be too dark or too bright, try changing the color in the vertex properties in oedit. Find another part in that location that is lit properly and copy the color code to your new part. It might take some trial and error, but it could solve some of your problems.

What color codes? I see nothing like that in OEdit. Is this something in OEdit 0.2.40? I use 0.2.38 because .40 loads the stadium backwards.

Edit: OK, I see what you mean, it was added for .40. Do you know how to get the stadium to not appear backwards in this version?

Edit 2: WOW! Thank you for this tip! This is the key to getting the stadium to look the way I feel it should. No more limitations due to what the game thinks a certain vertex should be!

Just look at the difference in these two images:

RFWall.jpg

WowTest.jpg

I've been trying to find a way to get those ads really white for a long time now. I couldn't even do it in the day version, but now that's all changed!

I was going to post the first pic anyway, as I went in and resized and repositioned all those ads on the right field wall to better match the real life version. I also remade the Albertsons ad, as I changed methods in how I made the white glow around the logo. It's now slightly clearer.

I'm using version 0.2.41 from March 3, 2004. It doesn't seem to load "backwards", but I never used 0.2.38 so I don't know the difference. It seems normal to me.

In 0.2.41, the stadium wireframe is loaded backwards. Right field appears as if it's in left field and vice versa. Bascially everything is flipped on the X axis. It saves fine and all, but it's not easy to work backwards from how it appears in the game.

But wow, what a great find, it even will allow me to fix all those screwed up vertices that wouldn't show color the whole way.

Edit: A Look at the problem:

OEditProblem.jpg

On the left is how the stadium looks in 0.2.41, while 0.2.38 is on the right.

Oh well, I've installed both side by side, so I can use one to change the colors and the other to do any vertex moving.

Lighting work continues on the night version, and thanks to hyman's advice, I've managed to take care of many of my pet peeves in that regard. The ads/ribbon boards down the baselines are now all properly show my lighting effects as opposed to how MVP thinks the lights should be. I'm very happy with the results.

NewLineup.jpg

Adam Kennedy was activated from the DL today, so I decided to redo the lineup on the scoreboard. The night version will feaure a Vs. RHP lineup, while the Day version will feature a Vs. LHP lineup. Barry Zito is now the pitcher in the day version. I've also updated the stats to current numbers as opposed to last season's numbers.

AKFront.jpg

Here are the right field ads, now all in white. I think they're a little bit too bright at this point, so I will tone them down, but they look much better than they did before. Jeez that Kennedy face is horrible. I think that's the worse one I've seen on Anaheim.

AKBack.jpg

Here is the behind home plate area in all it's glory. I was able to use the original verticies now, which gives me the perfect placement of ads and the scoreboard.

CoorsLightNight.jpg

And here's one more, The redone Coors Light billboard.

great job!!! can't wait to see the finished product!!

i wonder if you do a quick fix of arligton, all the mods have the scoreboard in the wrong place!!! the jumbotron is located in right field in real life, not center as showin in the game and in the mods.

Maybe later braves, but I've still got a full plate with Anaheim, although I'm very close to complete.

DayUpdate.jpg

Here's the color corrected and resized RF wall ads, now in their pure white glory! I always hated having those ads in an off white color, so it's grat to see them finally as the should be. This also shows the lefty lineup, exclusive to the day version.

I have color corrected the day version now, getting rid of the off color sections, including brightening up the ribbon boards. The changes in the day version are minimal from what has already been released, but noticeable.

So long as the Marlins new stadium is going to be built in Miami, why would there be a problem with the new name? If they want to reduce the scope of their name to better represent the city they play in, or they are lobbying the city itself to get more public cash for the stadium, that's fine.

But after they get this cash, or the stadium built or whatever, if they then turn around and decide to stab Miami in the back, then that's a problem. That's what Moreno did, he gets a sweetheart deal at the stadium and then gets rid of the provision that got the team that deal in the first place.

But just from the historical significance, the Florida Marlins have won 2 World Championships, and they really shouldn't change the name because of that.

I just noticed you're from Palm Beach, so I can understand why you'd be against the name change. I can understand. I became an Angel fan when they were the California Angels. The Florida name obviously better represents you, and a switch to a city designation would possibly split the fan base. It would certainly give me less of a reason to be a fan of the team if I weren't from Miami.

HaloFan, are you resizing the day version ads and such so that the game does not crash? I notice you are reworking it but I didn't see any post in reference to that matter?

AMAZING JOB BY THE WAY. BEST LOOKING WORK I HAVE EVER SEEN. Too bad you couldnt use your night sky. That thing was beautiful.

Great work! How difficult, though, would it be to add a daytime sky texture, other than just the single hue blue EA put in?

The sky actually isn't a single hue. It's hard to pick up in the game, but the image does have faint clouds. It's very faint, but there. My attempt at a night sky really soured me on trying skies, just too frustrating to get a good looking sky.

HaloFan, are you resizing the day version ads and such so that the game does not crash? I notice you are reworking it but I didn't see any post in reference to that matter?

AMAZING JOB BY THE WAY. BEST LOOKING WORK I HAVE EVER SEEN. Too bad you couldnt use your night sky. That thing was beautiful.

I'm going to release a low-res version of the stadium after the hi-res version.

The vast majority of the people using the stadium are not having problems, and many of those that are can be traced to either another mod, or using mod combinations. So I'm not going to compromise the full release to help it get to work for the few that are having problems. Since I have cut the file size down slightly, the low res followup might not even be necessary.

But I don't know how much of a cut that some people are going to need. I don't want to reduce image quality if I don't have to, but there isn't much more I can do to the files to cut them down without resizing the images.

When I started all of this over 3 weeks ago, I wasn't sure how long it was going to take me. I figured it would take at least a month to get all of this done and out to the people.

ScreenshotDay.jpg

ScreenshotNight.jpg

Turns out I had a week to spare ;) I did make one last minute change right as I was about to post these shots. I decided to tone down the whiteness in the RF ads in the night version. The screenshot reflects this final edit, as I feel it not only blends in the night version better, but it still looks far better than the way they would have looked if hyman hadn't turned me on to the color tip.

As you can see, the difference is night and day. Speaking of which, I completed the stadum select screen for the night version as well:

StadiumSelectNight.jpg

Well that's that. The night version is complete. Day Version 1.5 is complete. The stadium select screens are complete. Even the ReadMe is complete. All that's left is to upload the whole thing, and for you all to download it. The zip file is nearly 12 megs, so all you modem people, well I'm sorry, get some broadband.

Time to upload, and I hope these files are a bit more stable than the last release. If not, let me know, and I'll see about making the low-res version.

So long as the Marlins new stadium is going to be built in Miami, why would there be a problem with the new name? If they want to reduce the scope of their name to better represent the city they play in, or they are lobbying the city itself to get more public cash for the stadium, that's fine.

But after they get this cash, or the stadium built or whatever, if they then turn around and decide to stab Miami in the back, then that's a problem. That's what Moreno did, he gets a sweetheart deal at the stadium and then gets rid of the provision that got the team that deal in the first place.

But just from the historical significance, the Florida Marlins have won 2 World Championships, and they really shouldn't change the name because of that.

I just noticed you're from Palm Beach, so I can understand why you'd be against the name change. I can understand. I became an Angel fan when they were the California Angels. The Florida name obviously better represents you, and a switch to a city designation would possibly split the fan base. It would certainly give me less of a reason to be a fan of the team if I weren't from Miami.

for future refrence, i don't like the marlins at all, becuase they are divison rivals to my braves, but i like most of their players (not beckett and burnett, they have ego problems). also, bad news, i don't like the angels etheir, becuase you are rivals to the texas rangers, my al team. good luck anyway though. btw, i love your announcers on the radio.

Archived